PDA

View Full Version : Firefighter killed fighting blaze near Yosemite

roadmaster
07-14-2018, 04:09 PM
YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, Calif. (AP) — The Latest on a wildfire burning near Yosemite National Park (all times local):
1:10 p.m.
The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection says a firefighter has been killed while battling a wildfire near Yosemite National Park.
Officials say Heavy Fire Equipment Operator Braden Varney was killed Saturday morning while battling the Ferguson Fire.
No other details about his death were released.
The fire broke out around 10:30 p.m. Friday night in Mariposa County, near the west end of Yosemite National Park and the Sierra National Forest.
Fire officials say Varney is survived by his wife and two small children.
They said the fire had burned about 130 acres (52.61 hectares) by Saturday afternoon.

https://apnews.com/c1228c9bb8fb4f188c60ceaa801cfa77/The-Latest:-Firefighter-killed-fighting-blaze-near-Yosemite?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

gamewell45
07-14-2018, 08:49 PM
YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, Calif. (AP) — The Latest on a wildfire burning near Yosemite National Park (all times local):
1:10 p.m.
The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection says a firefighter has been killed while battling a wildfire near Yosemite National Park.
Officials say Heavy Fire Equipment Operator Braden Varney was killed Saturday morning while battling the Ferguson Fire.
No other details about his death were released.
The fire broke out around 10:30 p.m. Friday night in Mariposa County, near the west end of Yosemite National Park and the Sierra National Forest.
Fire officials say Varney is survived by his wife and two small children.
They said the fire had burned about 130 acres (52.61 hectares) by Saturday afternoon.

https://apnews.com/c1228c9bb8fb4f188c60ceaa801cfa77/The-Latest:-Firefighter-killed-fighting-blaze-near-Yosemite?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

May the Brother rest in peace.

Peter1469
07-14-2018, 08:55 PM
rip

I almost got a fire jumper job when I left active duty the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcv1K7QsrvI

Tahuyaman
07-14-2018, 09:18 PM
rip

I almost got a fire jumper job when I left active duty the first time.

I also thought about it, but after twenty years as an infantryman, your knees aren't capable of that shit any more.

Peter1469
07-14-2018, 09:24 PM
I also thought about it, but after twenty years as an infantryman, your knees aren't capable of that shit any more.

I feel that these days.

Tahuyaman
07-14-2018, 09:28 PM
My unit fought forest fires in Idaho and Yellowstone. I enjoyed it.

Lummy
07-15-2018, 04:53 AM
It's very hard, dangerous work but also pays well. Of course, it's only seasonal. I didn't have the endurance for it, frankly.

I knew a couple of smokejumpers. They didn't seem particularly endeared to that work, and they had other interests that drew them away after a few years.

Always sad to hear about a firefighter getting killed. Nice family too.