User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bathroom Bans for Transgender Youths Are Poised for Supreme Court Review

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,580x in 94,412 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bathroom Bans for Transgender Youths Are Poised for Supreme Court Review

Even Sotomayor was troubled by this issue in a prior case. Several related cases have side-stepped the bathroom issue. No longer.

Bathroom Bans for Transgender Youths Are Poised for Supreme Court Review

When the Supreme Court heard arguments in 2019 about the rights of gay and transgender workers, the justices seemed fixated on bathrooms.

In all, five justices explored questions related to who can use which bathroom, though bathrooms did not figure in the cases before them.

“Let’s not avoid the difficult issue,” Justice Sonia Sotomayor said, posing a hypothetical one: “You have a transgender person who rightly is identifying as a woman and wants to use the women’s bathroom.”

She added, “So the hard question is: How do we deal with that?”

David D. Cole, a lawyer with the American Civil Liberties Union representing a transgender woman, seemed puzzled.
    “That is a question, Justice Sotomayor,” he said. “It is not the question in this case.”

The justice pressed on. “Once we decide the case in your favor,” she said, “then that question is inevitable.”

The two sides in the 11th Circuit decision found almost no common ground and appeared to talk past each other.

Writing for the majority, Judge Barbara Lagoa said the issue was simple: The school board was free to require students to use the bathrooms that corresponded with their “biological sex,” which she defined as “sex based on chromosomal structure and anatomy at birth.”

In dissent, Judge Jill A. Pryor said that definition was at odds with modern medical science, particularly by failing to account for “the primacy of two biological components in particular, gender identity and neurological sex.”

Judge Pryor focused on the harm she said the school board’s policy caused to Drew, who “was forced to endure a stigmatizing and humiliating walk of shame — past the boys’ bathrooms and into a single-stall ‘gender neutral’ bathroom.”
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 798
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,497x in 1,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has to occur to any thoughtful human that Americans are weird and judicial fools when it comes to sexual issues and personal freedoms. Why is this even going to the so call supreme court full of perverts and perjurers. In Europe years ago, I was fascinated by how open their public bathrooms were. Americans are nuts in this area. Why not have stalls and then do your thing in peace without the nutcases checking on who's who genetically. What a wacko nation we have become. The religious right is a threat to common sense.
    Last edited by midcan5; 01-23-2023 at 11:39 AM.
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,904x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Justice Sonia Sotomayor said, posing a hypothetical one: “You have a transgender person who rightly is identifying as a woman and wants to use the women’s bathroom.”

Rightly? It's not biologically correct. Nor is it a right.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Captdon (01-24-2023),carolina73 (01-23-2023),RMNIXON (01-23-2023)

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 1,047
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,264x in 20,295 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    It has to occur to any thoughtful human that Americans are weird and judicial fools when it comes to sexual issues and personal freedoms. Why is this even going to the so call supreme court full of perverts and perjurers. In Europe years ago, I was fascinated by how open their public bathrooms were. Americans are nuts in this area. Why not have stalls and then do your thing in peace without the nutcases checking on who's who genetically. What a wacko nation we have become. The religious right is a threat to common sense.
    so sayeth the communist blogger.................
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (01-23-2023),zelmo1234 (01-23-2023)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,580x in 94,412 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disregarded as mindless drivel.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,039x in 24,874 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You think all liberals sign on to this? You would be wrong. Dead wrong. My sister and her Karen-cabal is about as left as they come and they are on a rampage on this issue.

As far as comparing us to Europe, that reminds me of a time when I was in law school, and I was this hot little Norwegian that was a nanny for a big shot lawyer in Cleveland. I came home from class one day and found her butt naked in the shower with her two charges - a 2 year old and a 7 year old. She was 21 at least b/c she could drink. I about pelosi'd my pants and had to tell her that we don't do that in the US. Her response: '...oh you Americans, I shower with my Daddy and my brothers all the time... you wouldn't have the problems you do if you were more open about it.'
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 425
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,800x in 4,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Single-seaters is the answer, that way no one needs to know, nor worry, about what someone else has or doesn't have.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 2,462
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,550x in 17,987 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Justice Sonia Sotomayor said, posing a hypothetical one: “You have a transgender person who rightly is identifying as a woman and wants to use the women’s bathroom.”

Rightly? It's not biologically correct. Nor is it a right.

I hope what the Justice meant is the person can identify as a woman, but that does not give them legal status as a woman. For example I can identity as Napoleon but that does not make me Emperor of France!

This is a critical issue for the court that goes beyond bathroom rights. Are we going to have a never ending list of special rights for the gender confused?
    My Revenge will be Success! - Donald J Trump

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RMNIXON For This Useful Post:

Chris (01-23-2023),Red Lily (01-23-2023)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    Single-seaters is the answer, that way no one needs to know, nor worry, about what someone else has or doesn't have.
    True but that also creates safety issues with locking door single use bathrooms in schools, public places, ect.............

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Disregarded as mindless drivel.
    Midcan is praising EU countries for open bathrooms even though they lack our free speech protections and are moving increasingly toward censorship......

This is not about personal freedom so much as lefty comfort zones and who cares about your 9 year old daughter in a bathroom with confused adult males.

+ Reply to Thread