Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,591x in 94,420 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Docthehun View Post
    What a journey. Surreal at the least. Month and a half in the hospital followed by five months in a nursing home. God forbid. Tough to visit let alone, being a resident. I thought I'd never get out. On the bright side, they let me out and even offered me a job. Go figure.
    Glad you're back.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (05-22-2023)

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    OLD GUY IN FLORIDA's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,858x in 4,625 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    The side effect of HO trains is that you're never done until, like Doc, you're done.
    My efforts are quite juvenile in materials. I do scratch built and kit bashing. My centerpiece is made of blue board (foam board) so I can alter it easily, over wafer board with 1/4 in ply over that.
    One person said something once about playing with trains. With me, it's using dioramas to tell a story. The trains are just the vehicle.
    I don't "play with trains". I am not a model railroad, I am a railroad modeler. By that I mean although my roads have always been small I have always attempted to run them as if they were actually railroads (with certain limitations of course). I have always built "short line railroads" with limited motive power serving out of the way communities. I also firmly believe the only true locomotive is steam powered!! And the smaller the better.

I like the roads from the 20's and 30's because of the mixture of the freight cars. Sit at a railroad crossing today and the bulk of the cars are either covered hoppers or piggyback trailers all looking the same. To me the era of the "Billboard Box Car" was fascinating and highly artistic.
    Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.”
    Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

4. The Following User Says Thank You to OLD GUY IN FLORIDA For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (04-17-2023)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    delete, duplicate
    Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.”
    Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 1,036
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,267x in 20,296 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD GUY IN FLORIDA View Post
    I don't "play with trains". I am not a model railroad, I am a railroad modeler. By that I mean although my roads have always been small I have always attempted to run them as if they were actually railroads (with certain limitations of course). I have always built "short line railroads" with limited motive power serving out of the way communities. I also firmly believe the only true locomotive is steam powered!! And the smaller the better.

I like the roads from the 20's and 30's because of the mixture of the freight cars. Sit at a railroad crossing today and the bulk of the cars are either covered hoppers or piggyback trailers all looking the same. To me the era of the "Billboard Box Car" was fascinating and highly artistic.
    About a year before we lost our first son, I found an old train set I'd purchased for the kids when they were young. I got to tinkering around with it and had it running in a couple of days. I've always been a modeller. Planes, trains, automobiles, boats, anything that could be put together regardless of origin and material. Homemade kites were the bomb.
    This is my crown:

thumbnail_IMG_0164.jpgP1010175.JPGthumbnail_IMG_0155.jpg
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (04-17-2023),Docthehun (04-18-2023),MisterVeritis (04-17-2023)

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,234
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    jes'fuchinwitcha's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,705x in 1,355 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About a year before we lost our first son, I found an old train set I'd purchased for the kids when they were young. I got to tinkering around with it and had it running in a couple of days. I've always been a modeller. Planes, trains, automobiles, boats, anything that could be put together regardless of origin and material. Homemade kites were the bomb.
    This is my crown:

Attachment 56721Attachment 56722Attachment 56723
    Nice!

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,048x in 24,878 Posts
    Mentioned
    887 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'e always been into trains. Lionel O Gauge. I was in the train shop this weekend and I think I'm going to take all of mine in there to be given the one-over. Then, I think I'm going to get some of them out for my 2-year old granddaughter. She'll have a ​ball
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Docthehun (04-18-2023),stjames1_53 (04-17-2023)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my crown:

Attachment 56721Attachment 56722Attachment 56723
    I have one similar to that, except its made out of plastic and my entire part in its construction was taking it out of the box it came in!! You do wonderful work and I can't even come close to that level of perfection.
    Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

12. The Following User Says Thank You to OLD GUY IN FLORIDA For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (04-17-2023)

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 1,036
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,267x in 20,296 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD GUY IN FLORIDA View Post

P1010190.JPGP1010191.JPG
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

14. The Following User Says Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

Docthehun (04-18-2023)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    I'e always been into trains. Lionel O Gauge. I was in the train shop this weekend and I think I'm going to take all of mine in there to be given the one-over. Then, I think I'm going to get some of them out for my 2-year old granddaughter. She'll have a ​ball
    When my son was 5 years old I bought him a Lionel O Gauge set. I promised him when I thought he was old enough and mature enough to take care of it I would give it to him. Well, he is now 45 and I guess one day I will have to make good my promise!
    Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OLD GUY IN FLORIDA For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (04-17-2023),DGUtley (04-17-2023),Docthehun (04-18-2023),stjames1_53 (04-17-2023)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, yours look like mine generally did. Just as nature never finishes with the Earth Old Guy in Florida never finishes his empires!!!

For the record what got me started in trains was when I was in the 4th grade we would get a magazine in class "My Weekly Reader". On the back page of one issue was a huge Lionel layout with a kid my age at the controls. I said, I gotta do that. After I got out of the Navy and started back in college I had an apartment rather than living in the dorms. I bought a Varney HO train set and assembled it on the floor of my living room. Then I made the mistake of buying a "Model Railroad" magazine and saw what was possible and the rest is history
    Last edited by OLD GUY IN FLORIDA; 04-17-2023 at 12:08 PM.
    Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OLD GUY IN FLORIDA For This Useful Post:

Docthehun (04-18-2023),stjames1_53 (04-17-2023)

+ Reply to Thread