PDA

View Full Version : I am Adam Lanza's Mother

Peter1469
12-25-2012, 07:44 AM
http://www.virtueonline.org/portal/modules/news/article.php?storyid=16985

I am not sure if this is real, but an interesting read.

roadmaster
12-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Sounds right for any of these. That's why I said it would be hard to get her child into an institution by herself. The majority of these end up in prison or dead. Go look at the prisons they are full of them. I was lucky even tho this is not on my side of the family, that I had worked with these types of problems. It's a nightmare for most parents and even I had a hard time when my only one reached 18.

roadmaster
12-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Also, one other thing you do not let your kids rule your house. I was never afraid of my kids and they didn't pull this at my house.

Mister D
12-25-2012, 05:54 PM
That goes well beyond your child ruling your house, so to speak, assuming any of this accurate. find it hard to believe these stories reflect the real atmosphere of the Lanza home. If I had ever pulled a knife on a family member I would not have been living at home for long.

roadmaster
12-25-2012, 06:52 PM
That goes well beyond your child ruling your house, so to speak, assuming any of this accurate. find it hard to believe these stories reflect the real atmosphere of the Lanza home. If I had ever pulled a knife on a family member I would not have been living at home for long.

Me too, but you would be surprised what some parents allow kids to do even very young ones.

Peter1469
12-25-2012, 09:05 PM
Also, one other thing you do not let your kids rule your house. I was never afraid of my kids and they didn't pull this at my house.

The kid described in this article sounds evil. I am not sure he would care about your house.

roadmaster
12-25-2012, 10:37 PM
The kid described in this article sounds evil. I am not sure he would care about your house.
They are not evil. He knew what he could get away with and I am sure he had frustrations that built up. Kids like this need role-playing, told how important they are and shown. His mom probably thinks he is evil too and you don't do this. Yes, he would have been fine at my house.

Peter1469
12-25-2012, 10:55 PM
I am skeptical; but you have more experience in this than me.

Calypso Jones
12-25-2012, 11:04 PM
He was cutting. And probably had been for a long time. it's in his eyes. Same eyes as that batman shooter. And Loughner. Maybe it's evil. Maybe its their meds. Affecting their thyroids? Adding to their already shaky sanity. Maybe we should ban psychiatrists and their prescription privileges.

Peter1469
12-25-2012, 11:09 PM
The prescription meds are a big part of the problem. The Army has been handling them out like candy and suicide / homicide rates are way up.

roadmaster
12-26-2012, 02:03 AM
The prescription meds are a big part of the problem. The Army has been handling them out like candy and suicide / homicide rates are way up.

I agree, I never tell how many children I gave birth to but have quite a bit that call me mom. That's one thing I would not take in, a person addicted to anything. I refuse to talk to drugs. The last one I had was over 3 years ago, an intelligent young man close to 21. He stayed for over a year and was delightful to have around. I have since retired from this, just too old and other factors come to play. But hey they are all doing great and I still get calls from them.:smiley:

Adelaide
12-31-2012, 08:41 PM
He was cutting. And probably had been for a long time. it's in his eyes. Same eyes as that batman shooter. And Loughner. Maybe it's evil. Maybe its their meds. Affecting their thyroids? Adding to their already shaky sanity. Maybe we should ban psychiatrists and their prescription privileges.

Do you mean self-injury/self-mutilation?

roadmaster
12-31-2012, 09:20 PM
Do you mean self-injury/self-mutilation?

I knew a young girl that did this when one of my children was in High School. She cut herself but made sure others couldn't see it. My child and her were friends and my child talked to her about it. I wasn't aware of this until she left for college and mine went to another. That one I would have never suspected.

Adelaide
12-31-2012, 09:28 PM
I knew a young girl that did this when one of my children was in High School. She cut herself but made sure others couldn't see it. My child and her were friends and my child talked to her about it. I wasn't aware of this until she left for college and mine went to another. That one I would have never suspected.

More people do it than you'd think. I did, for years. My parents knew because of all the stitches and staples. I started speaking in high schools about it when I was about 17, among other things. After I was featured in the newspaper I started getting Facebook messages from people who wanted to tell me about their experience. It was unreal - going from feeling completely alone in something to having all of these people come out and say they did it, too, and asking for help. Teachers and students often take me aside to tell me about their experiences with it whether as the self-harmer, the parent, the friend, the mentor... it's amazing and truly unfortunate how common it is.

It's a negative coping strategy; it's what people resort to when they don't know or can't resort to positive coping mechanisms for whatever reason. Like drinking, or abusing drugs, or getting into fights. It took a long time to realise I wasn't defective but had just done what I felt I needed to do to survive.

Maybe an overshare, but it bothers me when people make assumptions about it or believe the stereoypes/contribute to the stigma.

roadmaster
12-31-2012, 09:38 PM
It took a long time to realise I wasn't defective but had just done what I felt I needed to do to survive.
I was glad mine talked to her and what you did to talk to others is great. You are correct you were not defective.