User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Flashlight Recommendations?

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good Flashlight Recommendations?

I'm looking to buy a good flashlight. I want it to be super bright but not super heavy--but not a tiny EDC, either. More of a tactical flashlight that's easy to turn on by feel--no super-complex dials and gizmos. Probably a belt clip. Maybe water-resistant. Don't really need a case.

I don't really need all the extra flashing features, but it's okay if it has them.

Or, at least a good brand. I'm so tired of the Chinese ones with NAMES ALL IN CAPS.

Any ideas? I've got to run, but I'll check in early tomorrow morning to see if anyone has any good ideas. I really want @Cletus to see this because he's given me super ideas in the past. ...she says as she checks the time on her ...

20230222_160022-2.jpg
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Cletus (02-22-2023),Just AnotherPerson (02-26-2023)

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 1,403
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    zelmo1234's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,386x in 14,578 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fenix PD36R PRO Rechargeable Flashlight - Fenix Lighting

I carry this everyday, when I bought mine they had a special where you received an additional battery.

It is amazingly bright, last a long time in the regular mode. feels good in your hand and easy to use

I think that you will like it. Unfortunately, they are made in China.

If you want made in the USA there is this one

E2D Defender® Ultra | 1,000-Lumen Tactical LED Flashlight | SureFire

4. The Following User Says Thank You to zelmo1234 For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (02-23-2023)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 801
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,483x in 15,899 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    I'm looking to buy a good flashlight. I want it to be super bright but not super heavy--but not a tiny EDC, either. More of a tactical flashlight that's easy to turn on by feel--no super-complex dials and gizmos. Probably a belt clip. Maybe water-resistant. Don't really need a case.

I don't really need all the extra flashing features, but it's okay if it has them.

Or, at least a good brand. I'm so tired of the Chinese ones with NAMES ALL IN CAPS.

Any ideas? I've got to run, but I'll check in early tomorrow morning to see if anyone has any good ideas. I really want @Cletus to see this because he's given me super ideas in the past. ...she says as she checks the time on her ...

Attachment 55315
    I just spent the last half an hour collecting links to flashlights I would not hesitate to recommend and somehow I lost the post. So what I am going to do this time is make some recommendations for lights that are all available on Amazon.

One important question to consider if the power source. There are good lights available that run on AA batteries, CR123A batteries and rechargeable batteries. Some are even "dual fuel" lights that can run on two different types of batteries. Another thing to consider is the Lumen and Candela rating. Lumens determine the brightness of the light, but most people ignore the Candela rating and that is really important because the it determines the "throw" or the distance away your light will illuminate a target. You can have a very high Lumen light with a low Candela rating that will actually only throw a short range or a lower Lumen light with a high Candela rating that will throw much farther.

The light I have clipped to my pocket right now and which I have been carrying for 5 or 6 years now is the Nitecore MT20A or MT2A for the newest version. It puts out 345 Lumens and has a throw of about 165 yards. It runs on 2 AA batteries and is nice and light and slim and comfortable to carry all day. It sells for about $35.00 Dollars on Amazon.

Another excellent AA powered light is the Fenix LD22 V2.0. This is the light I have on my nightstand in my bedroom. It puts out 800 Lumens and has a throw of about 235 yards. It is a dual fuel light that runs on either 2 AA batteries or a rechargeable battery that I believe comes with the light. It is very similar in size to the Nitecore. It sells on Amazon for $66.00.

For Cr123A powered lights, My recommendation is the Streamlight 88062 Protac L-X. It is a 500 Lumen light. It runs on 2 CR123A batteries. I am not sure what the throw is on it, but it is pretty good. It is the slimmest of the Protac series, but anything by Streamlight is going to be a very good light.

Rechargeable lights are the current wave and they have some real advantages, mostly just being able to charge them via a USB port. Nitecore, Fenix, Streamlight, and Olight all make some excellent rechargeable lights. The light I carry on my duty belt is an Olight Warrior Pro X. It would be a little bulky for your use, but it is quite the light. I use Olights on all my pistols, rifles and shotguns. The company has come a very long way in just a few years.

One rechargeable you might want to consider is the Bushnell Pro 1000L. Bushnell is not a company you normally associate with flashlights, but that is a good one. It is a no frills 1000 Lumen flashlight that just works really well. I have several. I keep one in each vehicle at al times.

One thing to think about when you are making your decision is the batteries. Here's the thing... the rechargeables are great but if you expect to find yourself in a spot where you may have to depend on your flashlight for extended periods, when your rechargeable dies, you probably won't be able to recharge it in the field, at least not quickly. If your battery operated light dies, you can just pop in a fresh set of batteries and drive on with the mission. AAs are pretty much universally available. CR123As can sometimes be a little harder to find. One big difference between the two is that when AAs get weak, there will be a noticeable dimming of your light that will progress until it dies. With CR123As, the light generally has a consistent output that will suddenly just drop off and the light goes dead.

Streamlight
    Fenix
    Nitrecore
    Olight
    Surefire (Great lights but WAY overpriced)

Any of those brands will serve you well. Based on what I think you will probably use the light for, my inclination would be to go with the Fenix LD22 V2.0, but there are a lot of good lights out there these days. For hiking or walking in the evening, you may also want to look at headlamps. We could have a whole separate conversation on those.
    Last edited by Cletus; 02-22-2023 at 09:58 PM.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (02-26-2023),Peter1469 (02-23-2023),Thom Paine (02-22-2023)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,542x in 94,964 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo1234 View Post
    Fenix PD36R PRO Rechargeable Flashlight - Fenix Lighting

I carry this everyday, when I bought mine they had a special where you received an additional battery.

It is amazingly bright, last a long time in the regular mode. feels good in your hand and easy to use

I think that you will like it. Unfortunately, they are made in China.

If you want made in the USA there is this one

E2D Defender® Ultra | 1,000-Lumen Tactical LED Flashlight | SureFire
    I have an older model of that SureFire.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (02-23-2023)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    I just spent the last half an hour collecting links to flashlights I would not hesitate to recommend and somehow I lost the post. So what I am going to do this time is make some recommendations for lights that are all available on Amazon.

One important question to consider if the power source. There are good lights available that run on AA batteries, CR123A batteries and rechargeable batteries. Some are even "dual fuel" lights that can run on two different types of batteries. Another thing to consider is the Lumen and Candela rating. Lumens determine the brightness of the light, but most people ignore the Candela rating and that is really important because the it determines the "throw" or the distance away your light will illuminate a target. You can have a very high Lumen light with a low Candela rating that will actually only throw a short range or a lower Lumen light with a high Candela rating that will throw much farther.

The light I have clipped to my pocket right now and which I have been carrying for 5 or 6 years now is the Nitecore MT20A or MT2A for the newest version. It puts out 345 Lumens and has a throw of about 165 yards. It runs on 2 AA batteries and is nice and light and slim and comfortable to carry all day. It sells for about $35.00 Dollars on Amazon.

Another excellent AA powered light is the Fenix LD22 V2.0. This is the light I have on my nightstand in my bedroom. It puts out 800 Lumens and has a throw of about 235 yards. It is a dual fuel light that runs on either 2 AA batteries or a rechargeable battery that I believe comes with the light. It is very similar in size to the Nitecore. It sells on Amazon for $66.00.

For Cr123A powered lights, My recommendation is the Streamlight 88062 Protac L-X. It is a 500 Lumen light. It runs on 2 CR123A batteries. I am not sure what the throw is on it, but it is pretty good. It is the slimmest of the Protac series, but anything by Streamlight is going to be a very good light.

Rechargeable lights are the current wave and they have some real advantages, mostly just being able to charge them via a USB port. Nitecore, Fenix, Streamlight, and Olight all make some excellent rechargeable lights. The light I carry on my duty belt is an Olight Warrior Pro X. It would be a little bulky for your use, but it is quite the light. I use Olights on all my pistols, rifles and shotguns. The company has come a very long way in just a few years.

One rechargeable you might want to consider is the Bushnell Pro 1000L. Bushnell is not a company you normally associate with flashlights, but that is a good one. It is a no frills 1000 Lumen flashlight that just works really well. I have several. I keep one in each vehicle at al times.

One thing to think about when you are making your decision is the batteries. Here's the thing... the rechargeables are great but if you expect to find yourself in a spot where you may have to depend on your flashlight for extended periods, when your rechargeable dies, you probably won't be able to recharge it in the field, at least not quickly. If your battery operated light dies, you can just pop in a fresh set of batteries and drive on with the mission. AAs are pretty much universally available. CR123As can sometimes be a little harder to find. One big difference between the two is that when AAs get weak, there will be a noticeable dimming of your light that will progress until it dies. With CR123As, the light generally has a consistent output that will suddenly just drop off and the light goes dead.

Streamlight
    Fenix
    Nitrecore
    Olight
    Surefire (Great lights but WAY overpriced)

Any of those brands will serve you well. Based on what I think you will probably use the light for, my inclination would be to go with the Fenix LD22 V2.0, but there are a lot of good lights out there these days. For hiking or walking in the evening, you may also want to look at headlamps. We could have a whole separate conversation on those.
    Ollhhhh...all excellent ideas and I'm pulling them all up to compare! Thank you so much for taking the time to give me so much detailed information. I get it about the battery aspect--that's really something to consider as some of them have internal rechargeable batteries.

The Surefires have some of the highest ratings--but as you say, they're pricey prospects. So far, I really like the one you suggested -- the Fenix LD22 V2.0 -- 800 lumens, lightweight, and good ratings. And good price!

I still need to check out the Olights and Nitecore models.

It's unbelievable how many good picks are out there.

Thanks so much for giving me those suggestions. Right now, I think it's going to be the Fenix.

(((hugs)))
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surefire led the way in the next generation tactical lights. I still have my first generation Surefire 6P that I bought about 30 years ago when Surefire was just kind of coming on the scene. They were still using incandescent bulbs back then. They came out with an LED upgrade when the technology allowed it and got it right away. The light still works great.

Today though, there are so many really good quality lights out there you just don't have to pay Surefire prices to get a top quality light. They are kind of like handguns or rifles in that respect. Way back when, if you wanted a good handgun or rifle, your choices were really limited. Today, there are so many good manufacturers and designs that you can get a very high quality firearm without going to one of the top 2 or 3 brands. It is the same with flashlights.

That Fenix light you are looking at has the advantage of being a dual fuel light. For daily use, you can just recharge it when it needs it, but if you were going camping or facing an extended power outage or some other long term emergency, just keep some AAs handy and change them as needed. That is actually a pretty slick feature. With the IP68 water and dust rating, you don't need to worry about weather or even dropping it and submerging it in a puddle. Just don't go diving with it. The IP rating was something we didn't discuss and is actually pretty important, especially if you are talking about a tactical light or a light you intend to use it in all conditions.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (02-24-2023)

Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 607
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,824x in 13,706 Posts
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surefire led the way in the next generation tactical lights. I still have my first generation Surefire 6P that I bought about 30 years ago when Surefire was just kind of coming on the scene. They were still using incandescent bulbs back then. They came out with an LED upgrade when the technology allowed it and got it right away. The light still works great.

Today though, there are so many really good quality lights out there you just don't have to pay Surefire prices to get a top quality light. They are kind of like handguns or rifles in that respect. Way back when, if you wanted a good handgun or rifle, your choices were really limited. Today, there are so many good manufacturers and designs that you can get a very high quality firearm without going to one of the top 2 or 3 brands. It is the same with flashlights.

That Fenix light you are looking at has the advantage of being a dual fuel light. For daily use, you can just recharge it when it needs it, but if you were going camping or facing an extended power outage or some other long term emergency, just keep some AAs handy and change them as needed. That is actually a pretty slick feature. With the IP68 water and dust rating, you don't need to worry about weather or even dropping it and submerging it in a puddle. Just don't go diving with it. The IP rating was something we didn't discuss and is actually pretty important, especially if you are talking about a tactical light or a light you intend to use it in all conditions.
    I use mostly headlights, most of mine have the "duel fuel" option. I use mostly what I can pick up locally, and have had good luck with the Coast brand. But I am going to peruse your tactical light selections. I could use a couple of good handhelds.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

13. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

Cletus (02-23-2023)

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    I use mostly headlights, most of mine have the "duel fuel" option. I use mostly what I can pick up locally, and have had good luck with the Coast brand. But I am going to peruse your tactical light selections. I could use a couple of good handhelds.
    Coast makes a good light. I only have one Coast light... the Polysteel 600. I was originally a little concerned about the battery setup, but it works great and is built like a tank. You would have to try pretty hard to destroy that light.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

countryboy (02-23-2023)

Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 607
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,824x in 13,706 Posts
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coast makes a good light. I only have one Coast light... the Polysteel 600. I was originally a little concerned about the battery setup, but it works great and is built like a tank. You would have to try pretty hard to destroy that light.
    The XPH27R is my current favorite headlight. Powered by a lithium ion rechargeable, or CR123. Adjustable spot, easily unclips from headband and has a powerful magnet on the end, so when you use that feature it shines down, and very reasonably priced. Comes with the rechargeable battery.

Cutesy Time is OVER

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one I use most often is made by STKR Concepts. It is called the Flexit Pro 6.5.

My SHTF headlamp is the Fenix HL60R. It is a Dual Fuel Light that puts out 950 Lumens and has a throw of about 115 meters. It has an IPX8 rating, so weather is no issue with it.

One I recommend to a lot of people because it is very cost effective and really rugged is the Energizer Hard Case Headlamp. It runs on AAs and is armored so it makes a good camping light or emergency light to keep handy. I keep one in the center console of all my vehicles in case break down and have to do a repair or walk out of wherever I am. Not fancy, but reliable.

I looked up the specs on your Coast. That is a nice light.
    Last edited by Cletus; 02-23-2023 at 09:39 AM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

countryboy (02-23-2023),Just AnotherPerson (02-26-2023)

+ Reply to Thread