Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,511x in 2,019 Posts
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Another Two Seemingly Healthy Runners Die in the Philadelphia Marathon

PHILADELPHIA -- Authorities say two who ran in the Philadelphia Marathon collapsed during the race and died of apparent heart attacks.

Philadelphia police officer Jillian Russell, a spokeswoman, said a 21-year-old man collapsed at the finish line. She said a 40-year-old man collapsed about a quarter-mile before the finish line.

Russell says both were taken to a hospital, where they were pronounced dead.

Melanie Johnson, executive director of The Philadelphia Marathon Race Weekend, says their names were not being released pending notification of relatives.

She says in a statement that organizers are "deeply saddened."

http://espn.go.com/olympics/trackand...lphia-marathon

Now you can say these two had preexisting conditions if you want, but this kind of thing convinces me that running marathons are just not worth it. Most people's bodies aren't designed for this sort of thing, especially if you're working an office job and just the weekend warrior type. RIP.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,582x in 36,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Another Two Seemingly Healthy Runners Die in the Philadelphia Marathon

I do 5 mile runs 4 or 5 times a week when it's warm and 3 when it's cold. I don;t run marathons because I don't think I could handle it physically. I'm inclined to agree with you. That's really over doing it. On the other hand, I know people who have run marathons and they are much weaker than I am. ??? There is a middle aged Indian lady in my office who ran last year in Philadelphia. She's thin but flabby and she must be in her 50s. She really doesn't look like she's in shape. I just don't get it.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsYour first GroupVeteran
    Conley's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    I do 5 mile runs 4 or 5 times a week when it's warm and 3 when it's cold. I don;t run marathons because I don't think I could handle it physically. I'm inclined to agree with you. That's really over doing it. On the other hand, I know people who have run marathons and they are much weaker than I am. ??? There is a middle aged Indian lady in my office who ran last year in Philadelphia. She's thin but flabby and she must be in her 50s. She really doesn't look like she's in shape. I just don't get it.
    Some people say they're running marathons but at twelve minute miles I think it's called walking a marathon. ;D I think if you are smart about it and monitor your heart rate, say don't go over 70% of your max or so you will probably get a good cardio workout. I don't have anything to back this up but I think when people push too hard and red line their HR is when they get into trouble. Some of these guys are probably competitive and trying to prove something as well.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Conley View Post
    Some people say they're running marathons but at twelve minute miles I think it's called walking a marathon. ;D I think if you are smart about it and monitor your heart rate, say don't go over 70% of your max or so you will probably get a good cardio workout. I don't have anything to back this up but I think when people push too hard and red line their HR is when they get into trouble. Some of these guys are probably competitive and trying to prove something as well.
    I was thinking that but didn't want to accuse her. ;D Yeah, they must be pushing themselves to perform at a level and for a length of time that they simply aren't used to.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,542x in 94,964 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long, steady state cardio is counter productive to health. It does not protect the heart against stresses that don't resemble that slow slog of steady state cardio.

Google high intensity interval training and give that shot for your cardio training. 12-15 minutes 2-3 times a week.

I ran one marathon and wish that I never did. It killed my feet and knees, or at least contributed to what the airborne infantry did.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Long, steady state cardio is counter productive to health. It does not protect the heart against stresses that don't resemble that slow slog of steady state cardio.

Google high intensity interval training and give that shot for your cardio training. 12-15 minutes 2-3 times a week.

I ran one marathon and wish that I never did. It killed my feet and knees, or at least contributed to what the airborne infantry did.
    Yes, the joint problems from long distance running are another major negative. Once your knees and back are out forget about doing any kind of cardio.

Long steady state cardio does burn calories according to what I've read. High intensity seems like it would not last long enough to start drawing fat reserves, it would just use up the glucose in the blood for anaerobic activity, right?

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A man of my size won't burn as many calories as a heavier guy but running and swimming burn by far the most calories hands down. That said, a 26 mile run is over doing it to such an extent that I can't imagine how that could be a positive in physical terms. Psychological? Sure.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes, the joint problems from long distance running are another major negative. Once your knees and back are out forget about doing any kind of cardio.

Long steady state cardio does burn calories according to what I've read. High intensity seems like it would not last long enough to start drawing fat reserves, it would just use up the glucose in the blood for anaerobic activity, right?
    Long duration is key to burning fat.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A man of my size won't burn as many calories as a heavier guy but running and swimming burn by far the most calories hands down. That said, a 26 mile run is over doing it to such an extent that I can't imagine how that could be a positive in physical terms. Psychological? Sure.
    26 miles for primitive man may have been no big deal, but with our builds and diet today I don't think there's a comparison. Also, considering how our weight (including lean muscle mass) has grown in the last several generations it's no wonder our joint and skeletal structure haven't had time to evolve accordingly. Even if you eat healthy and are relatively lean the risks outweigh the benefits, and if you're already fit enough to run 26 miles comfortably then why do it?

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Long duration is key to burning fat.
    Agreed. Long duration and then not using your hour and half work out as a justification to stop at Baskin-Robbins on your way home

+ Reply to Thread