Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,391x in 94,877 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Food prices are soaring, and that's changed how we eat

The big change for me was from beef to chicken. Considering that between lunch and dinner I am eating a pound a day, it is still expensive, just a lot less than beef.

Lisa Altman used to take pride in being able to eat what she wanted without worrying much about the cost.

When she was growing up, seconds weren't served and side dishes were rare. "My mom had a budget every week, and she stuck to it," she said. "As I got older and became more financially independent, having a full pantry and being able to eat what I wanted was a sign of success for me," she added.

"It was very humbling to have to go from that situation to where we're at right now."

Altman and her wife live in Austin, Texas with their three children. Recently, they've been relying mostly on one income. Their reduced earnings, coupled with inflation, have dealt a blow to their finances.

And that has changed, radically, the way they eat. Altman is not alone in making big changes.

We asked CNN readers how inflation has impacted their eating habits, and many mentioned dining out less often, buying less meat and giving up splurges. Some said they are very worried about the future.

Food prices have spiked 11.4% over the past year, the largest annual increase since May 1979, according to data released in mid-September by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Grocery prices jumped 13.5% and restaurant menu prices increased 8% in that period.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (09-26-2022)

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 760
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,770x in 13,680 Posts
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    The big change for me was from beef to chicken. Considering that between lunch and dinner I am eating a pound a day, it is still expensive, just a lot less than beef.

Lisa Altman used to take pride in being able to eat what she wanted without worrying much about the cost.

When she was growing up, seconds weren't served and side dishes were rare. "My mom had a budget every week, and she stuck to it," she said. "As I got older and became more financially independent, having a full pantry and being able to eat what I wanted was a sign of success for me," she added.

"It was very humbling to have to go from that situation to where we're at right now."

Altman and her wife live in Austin, Texas with their three children. Recently, they've been relying mostly on one income. Their reduced earnings, coupled with inflation, have dealt a blow to their finances.

And that has changed, radically, the way they eat. Altman is not alone in making big changes.

We asked CNN readers how inflation has impacted their eating habits, and many mentioned dining out less often, buying less meat and giving up splurges. Some said they are very worried about the future.

Food prices have spiked 11.4% over the past year, the largest annual increase since May 1979, according to data released in mid-September by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Grocery prices jumped 13.5% and restaurant menu prices increased 8% in that period.
    We haven't changed our meat eating habits much, other than opting for less expensive beef cuts. We also eat a fair amount of chicken, but certainly not a pound a day.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

4. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    We haven't changed our meat eating habits much, other than opting for less expensive beef cuts. We also eat a fair amount of chicken, but certainly not a pound a day.
    I do it for the protein. I am aiming for 165 grams a day of it.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

bdtex (09-26-2022)

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 760
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,770x in 13,680 Posts
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do it for the protein. I am aiming for 165 grams a day of it.
    That's what I figured. It certainly is a convenient source of protein. Do you mix it up quite a bit, or do you just do standard poached or boiled chicken meal prep?
    Cutesy Time is OVER

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 277
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,869x in 4,194 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We bought half a cow, and split that with the SIL when it was butchered. $500 for about 200 pounds of various cuts of beef is a decent price. And yes, we knew the farmer who raised the beef.

We eat beef 3-4 times a week, and usually chicken, pork or fish/shrimp the other days. Lots of fresh veggies, though that season is starting to draw to a close.

It's all the other stuff, paper goods, dairy, bread, coffee (yes, that is a food group) that has escalated beyond comprehension. Except eggs, those come from a neighbor weekly.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (09-26-2022),Peter1469 (09-26-2022)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    That's what I figured. It certainly is a convenient source of protein. Do you mix it up quite a bit, or do you just do standard poached or boiled chicken meal prep?
    For lunch sandwiches I use a Hamilton Beach version of the George Foreman grill and make 6 4 oz breasts that I use for lunch sandwiches during the week. 4 nights a week for dinner I will have about 12 oz chicken breast baked at 375 for 30 minutes with garlic and spice of choice. With that I will either have rice, quinoa, mashed potatoes, or pasta. And a smallish side salad.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

bdtex (09-26-2022),countryboy (09-26-2022),Just AnotherPerson (09-26-2022)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    We bought half a cow, and split that with the SIL when it was butchered. $500 for about 200 pounds of various cuts of beef is a decent price. And yes, we knew the farmer who raised the beef.

We eat beef 3-4 times a week, and usually chicken, pork or fish/shrimp the other days. Lots of fresh veggies, though that season is starting to draw to a close.

It's all the other stuff, paper goods, dairy, bread, coffee (yes, that is a food group) that has escalated beyond comprehension. Except eggs, those come from a neighbor weekly.
    If I had a house and the space for a second freezer I would do that.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (09-26-2022),Just AnotherPerson (09-26-2022)

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't changed my habits much. The only thing I notice is that I buy a little less at a time. I live about an hour drive from town so normally I stock up and buy a little more than I can eat when it comes to vegetables, and I always end up throwing some out. But I guess I'm wasting less. My diet is pretty simple, my staple is beans, I have enough of that on hand. The only thing I really buy from the store are fruit, vegetables, meat (for loved one), eggs, and I've taken a liking to tossing some shrimp in fried vegetables, so I have a tiny amount of that from time to time.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (09-26-2022)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    I haven't changed my habits much. The only thing I notice is that I buy a little less at a time. I live about an hour drive from town so normally I stock up and buy a little more than I can eat when it comes to vegetables, and I always end up throwing some out. But I guess I'm wasting less. My diet is pretty simple, my staple is beans, I have enough of that on hand. The only thing I really buy from the store are fruit, vegetables, meat (for loved one), eggs, and I've taken a liking to tossing some shrimp in fried vegetables, so I have a tiny amount of that from time to time.
    To save costs I thought of home.

I swapped out two nights of the week for the New Orleans classic red beans and rice. Although I don't use the sausage. Two reasons: hard to find real sausage here, and the calories are off the hook. But if I could get the Andouille from back home, I would make it work. I load it up with bell peppers, opinion and celery. The holy trinity in southern cooking.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,492
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Hoosier8's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,195x in 6,428 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To save costs I thought of home.

I swapped out two nights of the week for the New Orleans classic red beans and rice. Although I don't use the sausage. Two reasons: hard to find real sausage here, and the calories are off the hook. But if I could get the Andouille from back home, I would make it work. I load it up with bell peppers, opinion and celery. The holy trinity in southern cooking.
    Never eat opinion! LOL, I make a number of bean dishes but my favorites are red beans and rice and charro beans.
    When Donald Trump said to protest “peacefully”, he meant violence.

When he told protesters to “go home”, he meant stay for an insurrection.

And when he told Brad Raffensperger to implement “whatever the correct legal remedy is”, he meant fraud.

War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoosier8 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (09-26-2022),Peter1469 (09-26-2022)

+ Reply to Thread