PDA

View Full Version : Appeals court: Infants, preschoolers must get flu shot

roadmaster
06-28-2018, 10:08 PM
NEW YORK (AP) — New York City’s requirement that infants and preschoolers in city-regulated child care or school-based programs must get yearly flu shots was upheld Thursday by the state’s highest court.
The Court of Appeals said that the city’s Department of Health had the authority to require the shots, a rule the city first enacted in 2013 during Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s administration.
A group of mothers filed a lawsuit in 2015, saying officials had overstepped their authority in requiring the annual vaccinations for children between the ages of 6 months and 5 years.

In its unanimous ruling, the court said the “promulgation of the flu vaccine falls squarely within the powers specifically delegated to the department.”
Health Commissioner Dr. Mary Bassett says the ruling is a “great win for New York City children.”
“Children who receive the influenza vaccine are less likely to get sick, less likely to need medical attention and less likely to die from influenza,” she said. “This decision will help us protect more than 150,000 children in City-regulated day cares and preschools across the city.”
The city said the mandate would go into effect immediately, and the more than 150,000 children in programs that are regulated by the city would be required to get the flu vaccine by December 31.
A lawyer representing the plaintiffs did not immediately comment.

https://apnews.com/fa577c124d3d4ab884f17225fafd9924?utm_campaign=Soci alFlow&utm_medium=AP&utm_source=Twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Dr. Who
06-28-2018, 11:37 PM
NEW YORK (AP) — New York City’s requirement that infants and preschoolers in city-regulated child care or school-based programs must get yearly flu shots was upheld Thursday by the state’s highest court.
The Court of Appeals said that the city’s Department of Health had the authority to require the shots, a rule the city first enacted in 2013 during Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s administration.
A group of mothers filed a lawsuit in 2015, saying officials had overstepped their authority in requiring the annual vaccinations for children between the ages of 6 months and 5 years.

In its unanimous ruling, the court said the “promulgation of the flu vaccine falls squarely within the powers specifically delegated to the department.”
Health Commissioner Dr. Mary Bassett says the ruling is a “great win for New York City children.”
“Children who receive the influenza vaccine are less likely to get sick, less likely to need medical attention and less likely to die from influenza,” she said. “This decision will help us protect more than 150,000 children in City-regulated day cares and preschools across the city.”
The city said the mandate would go into effect immediately, and the more than 150,000 children in programs that are regulated by the city would be required to get the flu vaccine by December 31.

https://apnews.com/fa577c124d3d4ab884f17225fafd9924?utm_campaign=Soci alFlow&utm_medium=AP&utm_source=Twitter&__twitter_impression=true

While I am not against flu shots, I don't think that the state should have the right to make that decision. It gives the state rights over people's bodies. That should never happen unless a child is dreadfully ill and the parents are unwilling to allow treatment and then the state basically takes guardianship over the minor. Until that point, guardianship rests with the parents.

Common
06-29-2018, 03:16 AM
While I am not against flu shots, I don't think that the state should have the right to make that decision. It gives the state rights over people's bodies. That should never happen unless a child is dreadfully ill and the parents are unwilling to allow treatment and then the state basically takes guardianship over the minor. Until that point, guardianship rests with the parents.

I heard the explanation is that if by refusing you place many others at risk the govt should step in.
The reasoning at that age the flu can kill and does kill, by not having your child innoculated they put everyone else in the school at risk. Tough call I guess

Captdon
06-29-2018, 12:17 PM

I agree the state shouldn't require it. I also believe that no unvaccinated child should be allowed in school unless allergic to a vaccine. The risk to someone who can't take a vaccine has to take precedence over belief.

Peter1469
06-29-2018, 12:21 PM
We are close to an inexpensive DNA test to find out who should not get what vaccine. Hopefully that will end this debate. But the conventional idea that all vaccines must be given to everyone is stupid.

The Xl
06-29-2018, 12:21 PM
NYC, land of the free, lel.

Abby08
06-29-2018, 12:52 PM
I heard the explanation is that if by refusing you place many others at risk the govt should step in.
The reasoning at that age the flu can kill and does kill, by not having your child innoculated they put everyone else in the school at risk. Tough call I guess

I think unvaccinated children should not be allowed to attend school, that also goes for preschool and, daycare, I wouldn't want my kids in close proximity with other kids who were potentially infectious..... even though mine were vaccinated.

The flu can be deadly for infants and toddlers/young children, it's my opinion, parents should want to vaccinate against a potential dangerous illness.

MisterVeritis
06-29-2018, 01:25 PM
I think unvaccinated children should not be allowed to attend school, that also goes for preschool and, daycare, I wouldn't want my kids in close proximity with other kids who were potentially infectious..... even though mine were vaccinated.

The flu can be deadly for infants and toddlers/young children, it's my opinion, parents should want to vaccinate against a potential dangerous illness.
Let's get the government out of the education business. Then those who do not want to vaccinate their children can attend schools where the lack of vaccinations is a feature.

Peter1469
06-29-2018, 01:30 PM

If vaccines work, why do you care if another kid is not vaccinated?

Dr. Who
06-29-2018, 05:46 PM
I worry that vaccinating for every little thing will result in a weakening of our immune systems and leave us susceptible to succumbing to a new virulent strain of some traditionally common childhood illness like measles and result in widespread death in children.

Captdon
06-29-2018, 05:51 PM
We are close to an inexpensive DNA test to find out who should not get what vaccine. Hopefully that will end this debate. But the conventional idea that all vaccines must be given to everyone is stupid.

Until some kid not vaccinated gives an adult man the mumps because he's allergic to it.

Captdon
06-29-2018, 05:56 PM
I worry that vaccinating for every little thing will result in a weakening of our immune systems and leave us susceptible to succumbing to a new virulent strain of some traditionally common childhood illness like measles and result in widespread death in children.

Measles has a vaccine. Vaccines don't weaken the immune system. It enhances it.

As a baby, my uncle developed TB. In those days you cured it by isolation and hoping for the best. My brothers and sisters were tested and they found I had some tb. It never developed in me but it left the natural antibodies behind. I am immune to Tb to the point I can't take a test for it or i get sick form my own immune system.

Vaccines work the same way.

Dr. Who
06-29-2018, 08:29 PM
Measles has a vaccine. Vaccines don't weaken the immune system. It enhances it.

As a baby, my uncle developed TB. In those days you cured it by isolation and hoping for the best. My brothers and sisters were tested and they found I had some tb. It never developed in me but it left the natural antibodies behind. I am immune to Tb to the point I can't take a test for it or i get sick form my own immune system.

Vaccines work the same way.
You don't understand the point that I am making. Your immune system gets stronger when it has to fight disease. Vaccines allow the lymphocytes in your body to respond by producing specific antibodies tailored to the germ for which you have been inoculated without the need to actually get sick. However, your overall immune system has not been tested in battle, if you get my meaning. A strong immune system, like an army, needs practice and field testing in order to respond effectively to an all-out attack.

If our immune systems are rarely, if ever tested in battle conditions, they are like an army that learned from a book. There is a reason that people are now reconsidering the notion of hermetically sealing their children from germs and now allow them to eat dirt, get sick and get exposed to plenty of germs. Many of the things that children are now being vaccinated against are rarely life-threatening. However, the chemicals used in the vaccines kill or adversely affect a statistical number of children.

Mothers of my mother's generation used to push their 4 and 5-year-olds into the company of kids with chicken pox, mumps and measles because children develop a lesser form of these diseases, so it's best to get them out of the way early. Meanwhile, the child's immune system enjoyed actual battle conditions and grew stronger as a result. A strong immune system can take on far more assaults than a weak one.

Peter1469
06-29-2018, 08:36 PM
Until some kid not vaccinated gives an adult man the mumps because he's allergic to it.

In your make up example is the adult male vaccinated or not? I assume yes. So why do we care if the kid isn't?

Captdon
06-30-2018, 01:59 PM
If vaccines work, why do you care if another kid is not vaccinated?

Again, some people are allergic to the vaccines. Most of them are egg-based and some people can't eat eggs? No one has the right to make someone sick or worse.

Captdon
06-30-2018, 02:03 PM
You don't understand the point that I am making. Your immune system gets stronger when it has to fight disease. Vaccines allow the lymphocytes in your body to respond by producing specific antibodies tailored to the germ for which you have been inoculated without the need to actually get sick. However, your overall immune system has not been tested in battle, if you get my meaning. A strong immune system, like an army, needs practice and field testing in order to respond effectively to an all-out attack.

If our immune systems are rarely, if ever tested in battle conditions, they are like an army that learned from a book. There is a reason that people are now reconsidering the notion of hermetically sealing their children from germs and now allow them to eat dirt, get sick and get exposed to plenty of germs. Many of the things that children are now being vaccinated against are rarely life-threatening. However, the chemicals used in the vaccines kill or adversely affect a statistical number of children.

Mothers of my mother's generation used to push their 4 and 5-year-olds into the company of kids with chicken pox, mumps and measles because children develop a lesser form of these diseases, so it's best to get them out of the way early. Meanwhile, the child's immune system enjoyed actual battle conditions and grew stronger as a result. A strong immune system can take on far more assaults than a weak one.

If you are vaccinated against measles it only effects that disease. It has nothing to do with any other disease. I can't get tb but I can get the flu. You can't be over-vaccinated.

The danger today is kids not playing outside and picking up germs they can fight off. That's the trick to the immune system. IOH, our kids don't eat enough dirt! I agree.

My childhood was a bitch. I get to a new base in Germany and I come down with the mumps, measles and chicken pox all at the same time. The Army snatched me up and isolated me in a dark room. No one would come near me without looking a space cadet. When I left the nurses said, "Welcome to Ft. Thomas!" I made that last part up.

At Ft. Meade they liked my immune system they used to send me to Walter Reed for one thing or another to try to fix my hearing. I still think to this day I was a guinea pig.(Not that the Army would do that) maybe they fed me dirt.

After my father retired my health became perfect for 50 years. Well, that's of topic i guess.

Captdon
06-30-2018, 02:11 PM
In your make up example is the adult male vaccinated or not? I assume yes. So why do we care if the kid isn't?

No, he isn't. He's allergic to the vaccine.There'd be no point otherwise.

Dr. Who
06-30-2018, 02:16 PM
If you are vaccinated against measles it only effects that disease. It has nothing to do with any other disease. i can't get tb but I can get the flu. You can't be over-vaccinated.

The danger today is kids not playing outside and picking up germs they can fight off. That's the trick to the immune system. IOH, our kids don't eat enough dirt!
I didn't say that the vaccine prevents being infected by other diseases, but it does prevent children from fighting the most common annoying but usually non-fatal diseases of childhood. I just think that people's immune systems are getting progressively weaker and more dependent on outside intervention. I would rather see these vaccinations delayed to just before the onset of puberty, when catching these diseases can make a person more seriously ill. And yes, we should allow our children to play outside in the dirt, climb trees and run as much as possible.

Peter1469
06-30-2018, 02:46 PM
Again, some people are allergic to the vaccines. Most of them are egg-based and some people can't eat eggs? No one has the right to make someone sick or worse.

Understood.

donttread
07-08-2018, 07:35 AM

What's next vitamin C requirements to prevent colds?