User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Science or God: Do You Have to Pick One?

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 2,237
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,259x in 12,383 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    You can quote all the Bible verses in the world, but when you post crap like this (and worse) it makes your Christian witness amount to a great big zero.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,999
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteranRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience Points
    Calypso Jones's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,860x in 6,374 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol Do you deny what is in God's word?? That post up there is what is going on and it is what is going on from YOUR side. I know that must make you uncomfortable otherwise you wouldn't have responded.

Own it bud. Aren't you proud of it.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    lol Do you deny what is in God's word?? That post up there is what is going on and it is what is going on from YOUR side. I know that must make you uncomfortable otherwise you wouldn't have responded.

Own it bud. Aren't you proud of it.
    I'm curious how you reconcile being one of the angriest, vilest public insulters of those with whom you disagree on this forum with your claims of being a follower of Christ. Do you believe it "doesn't count" if you just do it on the Internet? Assuming that you go to church, would you make a point of publicly calling out fellow members of your congregation for having political or social views you have a problem with? Calling them names and insulting them to their faces? Do you know what a "Christian witness" is?
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 699
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,792x in 13,689 Posts
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I'm curious how you reconcile being one of the angriest, vilest public insulters of those with whom you disagree on this forum with your claims of being a follower of Christ. Do you believe it "doesn't count" if you just do it on the Internet? Assuming that you go to church, would you make a point of publicly calling out fellow members of your congregation for having political or social views you have a problem with? Calling them names and insulting them to their faces? Do you know what a "Christian witness" is?
    Says the guy who thinks Jews being depicted as dogs, is just peachy keen.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Now you're going to have to explain that one.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post

Still waiting for an explanation.

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    skepticalmike's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 120x in 98 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far no one appears to have listened to the video because no one discusses anything in it. This is understandable because the length of the video is 31

minutes and that is too much work.

I listened to his monologue and quit when he started opening up for questions from the audience. I was not impressed.

Dennis Prager doesn't clearly define what science is. This is the first definition I found on the internet and it is good enough. Would this definition apply to any known religion?

Science is the pursuit and application of knowledge and understanding of the natural and social world following a systematic methodology based on evidence. Scientific methodology includes the following: Objective observation: Measurement and data (possibly although not necessarily using mathematics as a tool)

I don't believe that this definition would apply to Islam or Christianity. What would be the systematic methodology used by Christians in order to understand the natural world or human

behavior?

Most religions are concerned with supernatural things and science does not recognize a supernatural realm.

To me, science is mostly about following a method that involves carefully forming a body of knowledge based on much evidence that is composed of theories and laws and is capable of being

falsified.

Dennis Prager says, "if you follow science you don't keep the elderly and infirm alive and you follow the Darwinian rule of survival of the fittest". He says that science doesn't tell

us to be kind. Science doesn't tell us that we must follow survival of the fittest, which is not a Darwinian rule. There is no particular reason why human beings need to pattern their

behavior to be like wild animals. We can rise above our nature and humans have gradually become much more peaceful and kind as a result of cultural influences.

Steven Pinker has written about this.

Dennis Prager says that science hasn't given him wisdom or morality. According to him, science only tells us how to build an atomic bomb but not about when to use them.

That is a little simplistic. Since we know what kind of destruction atomic bombs can cause they have only been used once in world War II. Today, with the destructive power

of many hydrogen bombs and with wars started by nuclear powers impossible to "win", it is not wise for any country to start a nuclear war. Science is very useful in arriving

at that conclusion.
    Last edited by skepticalmike; 03-02-2021 at 09:53 PM.

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 749
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    NapRover's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,636x in 1,083 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    Who has evidence supporting the existence of gods?
    Jews.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NapRover For This Useful Post:

Calypso Jones (03-03-2021)

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    skepticalmike's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 120x in 98 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Religion and Science are perfectly compatible until one attempts to portray itself as the other.
    I don't like to criticize your posts because they are among the best on this website. However, I have to disagree with you on this. Religions generally don't follow any scientific method and they

can conflict with scientific knowledge. The religion of Christianity has evolved over time and spread into many diverse forms of belief. I don't know of any of those Christian variations that can

said to be entirely consistent with science. Science has found no evidence of a soul, a god, an afterlife, miracles, angels, satan, or the resurrection of the dead. Science depends on critical

thinking and skepticism which is missing from religious belief.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalmike View Post
    I don't like to criticize your posts because they are among the best on this website. However, I have to disagree with you on this. Religions generally don't follow any scientific method and they

can conflict with scientific knowledge. The religion of Christianity has evolved over time and spread into many diverse forms of belief. I don't know of any of those Christian variations that can

said to be entirely consistent with science. Science has found no evidence of a soul, a god, an afterlife, miracles, angels, satan, or the resurrection of the dead. Science depends on critical

thinking and skepticism which is missing from religious belief.
    I can't disagree with anything in your post, above, so I can only think that I didn't make my meaning entirely clear in the post of mine that you quoted. Let me explain what I meant.

As noted elsewhere, some see Science as a substitute for Religion - something that makes Religion unnecessary or obsolete. They may view Religion as nothing but a primitive attempt to explain the world's physical mysteries, and to find out how things got to be the way they are. They may believe that Science has answered (or will answer) all those questions, so why would anyone need or want Religion?

Others see Science as challenging their understanding of what God has done and how He has done it - so rather than questioning their own understanding, they lash out at Science. Some dispute the truth of evolutionary theory for no better reason than that they can't bring themselves to believe that their God would do it that way. I once had somebody on a discussion forum, someone who claimed to be a professing Christian, tell me that if he ever came to believe in evolution he would have to stop believing in God. (I have to wonder how many folks who think that way would be surprised at hearing the view of their own pastor, priest or other spiritual leader on the subject.)

So when I wrote that "Religion and Science are perfectly compatible until one attempts to portray itself as the other", what I was attempting to say is that both can be forces for good and co-exist in harmony as long as the proponents of Science don't presume to reject Religion entirely, and as long as the proponents of Religion don't lose sight of the fact that the all-powerful creator of the universe may very well have done some things in ways that are beyond the full understanding of any human being.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

skepticalmike (03-03-2021)

+ Reply to Thread