Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hate Crime Hoaxes are More Common Than You Think

"
    A political scientist found that fewer than 1 in 3 of 346 such allegations was genuine.
    https://www.manhattan-institute.org/...than-you-think

While Smollett's is the latest big story, the professor of this study looked at 346 reported "hate crimes" and found that fully two-thirds were false. The professor also wrote a book entitled "Hate Crime Hoax: How the Left is Selling a Fake Race War".
    In Smollett's case, liberal media pushed the hoax as being true, and from the beginning I think anyone who read the entire account knew something was fishy. I was certainly skeptical because the "facts" didn't add up.

If the professor's data is accurate, why is this happening? I scanned some of the book reviews. Most of the positive reviews were "verified purchases" but not one of the negative reviews were, which indicates the negative reviewers didn't bother to read the book (or, they might have picked it up at a bookstore).
    I'm interested in hearing ideas about what's triggering these hoaxes (if you believe the professor) and what will stop them. I didn't read the book so I can't judge its authenticity, but if he's accurate -- what's going on here? Why would anyone want to make it appear as though race relations are worse in this country than they really are? We heard Smollett did it for money -- hoping for a better-paying spot on his TV show -- but what about the rest?
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Common (06-29-2019),Lummy (06-29-2019)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you had a law that was so broad to cover a bunch of things, you use it. All you have to do to any circumstance is add an element of race. Like he called me this, gay is the same just say the F word was used.

Of course it doesnt apply if its one person of color to another or one gay person to another. Straight White Males come to mind
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Captdon (06-30-2019),FindersKeepers (06-29-2019)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    If you had a law that was so broad to cover a bunch of things, you use it. All you have to do to any circumstance is add an element of race. Like he called me this, gay is the same just say the F word was used.

Of course it doesnt apply if its one person of color to another or one gay person to another. Straight White Males come to mind
    I've noticed this, too. If we (as a society) want to get rid of derogatory and bigoted terms, we should get rid of them across the board -- no exceptions. Otherwise, we just keep them alive and circulating.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Common (06-29-2019)

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post

That doesnt pump up the democrat base, apparently hate does
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 793
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,094x in 12,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think in many cases, probably even a majority, it's far more personal on the part of the hoaxer than anything having to do with politics or political advocacy. It's the basic human need for getting attention and sympathy from others, along with a desire to be - in whatever small way - famous.

Then, too, in the case of some African-Americans, I believe that despite the pervasive racism, real or perceived, that they may feel - may have felt for their entire lives - they nevertheless have a difficult time pointing to an incident that makes them, personally, a victim of racist behavior - something more blatant and dramatic than being followed by security in a store, or having people cross the street to avoid them. Exaggerating the details of something that actually happened, or fabricating an incident out of whole cloth, provides some degree of fame and sympathy, while relieving that pressure to provide a concrete example of racism for them to cite.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Captdon (06-30-2019),FindersKeepers (06-29-2019)

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,048x in 24,878 Posts
    Mentioned
    887 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think some of these are argle-bargle but here's a list of supposed fake hate crimes: http://www.fakehatecrimes.org/
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (06-29-2019),Lummy (06-29-2019)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Hate crimes" being meaningless redundancy contrived by Clinton but owned proudly and exclusively by democrats in their collapsing political sanity. Hoaxes begetting hoaxes.

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 455
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,512x in 16,036 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Im going to role play ! Ole' ole' ..uh wrong "role", idiot. Sorry. "Peace to da brothers"! Yo! Good evening mofo's , Smollett here. Im a half ass bit player in a show that be in what..uh oh what be called an anomoly. Hey hey hey MEGA dude! Get dat rope and pretend you be hangin me hey hit me hit me. Dayum not dat hard sheeet
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,730
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,459x in 13,509 Posts
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    "

https://www.manhattan-institute.org/...than-you-think

While Smollett's is the latest big story, the professor of this study looked at 346 reported "hate crimes" and found that fully two-thirds were false. The professor also wrote a book entitled "Hate Crime Hoax: How the Left is Selling a Fake Race War".
    In Smollett's case, liberal media pushed the hoax as being true, and from the beginning I think anyone who read the entire account knew something was fishy. I was certainly skeptical because the "facts" didn't add up.

If the professor's data is accurate, why is this happening? I scanned some of the book reviews. Most of the positive reviews were "verified purchases" but not one of the negative reviews were, which indicates the negative reviewers didn't bother to read the book (or, they might have picked it up at a bookstore).
    I'm interested in hearing ideas about what's triggering these hoaxes (if you believe the professor) and what will stop them. I didn't read the book so I can't judge its authenticity, but if he's accurate -- what's going on here? Why would anyone want to make it appear as though race relations are worse in this country than they really are? We heard Smollett did it for money -- hoping for a better-paying spot on his TV show -- but what about the rest?
    Not more common than I thought, I've always known most were faked.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

15. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (06-29-2019)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I think in many cases, probably even a majority, it's far more personal on the part of the hoaxer than anything having to do with politics or political advocacy. It's the basic human need for getting attention and sympathy from others, along with a desire to be - in whatever small way - famous.
    I have to agree. While the fall-out may be along political lines, unless the person is an activist -- and I've never known that to be a factor -- he or she likely craves the attention and sympathy that comes when people think they were actually victimized. Like the boy who cried wolf and brought the townsfolk running to his defense.

Then, too, in the case of some African-Americans, I believe that despite the pervasive racism, real or perceived, that they may feel - may have felt for their entire lives - they nevertheless have a difficult time pointing to an incident that makes them, personally, a victim of racist behavior - something more blatant and dramatic than being followed by security in a store, or having people cross the street to avoid them. Exaggerating the details of something that actually happened, or fabricating an incident out of whole cloth, provides some degree of fame and sympathy, while relieving that pressure to provide a concrete example of racism for them to cite.
    I can see that, too. When someone is expecting a certain reaction (racism), they may be more likely to perceive that they're being discriminated against. This reminds me of some of the reactions of African-Americans to law enforcement. With so many smart phones around today, we get to see a lot of altercations as they unfold or soon after. While blacks really have suffered discrimination to some extent by law enforcement, not every traffic stop is an intentional racist event. Reminds me of the Michael Brown shooting in Ferguson a few years back. For some blacks, it immediately felt like a race-based shooting, and even when all the evidence was made public, many still thought the young man was an innocent soul gunned down by a ruthless white supremacist. I guess it all comes down to where a person is coming from, perspective-wise.

+ Reply to Thread