User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?...

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,627x in 25,166 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    When I hear "old TV" I think of really old TV - like from the '60s and '70s or even earlier. 'The Andy Griffith Show', 'The Beverly Hillbillies', 'Gilligan's Island', etc. Yeah, sometimes watching those shows can sort of "reset" you in a way. Hard to explain, but I think at least some of you know what I mean.

As for what younger people might consider "old TV", I don't think of 'The Office' (one of my all-time favorite shows...I just re-watched the whole series last year) or 'Friends' (I think I watched one or two episodes back in the day) or 'Seinfeld' (I've seen a lot of episodes, but I'm not a huge fan) as particularly therapeutic. Maybe it has to do with whether or not a person feels isolated and lonely; I don't, so having those "t.v. families" in my living room isn't really a big deal.
    Andy's on til 8.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

BenjaminO (05-03-2021)

Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 2,200
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,264x in 12,387 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Andy's on til 8.
    I remember many years ago, living alone and feeling pretty stressed, I used to get up a little early every weekday morning to watch an episode of 'The Beverly Hillbillies' before going to work. It made me laugh and put me in a good mood every time.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

BenjaminO (05-03-2021),carolina73 (05-03-2021),DGUtley (05-03-2021)

Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 409
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    BenjaminO's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,735x in 1,363 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I hear "old TV" I think of really old TV - like from the '60s and '70s or even earlier. 'The Andy Griffith Show', 'The Beverly Hillbillies', 'Gilligan's Island', etc. Yeah, sometimes watching those shows can sort of "reset" you in a way. Hard to explain, but I think at least some of you know what I mean.

As for what younger people might consider "old TV", I don't think of 'The Office' (one of my all-time favorite shows...I just re-watched the whole series last year) or 'Friends' (I think I watched one or two episodes back in the day) or 'Seinfeld' (I've seen a lot of episodes, but I'm not a huge fan) as particularly therapeutic. Maybe it has to do with whether or not a person feels isolated and lonely; I don't, so having those "t.v. families" in my living room isn't really a big deal.
    I was a western fan.
    The Rifleman, Bonanza, Roy Rogers, The Lone Ranger, Gene Autry, and a really old one, Have Gun Will Travel.
    That's a short list.
    Then there's Leave it to Beaver, Ed Sullivan, Red Skelton, Ozzie and Harriet, The Monkeys, and...
    Buddy Hackett on The Carson show always cracked me up.

The internet has given us the ability to watch all those old programs upon demand.
    The days of antenna only TV and 3 channels are long gone.
    Red Green
    The man's prayer:

I'm a man
    But I can change
    If I have to
    I guess

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BenjaminO For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (05-03-2021)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Andy's on til 8.
    TV?
    What channel?
    Red Green
    The man's prayer:

I'm a man
    But I can change
    If I have to
    I guess

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,627x in 25,166 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenjaminO View Post
    TV? What channel?
    I think it is TV Land. It's 148 on Armstrong. I get home and while I'm changing I click 148 as I'm changing (I don't watch the news anymore). It's always Andy Griffith. I think it's 6 - 8. At 8, it's Everybody Loves Raymond. Nice, funny, mindless, easy going. Yes, I've seen them all dozens of times each but Ms. Crump and Debra are both kind of hot....
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

BenjaminO (05-03-2021)

Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 2,200
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,264x in 12,387 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenjaminO View Post
    I was a western fan.
    The Rifleman, Bonanza, Roy Rogers, The Lone Ranger, Gene Autry, and a really old one, Have Gun Will Travel.
    That's a short list.
    Then there's Leave it to Beaver, Ed Sullivan, Red Skelton, Ozzie and Harriet, The Monkeys, and...
    Buddy Hackett on The Carson show always cracked me up.

The internet has given us the ability to watch all those old programs upon demand.
    The days of antenna only TV and 3 channels are long gone.
    I remember back when I was in grade school, every day at the same time in the afternoon the local independent station would show an episode of - and it rotated throughout the week - The Lone Ranger, Superman, Robin Hood (with Richard Greene), William Tell (hardly anyone remembers that one these days, but I can still remember the words to the theme song) or Sgt. Preston of the Yukon. (At the end of every episode, he would say to his husky, "Well, King, this case is closed".)

As for Westerns, I never ever really favored the "singing cowboys" like Autry or Rogers, but I liked 'Have Gun, Will Travel', 'The Rifleman'...and 'The Rebel' with Nick Adams, who died much too early.

'T.H.E. Cat' with Robert Loggia. That series is not available on DVD, although I certainly hope it will be someday. I bought a bootleg set of DVDs a few years ago, but they didn't work very well or last very long. There was another show called 'World of Giants' - about an American spy who is exposed to some kind of gas while watching a Soviet space launch and shrinks down to being 6" tall. His partner carries him around in a briefcase. And of course 'Sea Hunt'. One of the nostalgia channels ran almost the entire series a few years ago, and it was great seeing that again.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

BenjaminO (05-03-2021)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember back when I was in grade school, every day at the same time in the afternoon the local independent station would show an episode of - and it rotated throughout the week - The Lone Ranger, Superman, Robin Hood (with Richard Greene), William Tell (hardly anyone remembers that one these days, but I can still remember the words to the theme song) or Sgt. Preston of the Yukon. (At the end of every episode, he would say to his husky, "Well, King, this case is closed".)

As for Westerns, I never ever really favored the "singing cowboys" like Autry or Rogers, but I liked 'Have Gun, Will Travel', 'The Rifleman'...and 'The Rebel' with Nick Adams, who died much too early.

'T.H.E. Cat' with Robert Loggia. That series is not available on DVD, although I certainly hope it will be someday. I bought a bootleg set of DVDs a few years ago, but they didn't work very well or last very long. There was another show called 'World of Giants' - about an American spy who is exposed to some kind of gas while watching a Soviet space launch and shrinks down to being 6" tall. His partner carries him around in a briefcase. And of course 'Sea Hunt'. One of the nostalgia channels ran almost the entire series a few years ago, and it was great seeing that again.
    Great memories.
    Red Green
    The man's prayer:

I'm a man
    But I can change
    If I have to
    I guess

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 1,580
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,137x in 28,529 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw "Live & Let Die" on the classic movie channel yesterday.

My first reaction was that movie is not that old.

I guess that means that I am a classic now too.

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mamooth's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,080x in 797 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you watch the old shows on DVD, you see that a one-hour show in the 1960s had about 52 minutes of content. The other 8 minutes was for commercials.

That number has been sliding down over the years. A one-hour TV show today wil have about 44 minutes of content. Commercial levels have doubled. The old shows sometimes have pieces cut out to fit in more commercials.
    If a conservative makes an accusation, it's actually a confession.

+ Reply to Thread