PDA

View Full Version : The cost of Domestic Violence

Adelaide
12-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Altogether, total costs were conservatively estimated at $4.8 billion for female victims and $2.6 billion for male victims.

“Spousal violence is a widespread and unfortunate social reality that has an effect on all Canadians,” says the 145-page report, completed this fall and obtained by The Canadian Press under the Access to Information Act.

“Victims of spousal violence are susceptible to sustaining costly and long-lasting physical, emotional and financial consequences. … Every member of society eventually feels the impact of spousal violence through the additional financial strain imposed on publicly funded systems and services.”

The study is the third produced by Justice Canada since 2011 on the comprehensive cost of crime, all using similar methodology.

The first looked at the economic impact of all reported crimes in 2008 ($99.6 billion); the second, the costs of gun-related crime in 2008 ($3.1 billion). The latter was never published, given the politically charged subject matter, but was obtained earlier this year by The Canadian Press under the Access to Information Act.

Domestic Violence Costs Canada $7.4B a Year - Justice Canada (http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/12/23/justice-canada-study-says-spousal-abuse-costs-country-at-least-7-4-billion-a-year/)

Unbelievable. I mean, believable, but by and large not really considered a problem by most who are not affected.

roadmaster
12-23-2012, 11:50 PM
Domestic Violence Costs Canada $7.4B a Year - Justice Canada (http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/12/23/justice-canada-study-says-spousal-abuse-costs-country-at-least-7-4-billion-a-year/)

Unbelievable. I mean, believable, but by and large not really considered a problem by most who are not affected.
It's a problem all over. Just think about the ones not reported.

KC
12-24-2012, 09:14 AM

I know this is one thing Women's and Children's Horizons works on around here, but like Roadmaster is saying I don't think they are ever able to help all who are affected.

roadmaster
12-25-2012, 12:30 AM
I know this is one thing Women's and Children's Horizons works on around here, but like Roadmaster is saying I don't think they are ever able to help all who are affected.

Also, women are forgiving and believe it won't happen again no matter how many times his lying to them. Some feel trapped or even blame themselves for the other person behavior. Some are in denial and some don't want to leave the house in fear they will be killed.

Carygrant
12-25-2012, 02:45 AM
That is why Republican Extremism is so dangerous , or Pseudo Conservatism , as termed by those of more academic persuasion :-

This year is the 60th anniversary of the publication of The Authoritarian Personality. Once this was the most famous of Theodor Adorno's works. Today it's largely forgotten. With one exception: its indelible portrait of the "pseudo-conservative." Although Richard Hofstadter is often credited with the term—his essay "The Pseudo-Conservative Revolt" appeared in 1955—it was Adorno and his three co-authors who first identified the type: that vengeful and violent citizen who avows his faith in calm and restraint while agitating for policies that "would abolish the very institutions with which he appears to identify himself." The pseudo-conservative, in other words, is no conservative at all. Prone to "violence, anarchic impulses, and chaotic destructiveness," he loves war and longs for bedlam in the streets. He has "little in common," in Hofstadter's words, "with the temperate and compromising spirit of true conservatism."
Musing on those passages last June, Andrew Sullivan wrote on his blog, "It all sounds weirdly familiar, doesn't it?" He was talking about the predatory revanchism that has stalked the Republican Party since 9/11 and now consumes it. "The Bush-Cheney presidency," wrote Sullivan, was "the perfect pseudo-conservative administration." The White House and its neoconservative enablers celebrated war and torture, shredded the Constitution, and bankrupted the nation. "Throughout all this," Sullivan pointed out, "the Tea Partiers supported them." Merely the latest in a long line of pseudo-conservatives, the Tea Party backer is "the opposite of a natural conservative at peace with the world as it is."

It is the Authoritarian Personality that we see here on this chat site all the time that needs to be stripped from its political roots and looked at more as a social illness . It is at the root of the Tea Party and even endemic to those who find comfort and safety in their world of imagined " normal"right wing views , inevitably built around violence , control and manipulation by the few and for the few .
Not that this will stop the fat bastards stuffing themselves all day . --- " stuff the underdogs so we can stuff ourselves ".
It's Christmas ( source , Noddy Holder) . Time for me to use my machete on those still asleep .

Peter1469
12-25-2012, 04:24 AM
I doubt that any good science links Authoritarian Personality to political conservative beliefs. Perhaps to the religious right, but that is only a small part of modern American conservatism. It sounds more like a complaint against traditional gender roles.

roadmaster
12-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Actually Jesus said to treat them better than you do yourself. My dad would not back down to no man but no one disrespected my mom.

waltky
12-31-2016, 05:28 PM
Wife accused him of cheating on her...
http://www.politicalforum.com/images/smilies/icon_omg.gif
Chris Corley: 911 call records US politician 'beating wife'
Sat, 31 Dec 2016 - The children of US politician Chris Corley scream at him to stop beating his wife in an emergency call.

Republican representative Chris Corley has been charged with first degree domestic violence and pointing a firearm at a person. The call was made on Monday evening, and released by police to local media. Mr Corley, 36, recently voted for legislation toughening punishments for domestic violence. "Just stop Daddy. Just stop...Daddy, why are you doing this?'' can be heard in a recording released to the Aiken Standard newspaper.

In a second call, a woman identified by the Aiken County Sheriff's Office as Mr Corley's mother-in-law tells a dispatcher: "He beat his wife and he's threatening to kill himself.'' Mr Corley hit his wife "about the head and face with a closed fist" before pointing a handgun at her, the Aiken Standard reports, citing the arrest warrant. The violence was allegedly committed in front of an 8-year-old child. The couple have three children.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/320/cpsprodpb/E451/production/_93194485_a05500dd-b131-4d9e-96a1-f065f011ceb5.jpg

Mr Corley told police his wife thought he was cheating on her, and he pushed her away when she attempted to strike him, the newspaper reports. The 36-year-old attorney is known for his efforts to keep the Confederate flag flying outside the South Carolina state house.

The flag was removed in July 2015 after the massacre of nine people in a black church in Charleston by white supremacist Dylann Roof. During a debate on the issue last year Mr Corley suggested that the Confederate flag should be replaced with the white flag of surrender. Mr Corley was released on a $20,000 bond and could face up to 15 years in jail if convicted of both charges.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38480296

DGUtley
12-31-2016, 05:34 PM
No respect for someone that would hit a woman. None whatsoever.