midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,497x in 1,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After I wrote the comments below I realized my satire went over the head of most people. Russia interfered but the soil was fertile. Anyway at bottom is a youtube that says in a few minutes the real story. I am leaving the Russian comments though.

-

Hope all are well and enjoying this unusual weather. A few people have chastised me for mentioning Russian trolls and their attempts to influence our elections. Anyone who reads Masha Gessen's books on Russia will see a world no American would want for America. We of course have 'dark money' influence that demonstrates the power of certain ideas when money pays for their dissemination. Free market worship and unimpeded markets are its primary goals. Let the 2008 market crash be a lesson on that topic.

Someone wrote an OP recently that claimed no one reads books any more. There is a truth there as social media so dominates our lives today. I have read so much I could fill a small library, but today reading is a challenge as gaslighting is everywhere. There are publishers and press organizations that are supported by the powerful and the not so well intentioned and they are everywhere. So people, at bottom I list some books should you want to know. First two pieces on Russian interference.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...tion-for-trump

https://www.cnn.com/2016/12/26/us/20...cts/index.html

Chomsky tells it like it is:

Books:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...without-a-face

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...l-of-communism
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

2. The Following User Says Thank You to midcan5 For This Useful Post:

jet57 (02-23-2020)

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 798
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Russian Troll talks.

'Russia Rising, Hunting for Internet Trolls'

https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts...1-51yElAxnp98/
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesSocial10000 Experience Points
    Rationalist's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,992x in 1,378 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    Ideology adherents were developed and ideas promulgated to colleges. University Chairs were established and programs developed. These are the idea people today who spread the news. Quite obviously there is a historic background for our country too. At first there was the belief that Communism worked a kind of Marxist magic. Some Americans and even scholars believed the propaganda, but it was just that. Statistics made lies real. Some progress was made. After all we launched Sputnik. Media control in our country can be quite harsh but let's not get too complicated after all America and other nations that can be influenced are our work place today. Russian history can be a footnote. Power wants its people compliant and confused and it pays well and keeps us working. The Bible was right concerning money.
    Spoof or not, this part is true. During the Cold War, a lot of Western academia was manipulated by Marxist propaganda. Identity politics are the successor to this scourge.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rationalist For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (02-23-2020)

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 3,704
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Bo-4's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,310x in 8,305 Posts
    Mentioned
    669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Russian Trolls & Bots - They're BAAACK - And Republicans have done NOTHING to stop them.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/21/tech/...ion/index.html

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo-4 For This Useful Post:

midcan5 (12-19-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Trolls Anguish

America America please please America!

Soon we will have no work, you will put trolls out of work. Trolling is what we do, we call it work. But now you do our work, is that maybe our fault, did we set this fire not knowing what would happen? Republicans could have basked in our success, we helped elect Trump, we made Hillary imaginary, Red America followed and cheered our accusations and falsehoods: Murders email deep state health and Benghazi, it was great material. Fox and Friends followed along, repeated the nonsense, even Comey helped.

But now now now, we didn't train Rudy or AG Barr, who gave them licence to troll, to replace us, who? We admit Pascale and others in Trump's camp could be a members of our team, but Rudy is too much of a gem, he says anything and defends anything. Even we trolls cannot keep up, he goes all over, on Fox especially and says nothing true, nothing but repeats it. When did Fox media become an American Pravda, they copied our state propaganda machine, not fair.

Imagine for a moment how Hillary's email confused all, we worked magic and Trump repeated it over and over again. There was nothing there, an empty bag and yet we sowed doubt suspicion and they followed and they cheered. Tribes are so easily led, we laughed and made claims out of thin air, but now Graham Meadows Jordan Goodlatte Limbaugh Nunes McConnell et al do our work. They don't even give us credit. That's a joke of course.

Republicans and the 'conservative deep state, aka dark money' you've taken our jobs. 'Alternative facts', made up narratives, hidden conspiracies, Ukraine which we actually started, dominate today, and the numerous so called conservative networks and media sources will soon control America's alternative fact assembly line. We know we know - we helped you, now you ignore us and make even us look ineffective. Oh well there is always Europe....

PS Last thought, Impeachment doesn't matter now, too many Americans simply follow and there is enough Republican and conservative media to make the earth flat again. We know, we do that sort of stuff.

Editor's note: It is unclear whether these are the words of a Russian troll or if some wit is having fun at our expense but the words ring true in America today. That is a sad fact.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's back!

Did you miss me, we've been busy as you must know by now. Social media is a great tool for confirmation and deception. Love your elections, the back and forth, the accusations, the exaggerations, the finger pointing. Great theater as some call it. Of course we are usually assigned one preference, but this time we have two. One our last accomplishment the other a foil. Slowly your system of government and democratic law is being whittled down, made more autocratic. Our benefactor's goal. Maybe it was always like that. Hmm. But this 'deep state' fiction and the fearful republican sycophants, government welfare recipients really, are a big help. Nunes, McConnell, and Graham ET AL are great. Add Fox media and soon we'll be out of a job. Joking. But they help lots, kinda un-American don't you think? And democrats still think voters think, imagine that huh. Democrats think bold ideas are important still. Human social progress died long ago. Money and privilege did that. Oh well, gotta get back to work, but we do wish that rich guy would cease his ads, they don't help our cause speaking frankly. We can only work our magic so many stay home again election day. Nока

Editor Note: We cannot confirm the authenticity of above but it rings true today.

"Evil when we are in its power is not felt as evil, but as necessity." Simone Weil

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,768
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ransom's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 15,010x in 10,722 Posts
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're asked to imagine for a moment how Hillary's emails "confused all."

And they did. Those emails.....found not on a Russian Server. But on the laptop of a one Anthony Weiner, husband of Huma Abedin.

Trump pointing out the confusion also because 30,000+ of them were deleted and purged.

But You will need this Russian hoax. You will need deflection and distraction to always Trump.....because your liberal party...has been taken over by AOC squads and Bernie Bro goons.

Chris Matthews from MSNBC claimed he was reading the night before Nevada Primaries about the Fall of France in 1940. That's 80 years ago for you slow and fuzzy math folk. Made the analogy between Bernie's Nevada Primary frontrunner status to the Nazi machine rolling over Paris, I mean, you people are coming apart at the f'n seams. Please.....carry on. This is so fun.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,768
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ransom's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 15,010x in 10,722 Posts
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Russian Troll talks.

'Russia Rising, Hunting for Internet Trolls'

https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts...1-51yElAxnp98/
    = we're losing

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,885
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,664x in 28,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for warning me. I will not waste my time reading that book.

Nor will I waste time on the blog that should be labeled the musings of a left wing nutcase.

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,368x in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Russian Troll Talks

Editor's note: Given the distractions and confusion caused by social media trolls we cannot confirm the authorship of this opinion piece, but we find its analysis interesting and at times insightful.

Zdravstvuj, I am one of those people you read about. We are phantoms to some who think knowledge is stable and real, we know better. First a little history. When the online comment and communications boards began most people had no idea of the power and influence they would eventually create. AOL chat was an early participant as was Yahoo, it was often childish and its format not open to propaganda and idea dissemination. Anyone remember Yahoo answers, it too was occasionally interesting, but the audience wasn't wide enough and we needed better directing and focusing, we needed to target an audience that would believe or even just doubt.

But something else was going on and had been going for a long time. Think Tanks (TT) formed a model for the control of information. RAND and Hudson began after WWII as bases of knowledge and policy, who could have predicated what they would eventually become? How thought itself could be transformed. Propaganda now had a platform, no longer just opinion, no longer on the sidelines, now the Think Tank confirmed whatever it was they were paid to confirm. Agnotology had a sponsor. Smoking bad? Global warming real? Doubt everything. Well not everything only those issues that challenged power.

Today think tanks are tools for the political, economic, and corporate interests - the interests of the monied classes. One could say mind control or people control. The writings and ideas of these TT are used for and by public relations and lobbying groups. Ask yourself, who has time today to read serious journalism when the mediasphere is everywhere and always on? Few do in the wider society. The next step was and is a marriage between Think Tanks and educational programs, breeding ground for idea control and the scholars and students who attended them. The Heritage Foundation, American Enterprise Institute, Heartland Institute, and the Federalist Society stand out. These institutions gave birth to ideologies, free market libertarianism, lower tax policy, big government as the problem. Nationalism ironically became a positive reversing its history. Betsey DeVos for instance is a perfect education secretary, an impotent head of a once important institution.

We can't take credit for creating the Trump partisan, but because they were already primed with an unclear resentment, we were able to exploit that characteristic in many Americans especially white Americans and oddly even religious Americans and Evangelicals. The ground work was done and while it was supported and financed several other developments were required for idea deployment. Ideology adherents were developed and ideas promulgated to colleges. University Chairs were established and programs developed. These are the idea people today who spread the news. Quite obviously there is a historic background for our country too. At first there was the belief that Communism worked a kind of Marxist magic. Some Americans and even scholars believed the propaganda, but it was just that. Statistics made lies real. Some progress was made. After all we launched Sputnik. Media control in our country can be quite harsh but let's not get too complicated after all America and other nations that can be influenced are our work place today. Russian history can be a footnote. Power wants its people compliant and confused and it pays well and keeps us working. The Bible was right concerning money.

Russian trolls: https://www.recode.net/2017/11/2/165...ed-handle-list

The show goes on: https://popular.info/p/trump-ad-cont...ds-on-facebook
    Or not: https://www.zdnet.com/article/putin-...rest-of-world/

"The function of law and theology are the same: to keep the poor from taking back by violence what the rich have stolen by cunning." Robert Anton Wilson

Moderator Note: Article shortened by The Mod Squad per Rule 8. "You must provide a link when quoting an article and follow fair use guidelines (you are permitted to copy and paste two to three paragraphs). In addition, do not alter another user's words when quoting them."
    That's very interesting; thanks for the information. I've read through the thread and looked at the links and I can see no reason NOT to believe what the "Russian Troll(s) have written. Even though the source maybe questionable, we having kept up with this phenomenon can find similarities... The OTHER thing of note is that the far right posters are distancing themselves and condemning your OP as they really don't want to admit that THEY are indeed the targets of this type of propaganda and as Chomsky points out, it's easier to manipulate such a base due to the framing of their world view: and how COULD a conservative evangelical base even think of supporting a cretin like Donald Trump? That's easy, he and his monied interest base, placate to the irrational fears of an uneducated neurotic narrow minded populace: for more on that I will submit Amy Goodman's two part interview with former Cambridge Analytica analyst Brittany Spears and her work in the documentary The Hacking of the American Mind.

+ Reply to Thread