PDA

View Full Version : The Laffer Curve doesn't depend upon what you think is a fair tax rate

Chris
12-26-2012, 10:41 AM
It's wired into who we are as human beings.

And there's a lot of very interesting economics been done on what people do think is fair: take the ultimatum game for example. Two people, $100. One of them gets to decide how the two will split it. The other one can accept the split or reject it: on rejection neither of them get anything.

The logical policy is to accept any split at all from 1:99 on up. Hey, at least you'll get a whole dollar! But as it turns out people just don't react that way. As soon as the split starts getting worse than $40:$60 the rejection rate goes way up. The conclusion is that we're so tied up, we weird humans, about fairness that we will even punish ourselves in order to punish someone else we think is acting unfairly. There have also been experiments with both monkeys and apes (although with lovely pieces of fruit rather than useless pieces of paper) that lead to the same conclusion. All of us higher primates seem to be wired pretty much the same way: you try and rip me off and I'll take you down with me fella.

I've not seen this point explicitly made anywhere: although I assume that's to do with my lack of reading more than anything else. But if that sense of fairness is hard wired, then obviously it's also going to apply to those we're trying to tax. Which will mean that that peak of the Laffer Curve, that rate at which people bunk off, leave the country, reduce their work loads, lie or cheat the taxman, isn't determined by what we think is a fair rate to tax them. It's a result of what they think is a fair rate to tax them. Which, of course, could be a very different rate indeed from what we think is a fair rate.

@ The Laffer Curve doesn't depend upon what you think is a fair tax rate (http://www.adamsmith.org/blog/tax-spending/the-laffer-curve-doesnt-depend-upon-what-you-think-is-a-fair-tax-rate)