Thanks Given
    Thanked 190x in 150 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fav video game ever

I have to say it’s “ The last of us “
    The action and the relationship between the girl and the man is very special
    i think it’s Elli and Joel

i have gone through the game at least 9-12 times over several years . Each time I play I notice new little dialogue and hints .
    This game is something of legends

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best vid game ever to me was the Quake Series
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,792x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Final Fantasy 7

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Xl For This Useful Post:

Ethereal (05-27-2021),Matt Dillon (09-15-2020)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,792x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dgold44 View Post
    I have to say it’s “ The last of us “
    The action and the relationship between the girl and the man is very special
    i think it’s Elli and Joel

i have gone through the game at least 9-12 times over several years . Each time I play I notice new little dialogue and hints .
    This game is something of legends

I have a feeling you might not like the Last of Us 2......lol. There have been certain spoilers that has the community in an uproar.

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 678
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    dgold44's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Xl View Post
    I have a feeling you might not like the Last of Us 2......lol. There have been certain spoilers that has the community in an uproar.
    I heard it’s basically the girl going “Rambo “
    it won’t have the amazing dialogue that made the first one more than a game
    That intricate relationship that blossoms

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those FF games are too long for me
    i prefer games that are short

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,470
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Perianne's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,534x in 1,379 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not a gamer. In fact, the only computer games I ever played were "Lemmings" and "Age of Empires".

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 1,050
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,263x in 20,294 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skyrim.................
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still keep playing dead space 2 lol

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm! This is a really tough one. Right now, I would say that my absolute favorite video games are the 2017 interactive visual novel Butterfly Soup and this year's most controversial game, The Last of Us Part II (which is actually selling like hot cakes, incidentally; so far it's the second-fastest selling game Sony has ever published). I've been wanting to write something about The Last of Us Part II for a while now anyway though and this gives me the perfect excuse to do so.

For anyone who doesn't know, The Last of Us franchise is set in a post-apocalyptic world. The original game centered on a demoralized guy named Joel who finds a sense of purpose in caring for and protecting a girl named Ellie as a kind of surrogate daughter. This sequel (mostly) takes place some years later and (mainly) centers on Ellie, which has been the center of much controversy because...Ellie is a lesbian character and this is thus the first AAA game ever to narratively revolve around such a character in any meaningful sense and thus it is the end of some people's world in real life. *sigh*

Anyway, one of my favorite scenes in The Last of Us Part II was the memory where Joel takes Ellie to the abandoned museum for her birthday. Here is that scene:

There was a whole period of my childhood when dinosaurs were absolutely my $#@!. It went from being like whales to snakes to dinosaurs to Godzilla, in that order of obsessions. I read everything I could about them, watched science videos about them, and all but forced my mom to take us to the natural history museum where they had dinosaur bone exhibits and stuff like practically every weekend on my visitations (lived with my dad and stepmom, but visited my mom on weekends for a lot of my childhood) for quite some time, which we had to make a whole day of each time because it was so far away. (It also helped that they furthermore had an awesome omnimax theater where they'd show short educational films about topics like lava in a way that felt like being on a ride through a volcano. And the planetarium was right there too!) I'd have fun by chasing my friends pretending to be a Tyrannosaurus Rex hunting down some wimpy vegan dinos. And yes, the original Jurassic Park was like my favorite movie for at least a year after my dad took me to see it. And yar, I too was confused about why they were being called "velociraptors" and other technical stuff (e.g. T-Rex vision was NOT based on movement, people). It was thus that I learned about a thing called "artistic license". Anyway, that part brought back all kinds of those happy memories that I loved revisiting.

I also really enjoyed getting to see Ellie pretend to take off into space at the end of that scene. When I was a kid, my first career aspiration was that I wanted to grow up to be a train engineer or a train conductor, one of the two. Then I wanted to be a snake catcher. Then I wanted to be a paleontologist for a while and that stuck for years. I once thought about the magic of space travel too, but the movie Apollo 13 pretty much cured me of that particular want. But anyway, what it (the pretend flight in the game, not Apollo 13) conveyed was the idealism of youth. When you're young, you can't wait to be grown because you think you're going to do all these amazing, history-altering things. You dream of things like going on grand adventures and revolutionizing fields of human endeavor (or of devouring your friends). Then you wake up one day to discover that you wound up a punch-clock worker instead and have to navigate a horrible thing called r-e-s-p-o-n-s-i-b-i-l-i-t-y and start wishing you were a kid again. ...Okay I've gotten kinda lost in my train of thought here, but where I was trying to go with all that was just to say that it made feel like a kid again for a while and I really liked that.

Another favorite scene of mine from TLOU2 was the whole part after Abby and Ellie's first fight where Ellie and Dina are living in the farmhouse and raising Jesse Jr. together. Here is that scene:

I don't know how to put into words how getting to experience that as Ellie, to be able tomove around and interact with Dina and J.J. and the sheep and just like simulate leading a normal family life, felt.. ...I mean I got to interact with my actual fantasy in earnest in a video game for the first time ever! I mean that's like what I dream of: being able to be a wife and a mom and just lead a normal life that way. Just those simple sorts of things that most people take for granted. Plus I got to be in the one in the kitchen with Dina. (For non-American readers, that's a banal Americanism I just referenced there.) Anyway, I've never seen that in a video game before; like two women starting a family together. Not at all like this anyway. That was really, really special. Honestly, I was crying just about the whole time throughout all of that because even when it got dark, Dina was there to help pull Ellie through. That's the kind of thing that, in real life, pushes people, including dates, away from me. Things like my PTSD and lucid nightmares and depression invariably wind up being too much baggage for others to want to deal with. I try to manage them, but the simple reality is that they still get in the way a lot and my relationships don't last very long as a result. I'm 35 years old now. It's really starting to feel like there is nobody for me and I'll just have to go through the rest of my life alone. I need a minute.

Okay. Anyway, speaking of all this, Dina is definitely my favorite character in this game. I mean Ellie is the character who's personality most resembles mine, but Dina's my favorite character, easily. That's because she gets what real love is. She's there for Ellie almost unconditionally, not just when it's easy and fun. During Ellie's missions, I came to really look forward to her return trips to the theater. The days were grueling and traumatizing for Ellie, but they ended with tender moments of healing that were among the game's sweetest and most powerful moments to me.

Many of this game's detractors complain about these sorts of quieter moments, wishing the experience had been more exclusively action-oriented. For me, these sorts of "walking scenes" not only provided a very welcome, calming break from the tenseness of the game's larger events, but were some of my favorite parts!

Anyway, just wanted to say that today. Definitely among my favorite games overall. There are some elements of the game I'm wasn't totally on board with, but that's also true of like every game. Serious contender for the status of my favorite game.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 07-26-2020 at 08:55 PM.

+ Reply to Thread