PDA

View Full Version : Court blocks measure asking voters to split California in 3

roadmaster
07-18-2018, 03:49 PM
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The California Supreme Court has blocked a measure that would divide the state in three from appearing on the November ballot.
The justices on Wednesday ordered the secretary of state not to put the initiative before voters, saying significant questions have been raised about its validity.
The court will now consider the merits of a challenge brought by the Planning and Conservation League. The environmental group argues that dividing the nation’s most populous state in three would drastically change California’s government structure beyond what can be accomplished through a ballot initiative.
Venture capitalist Tim Draper is funding the measure and has said it would be inappropriate for the court to block it from the ballot.

https://apnews.com/36f8f986cecf450cbb9b1f807e36c590?utm_medium=AP&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow&__twitter_impression=true

Captdon
07-18-2018, 07:31 PM
California can't split itself into three states. They have to obey some laws.

MisterVeritis
07-18-2018, 07:49 PM
California can't split itself into three states. They have to obey some laws.
Not to be argumentative...

LOL.

Why shouldn't a state be able to separate into Normals and abnormals? Isn't the right of self-government the highest right?

DLLS
07-18-2018, 08:27 PM
I would be willing to allow California to leave in exchange for Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands becoming a state that way we would not have to redesign the flag. I would even be open to Guam in exchange for California.

Though I must insist that we keep our military installations along the Pacific coast.

DLLS
07-18-2018, 08:28 PM
Not to be argumentative...

LOL.

Why shouldn't a state be able to separate into Normals and abnormals? Isn't the right of self-government the highest right?

Just how large a part of California do you think the Normals would be entitled to?

MisterVeritis
07-18-2018, 08:29 PM
Just how large a part of California do you think the Normals would be entitled to?
The appropriate amount, of course.