PDA

View Full Version : Long Island man wrongfully convicted for slaying parents wins $10M settlement

gamewell45
04-20-2018, 01:32 AM
A Long Island man wrongfully convicted for killing his parents almost 30 years ago won a $10 million settlement with Suffolk County on Thursday.
Marty Tankleff spent nearly 18 years in prison for the 1988 murder of his parents in their Belle Terre home. He was released on appeal in 2007 due to a lack of evidence.
“I am gratified that Suffolk County has finally acknowledged the terrible wrong that was perpetrated against me,” he said.
Shortly after his release, Tankleff collected a $3 million settlement from the state and earned a law degree.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/man-falsely-convicted-parents-slay-wins-10m-settlement-article-1.3944564

DGUtley
04-20-2018, 03:11 AM
Not enough money but good for him.

Peter1469
04-20-2018, 04:59 AM
That is a hard 18 years.

nathanbforrest45
04-20-2018, 07:50 AM
Will he now sue the jurors who convicted him based on the evidence presented at his trial?

DGUtley
04-20-2018, 07:51 AM
Will he now sue the jurors who convicted him based on the evidence presented at his trial?

No, there's no cause of action for that. In Ohio, there's a statutory framework to compensate people wrongfully convicted. They couldn't lock me up for 18 years and give me 10 million dollars. No way.

nathanbforrest45
04-20-2018, 07:55 AM
No, there's no cause of action for that. In Ohio, there's a statutory framework to compensate people wrongfully convicted. They couldn't lock me up for 18 years and give me 10 million dollars. No way.

Unless evidence was fabricated I don't really understand why he is entitled to this money. It isn't the "state" paying him, its the tax payers. If he were wrongly convicted wouldn't his attorney have some culpability in his being wrongfully convicted? What evidence was presented at his trial that would have swayed a jury to convict him?

DGUtley
04-20-2018, 08:01 AM
Unless evidence was fabricated I don't really understand why he is entitled to this money. It isn't the "state" paying him, its the tax payers. If he were wrongly convicted wouldn't his attorney have some culpability in his being wrongfully convicted? What evidence was presented at his trial that would have swayed a jury to convict him?

If the State did a shoddy job, even getting a wrong conviction, they owe him. Here, they overlooked evidence. Usually, someone hides evidence. I saw one this week where a Judge in Cleveland tossed a conviction of a coach at a private east side school accused of raping a student b/c the police officer hid a diagram that the victim did that was totally different. When it comes to the accused's rights, due process is paramount.

Peter1469
04-20-2018, 08:34 AM
I don't understand why prosecutors withhold evidence. That is prosecution 101 stuff. Never do it.