PDA

View Full Version : Xenophobia Upside: Ethnic And Religious Diversity Correlated To Less Environmental Ac

Mister D
01-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Granted, the question should really be when it is ever a good thing but I digress...

---

When is diversity a bad thing? When it comes to environmental action, according to a new paper from the University of East Anglia (UEA).

Scandinavian countries, low in ethnic and religious diversity, take more collective action than more diverse nations, like the UK, China and the United States. But the UEA paper frames diversity using the more negative term 'fragmentation'.

http://www.science20.com/news_articles/xenophobia_upside_ethnic_and_religious_diversity_c orrelated_less_environmental_action-99571

Guerilla
01-03-2013, 02:16 AM
These countries that are low in diversity are also countries with very small populations compared to these diverse nations. Obviously higher population equates to more people with different ideas and therefore more disagreements. If places like scandanavia had a higher population to land ratio as these more diverse nations do(such as China and UK as you mentioned) I'm sure they'd have the same problems.

Mister D
01-03-2013, 09:44 AM
These countries that are low in diversity are also countries with very small populations compared to these diverse nations. Obviously higher population equates to more people with different ideas and therefore more disagreements. If places like scandanavia had a higher population to land ratio as these more diverse nations do(such as China and UK as you mentioned) I'm sure they'd have the same problems.

Right...

Chris
01-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Seems liberal's demand for unnatural diversity is counterproductive to their environmental agenda.

Chris
01-03-2013, 10:37 AM

Thing is Scandanavia does have these problems largely because of immigration policies: See The Sweden Canard (http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/7483-The-Sweden-Canard?highlight=canard).

Mister D
01-03-2013, 10:45 AM
Seems liberal's demand for unnatural diversity is counterproductive to their environmental agenda.

I do enjoy their moments of ideological confusion.