PDA

View Full Version : It is said that laughter is the best medicine

Awryly
12-21-2012, 10:41 PM
Which is why Americans are so obese. Or something.

But anyway, what sort of humour do you like?

I don't expect much. But I'll accept "Blood-letting by the Vampire Drones on a Holiday in Kansas".

Kansas is renowned for its humour.

Awryly
12-21-2012, 11:50 PM
No surprises here then. Humour is not as popular in America as guns. If it were, they would all be shooting themselves in the head.

But I digress.

I'll start the ball rolling. For satire, the Yanks aren't half bad. Think The Onion. Their situation humour has been pretty successful - think Cheers, Frasier (with British actors of course) and Boston Legal (not unintentionally), American Dad (which can be a riot).

But the Poms reign supreme. Fawlty Towers (Farty Powers), Yes Minister, 2012, Outnumbered, Creature Comforts, A Bit of Fry and Lawrie, QI, The Thick of It and a raft of others keep me vastly entertained. So does Australia's "The Chasers' War on Everything" and NZ's "Spin Doctors". It's a matter of style and panache. Which never arrived via the glum Puritans to the US.

In the lottery of life, Americans have failed to "get it".

Carygrant
12-22-2012, 03:19 AM
You should see the latest crop of BBC 3 , BBC 4 and Channel 4 comedy programmes . Some are so cutting edge they inflict pain and wobble right on the cliff edge .
Can't see the bulk of Americans coping with them for a generation or two .
Also some brilliant Muslim stand up comics --- mostly from Iran --- and a clutch of young women who have somehow made up for their gender handicap .

Awryly
12-22-2012, 06:11 AM
You should see the latest crop of BBC 3 , BBC 4 and Channel 4 comedy programmes . Some are so cutting edge they inflict pain and wobble right on the cliff edge .
Can't see the bulk of Americans coping with them for a generation or two .
Also some brilliant Muslim stand up comics --- mostly from Iran --- and a clutch of young women who have somehow made up for their gender handicap .

Unfortunately I only get BBC World Service*. Which is not very funny at all.

Iranians have a long history of humour in the UK, starting with Alexei Sayle. God only knows why they are so hilarious when they have to live alongside all those Arabs. And. of course, the Israelis. Maybe it's a refugee thing.

* Error. I also get UKTV. Downton stuff mostly. Which is pretty dismal.

Awryly
12-22-2012, 09:56 AM
Off a UK politics site.

US tourist in Italy was quoted as saying "Oh, you have a moon here too"

Carygrant
12-22-2012, 10:07 AM
* Error. I also get UKTV. Downton stuff mostly. Which is pretty dismal.

Absolutely essential for the working class . They seem to behave like rabbits when faced by their betters .
And it makes a mint from simple Americans who are impressed with annything that looks like class or good taste .
A bit like showing beads to their forefathers .

Chris
12-22-2012, 10:09 AM
Trolls gathering together is comical. You two should get together for a reality show.

Mister D
12-22-2012, 10:13 AM
http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/07/worlds-fattest-countries-forbeslife-cx_ls_0208worldfat_2.html

It appears that New Zealand is a pretty fat country. :laugh: Thanks for the laugh, Kiwi.

Awryly
12-22-2012, 10:17 AM
http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/07/worlds-fattest-countries-forbeslife-cx_ls_0208worldfat_2.html

It appears that New Zealand is a pretty fat country. :laugh: Thanks for the laugh, Kiwi.

What's even funnier is that the US is 8th on that list and NZ is 17th.

Awryly
12-22-2012, 10:19 AM
Absolutely essential for the working class . They seem to behave like rabbits when faced by their betters .
And it makes a mint from simple Americans who are impressed with annything that looks like class or good taste .
A bit like showing beads to their forefathers .

Forgive them. They lack an aristocracy to laugh at.

Mister D
12-22-2012, 10:22 AM
What's even funnier is that the US is 8th on that list and NZ is 17th.

No doubt Americans, particularly poor Americans, have high rates of obesity. We all know that but an American didn't create a thread calling other nations fat. A chubby Kiwi did that. :grin: So pipe down, fat ass.

Adelaide
12-22-2012, 02:58 PM
Which is why Americans are so obese. Or something.

But anyway, what sort of humour do you like?

I don't expect much. But I'll accept "Blood-letting by the Vampire Drones on a Holiday in Kansas".

Kansas is renowned for its humour.

Why does everything have to be about attacking Americans? What are you hoping to accomplish other than pissing off majority of the members of the forum?

At any rate... I spent a lot of time in hospitals as a child. We used to collect giant snails off the walls of the radiation building and keep them in styrofoam cups in the hospital room. One night, they managed to escape and the evening nurse got the shock of her life. Still funny 18 years later, and it was incidents like that which really lifted the spirits of my family.

Peter1469
12-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Americans don't really pay much attention to the NZ types. They are not relevant.

Carygrant
12-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Trolls gathering together is comical. You two should get together for a reality show.

If you get much more bitter they could bottle you and sell you as a slug killer .

Awryly
12-22-2012, 06:25 PM
Why does everything have to be about attacking Americans? What are you hoping to accomplish other than pissing off majority of the members of the forum?

At any rate... I spent a lot of time in hospitals as a child. We used to collect giant snails off the walls of the radiation building and keep them in styrofoam cups in the hospital room. One night, they managed to escape and the evening nurse got the shock of her life. Still funny 18 years later, and it was incidents like that which really lifted the spirits of my family.

I am trying to improve American understanding of far-a-way places. That they don't like that is hardly my fault.

No, not the moon. I'll leave that to the Italians.

Nice snail story, btw.

Chris
12-22-2012, 06:47 PM
If you get much more bitter they could bottle you and sell you as a slug killer .

Where'd you get your degree in psychoanalyzing, a cracker jacks box. If you're just going to make stuff up, please be more inventive, lie like you mean it!

roadmaster
12-22-2012, 10:05 PM
What are you hoping to accomplish other than pissing off majority of the members Well he needs to step it up a good bit, haven't been pissed off yet.:laugh:

Awryly
12-22-2012, 10:24 PM
Well he needs to step it up a good bit, haven't been pissed off yet.:laugh:

So there you are, Adelaide. Your compatriots accept my little contributions with admirable equanimity and dearth of understanding.

roadmaster
12-22-2012, 10:27 PM
So there you are, Adelaide. Your compatriots accept my little contributions with admirable equanimity and dearth of understanding.

Now I may be the only one.

Awryly
12-22-2012, 10:36 PM
Americans don't really pay much attention to the NZ types. They are not relevant.

Try to be funnier.

The thread is about funniness.

Awryly
12-22-2012, 10:37 PM
Now I may be the only one.

Oh come now. I am sure there are others like you who qualify on both counts.

Awryly
01-03-2013, 10:56 PM
You're joking, right?

http://content.yieldmanager.edgesuite.net/atoms/e6/72/1d/a6/e6721da6bdc7a8a59a54cd50366638d2.gif

A New Zealand attorney at a New York law firm has become embroiled in a major US insider trading case which could see a former Australian mate jailed for 20 years.
The Kiwi lawyer, identified only as 'Attorney-1' in court papers, felt out of his depth when he was tasked with overseeing an estimated US$1.2 billion acquisition by computer giant IBM of a Chicago software company.

He confided in his friend, Australian financial analyst Trent Martin who was working at a Connecticut brokerage firm, seeking "moral support, reassurance, and advice".
But Martin went behind his mate's back to use the highly confidential information to buy shares in the firm, SPSS ahead of its sale to IBM, US prosecutors allege.
He's further accused of passing the hot tip on to other financial broker friends who allegedly made thousands from the illicitly gained knowledge.
Now, Martin and two other New York stockbrokers face being sent to US federal prison for more than 20 years or a maximum fine of NZ$6m.

Chris
01-03-2013, 11:09 PM
After 13 days, awryly tries to resuscitate his suffocated thread...

http://i.snag.gy/bGaLj.jpg

...ought to be good for a laugh and thus good medicine!

Carygrant
01-04-2013, 01:53 AM
Count the number of times you have ever noticed an American trying to be funny here .
That didn't take long .
Rule out food and weather difference comments and you come to a grinding halt . Sorry , and their appalling taste and standards of popular music .
What they do is make up for their inarticulate nature and indifferent education by drawing baby pictures . They just love to cartoon ( new verb) . Anything to move complexity to simplicity .

Chris
01-04-2013, 09:50 AM
Count the number of times you have ever noticed an American trying to be funny here .
That didn't take long .
Rule out food and weather difference comments and you come to a grinding halt . Sorry , and their appalling taste and standards of popular music .
What they do is make up for their inarticulate nature and indifferent education by drawing baby pictures . They just love to cartoon ( new verb) . Anything to move complexity to simplicity .

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Was that ever funny!

BTW, "to cartoon ( new verb)":

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cartoon:

verb (used with object)
to represent by a cartoon.

verb (used without object)
to draw cartoons.