Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,093x in 12,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Indominable

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (08-02-2022),Dr. Who (08-02-2022),RMNIXON (08-02-2022)

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,513
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,003x in 18,683 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should not have clicked on this......I didn't watch the video, the picture was enough.
    "LET'S GO BRANDON!"

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 793
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby08 View Post
    I should not have clicked on this......I didn't watch the video, the picture was enough.
    It's hard to watch in the beginning, but the payoff at the end is more than worth it.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    It's hard to watch in the beginning, but the payoff at the end is more than worth it.

I do like the happy endings, I just can't watch the beginning.

The things some people are able to do to an animal, I'll never understand it.
    "LET'S GO BRANDON!"

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I do like the happy endings, I just can't watch the beginning.

The things some people are able to do to an animal, I'll never understand it.
    I understand completely. Perhaps it would help if I described the actual beginning of the video. No one appears to have actually done anything to the dog - he simply was unable to move his limbs and was effectively paralyzed due to some neurological disorder, and was surrendered by the owner because he didn't know what to do about it. That part of the video is over very quickly. The miracle part follows. (Looking at the photo, it appears that the dog has sustained some kind of injury to its abdomen, but that is not the case; it's just an illusion caused by the way he's being held up.)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand completely. Perhaps it would help if I described the actual beginning of the video. No one appears to have actually done anything to the dog - he simply was unable to move his limbs and was effectively paralyzed due to some neurological disorder, and was surrendered by the owner because he didn't know what to do about it. That part of the video is over very quickly. The miracle part follows. (Looking at the photo, it appears that the dog has sustained some kind of injury to its abdomen, but that is not the case; it's just an illusion caused by the way he's being held up.)

That's not really much better, speaking of the character of the dog's owner.

To surrender your dog, because of a problem you can't deal with, instead of going to the vet and, trying to help the dog, to me, is heartless, especially when dog's are so loyal.
    "LET'S GO BRANDON!"

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's not really much better, speaking of the character of the dog's owner.

To surrender your dog, because of a problem you can't deal with, instead of going to the vet and, trying to help the dog, to me, is heartless, especially when dog's are so loyal.
    I got the impression from the video, and from the fact that he was described as a "hunting dog", that this occurred in a rural part of the country. (Despite the British accents of the workers, "Spain" flashes on the screen at one point.) Not to imply in any way that rural folks don't love their animals, but if he was strictly a working/hunting dog, they doubtless wouldn't go to the same lengths as they would if he were a family pet, even assuming that they had the money. It's something that those of us who think of all our dogs and other animals as family members find it difficult if not impossible to understand, but it's a fact of life. To take a glass half full view (as I always try to do), at least the owner didn't simply shoot him in the head and bury him in a hole, or just leave him out in the high grass to slowly die of hunger and exposure.

When my wife hears about or sees stories like that, her response is invariably "People suck", whereas mine is more liable to be, "Some people suck, but most don't." If everybody sucked, these stories wouldn't have the happy endings that they do.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (08-03-2022)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the impression from the video, and from the fact that he was described as a "hunting dog", that this occurred in a rural part of the country. (Despite the British accents of the workers, "Spain" flashes on the screen at one point.) Not to imply in any way that rural folks don't love their animals, but if he was strictly a working/hunting dog, they doubtless wouldn't go to the same lengths as they would if he were a family pet, even assuming that they had the money. It's something that those of us who think of all our dogs and other animals as family members find it difficult if not impossible to understand, but it's a fact of life. To take a glass half full view (as I always try to do), at least the owner didn't simply shoot him in the head and bury him in a hole, or just leave him out in the high grass to slowly die of hunger and exposure.

When my wife hears about or sees stories like that, her response is invariably "People suck", whereas mine is more liable to be, "Some people suck, but most don't." If everybody sucked, these stories wouldn't have the happy endings that they do.

My neighbors across the road, were going to just watch their dog die, when he ate something and, it lodged in his intestines, the poor guy was deteriorating before OUR eyes!

We thought they had taken him to the vet, when they asked what could cause a dog to vomit uncontrollably and, not eating or, defacating.......I told the guy, sounds like a blockage, he needs to go to the vet.

Several days passed and, my husband asked how the dog was doing, we assumed he'd been to the vet, but, the answer was, "he's dying, we can't afford to take him to the vet and, she wants all the money up front, she won't do payments."

We saw the dog, skinny and barely moving when they'd bring him outside......my husband offered to help pay, they refused, he then told the guy about "care credit, " his son went online, applied for it, got approved and, the dog was going to the vet that same day.

The dog survived and, days later, the guy tells us, "we were watching him die, we would have woke one morning and, he'd be dead."......how awful for that dog, he suffered for days.

Those people, by the way, seem to have plenty of money when it comes to other things like, new cars, a garage conversion, a new travel trailer......etc......just not their dog.
    "LET'S GO BRANDON!"

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My neighbors across the road, were going to just watch their dog die, when he ate something and, it lodged in his intestines, the poor guy was deteriorating before OUR eyes!

We thought they had taken him to the vet, when they asked what could cause a dog to vomit uncontrollably and, not eating or, defacating.......I told the guy, sounds like a blockage, he needs to go to the vet.

Several days passed and, my husband asked how the dog was doing, we assumed he'd been to the vet, but, the answer was, "he's dying, we can't afford to take him to the vet and, she wants all the money up front, she won't do payments."

We saw the dog, skinny and barely moving when they'd bring him outside......my husband offered to help pay, they refused, he then told the guy about "care credit, " his son went online, applied for it, got approved and, the dog was going to the vet that same day.

The dog survived and, days later, the guy tells us, "we were watching him die, we would have woke one morning and, he'd be dead."......how awful for that dog, he suffered for days.

Those people, by the way, seem to have plenty of money when it comes to other things like, new cars, a garage conversion, a new travel trailer......etc......just not their dog.
    There's just something missing in some people. Whether it's their upbringing or something else - I just don't know. The older I've gotten, the more I've come to understand, appreciate and care for animals, particularly my own.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's just something missing in some people. Whether it's their upbringing or something else - I just don't know. The older I've gotten, the more I've come to understand, appreciate and care for animals, particularly my own.

Same here, my mom was the same way, she went to the animal shelter and, asked for the cat that had been there the longest, the one everybody passed by, for the kittens and, adopted it.

I can't go near an animal shelter, I've worked at the Humane Society and, even though I worked in surgery, I had to walk over to the shelter side periodically........the faces, looking through the wire cages, hopeful, begging you with their eyes.......not ashamed to say, I wasn't dry eyed!

That was over 20 years ago, I'm even worse now.
    "LET'S GO BRANDON!"

+ Reply to Thread