User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Who quoted me? And what's an Advisor?

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    CenterField's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 500x in 395 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who quoted me? And what's an Advisor?

I've seen other vBulletin forums that have a link pinned to one of the top bars - you click on it, and it shows a list of all the new posts that have quoted one of your own posts. You can then click directly on the items of that list and be taken to the post where someone quoted you.

I don't see this option here; correctly me if I'm wrong and if it is somewhere and I just can't find it.

I'm not sure if it is an issue of vBulletin version, or a third-party add-on, but if the Admin has this function available but it is just not enabled, would you please enable it?

I find it really useful. It is good to see very rapidly the posts of people who have responded to you, so that you can read them and respond as well, instead of leaving them hanging.

I know that if you click on Settings it shows a list of threads you've subscribed to, that have new posts. This is helpful but not enough, if you just care for (or only has the time for) rapidly reading responses you've collected and responding to those people who want to engage you in a discussion.

A list of threads you've subscribed to that have new posts is a useful feature, but maybe all of the new posts have nothing to do with what you've posted yourself and did not quote you. Or someone did quote you but it's lost in the middle of several pages. A feature like I'm mentioning above would be way more focused and more helpful.

-----

Also curious to know: some members have their names in blue font and they are given the title of Advisors. What's the difference between an Advisor and a Moderator?

Thanks.
    Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wear a mask, wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,590x in 94,419 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CenterField View Post
    I've seen other vBulletin forums that have a link pinned to one of the top bars - you click on it, and it shows a list of all the new posts that have quoted one of your own posts. You can then click directly on the items of that list and be taken to the post where someone quoted you.

I don't see this option here; correctly me if I'm wrong and if it is somewhere and I just can't find it.

I'm not sure if it is an issue of vBulletin version, or a third-party add-on, but if the Admin has this function available but it is just not enabled, would you please enable it?

I find it really useful. It is good to see very rapidly the posts of people who have responded to you, so that you can read them and respond as well, instead of leaving them hanging.

I know that if you click on Settings it shows a list of threads you've subscribed to, that have new posts. This is helpful but not enough, if you just care for (or only has the time for) rapidly reading responses you've collected and responding to those people who want to engage you in a discussion.

A list of threads you've subscribed to that have new posts is a useful feature, but maybe all of the new posts have nothing to do with what you've posted yourself and did not quote you. Or someone did quote you but it's lost in the middle of several pages. A feature like I'm mentioning above would be way more focused and more helpful.

-----

Also curious to know: some members have their names in blue font and they are given the title of Advisors. What's the difference between an Advisor and a Moderator?

Thanks.
    Moderators sometimes ask advisors about forum issues, particularly possible rule changes or amendments.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Settings: General Settings > Quote Notification. You can set so you're notified when others quote you.

Advisors advise, in a very limited capacity. Moderators take their advice, sort of. Based on my experience as an Advisor. Advisors replaced VIPs who had the power to make rules.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Settings: General Settings > Quote Notification. You can set so you're notified when others quote you.

Advisors advise, in a very limited capacity. Moderators take their advice, sort of. Based on my experience as an Advisor. Advisors replaced VIPs who had the power to make rules.
    Thanks. I changed my settings to be notified of quotes. I see the only options are email (God, no!) and PMs, so I set it to PMs, but like I said, there is no simple link to click and immediately get a full clickable list of the posts where others have quoted you. So the method you suggested is better than nothing but still not ideal.

I see about Advisors, thanks.
    Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wear a mask, wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.

Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I changed my settings to be notified of quotes. I see the only options are email (God, no!) and PMs, so I set it to PMs, but like I said, there is no simple link to click and immediately get a full clickable list of the posts where others have quoted you. So the method you suggested is better than nothing but still not ideal.

I see about Advisors, thanks.

There might be a mod to vBulletin that makes what you ask for available, just ask @ADMIN to look into it.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,422
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ADMIN's Avatar Administrator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,266x in 2,948 Posts
    Mentioned
    1373 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's this, but it's not compatible with this version of vB

https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=255285

We're going to be moving to a new server soon (which will help with the database connection errors) but I can look into other options at a later date once I get the bugs ironed out.

For now, I use the PM option. It takes an extra click or two to see where one has been quoted, but it's not too bad.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ADMIN For This Useful Post:

CenterField (06-14-2020),Chris (06-14-2020),jet57 (06-16-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ADMIN View Post
    There's this, but it's not compatible with this version of vB

https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=255285

We're going to be moving to a new server soon (which will help with the database connection errors) but I can look into other options at a later date once I get the bugs ironed out.

For now, I use the PM option. It takes an extra click or two to see where one has been quoted, but it's not too bad.
    Thanks, Admin.

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    John Galt's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,137x in 1,724 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Admin.
    I had extensive private discussions about this when I got here. Nobody could find it in this version. It is handy. On this version, people can tag you by using @. You get a notification whenever someone does that.

+ Reply to Thread