Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,512x in 16,036 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    Men having a cat as a pet is weird. It’s more weird if they have multiple cats.
    You might think so. After all, cats are a thinking mans pet.
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cotton1 For This Useful Post:

Mister D (07-20-2020),silvereyes (07-22-2020)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,992x in 55,613 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    You might think so. After all, cats are a thinking mans pet.
    Not hardly. They are a pet for people who are prone to ignore their pet for certain periods of time.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,992x in 55,613 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    I once thought so, but then I adopted two kitties, plus my adopted dog, and it was all good.
    Having a dog mitigates that.

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My cats were wonderful company too.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lummy For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (07-22-2020),Retirednsmilin308 (07-23-2020)

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,470
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Perianne's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,534x in 1,379 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My feller said he was thinking about getting a cat. I told him if he does, we should both start seeing other men.

(JOKING!!!!!!)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perianne For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (07-17-2020),Retirednsmilin308 (07-18-2020)

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    CenterField's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 500x in 395 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gee, lots of drama.

I'm new here (at least, relatively new; I guess my post count is making me a bit less new, now), and I don't pretend to know all the background on certain animosities here. But I find both John Galt and Peter 1469 to be interesting posters. I'd hate to see John Galt leave based on some sort of disagreement. The one part in which I find this forum to be a bit lacking, is the fact that it is very heavily right-wing in terms of the number of right-wing versus left-wing posters.

I'd assume that the dominant majority here wouldn't enjoy it if all left-wing posters left. What's the fun in a sounding board, in talking to oneself in front of a mirror?

There are already too few left-wing posters. They should be seen as a commodity. Everybody should treat them well in order to preserve a space where ideas can be actually debated.

What's the fun in this?

Member A) "Red is a neat color."
    Member B) "Yep. Red is cool."
    Member C) "Definitely. I like red."
    Member D) "Red is the best."
    Member E) "Agreed. Wouldn't want any color but red."
    Member F) "Yep. Red for me too."
    Member G) "Yep."
    Member H) "Yep."
    Member I) "Yep."

------

As for moderation, I was once a moderator in a large Politics forum. for a long time. Oh boy. Lots of (unpaid) work, lots of people whining, lots of frivolous reports, and CONSTANT complaints from the left-wingers that moderators were too heavy-handed on them because the moderators were certainly right-wingers themselves, AND... CONSTANT complaints from the right-wingers that moderators were too heavy-handed on them because the moderators were certainly left-wingers... Members were always displeased. Can't win.

At one point I got fed up and quit. Never went to that place again. So I don't envy the work of the moderators.

I also own a forum. It's 100% unrelated to Politics. Actually in the bylaws, I specifically forbid two topics: Politics, and Religion, because I wanted a civil place where people could be friends and share their passion for a common interest (the topic of that forum) and I knew that Politics and Religion talks would ruin those friendships.

Also, it's probably one of the heaviest moderated places in the entire internet, because the rule there is pretty simple: members are summarily banned, permanently, if they are not civil. Period. Full stop. It's a "three strikes and you're out" thing. We (my moderators and I, the Admin) give members two opportunities to shape up. The third time they do it again despite moderation action, they are gone forever. No thread bans, no temporary bans, no purgatory... just gone, never to be allowed back.

So my forum got a reputation for that... and while this stance did decrease the overall number of members (I don't care; it's not for profit, and it is self-sufficient in terms of the advertising income paying for all the software and web-hosting), those who join know what to expect, and are civil... or else they're gone.

I've been told a few times that my forum is the most pleasant/friendly and civil place in the whole Internet... I guess that's a bit of a hyperbole... but I like to keep it this way.

This means, I have to be a member somewhere else to discuss politics... which is why I'm here, LOL.

Anyway, can't we all get along despite our differences in political opinions?
    Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wear a mask, wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CenterField For This Useful Post:

John Galt (07-20-2020)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I may ask, do you know someone here, or how did you find this board?

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,885
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,664x in 28,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CenterField View Post
    Gee, lots of drama.

I'm new here (at least, relatively new; I guess my post count is making me a bit less new, now), and I don't pretend to know all the background on certain animosities here. But I find both John Galt and Peter 1469 to be interesting posters. I'd hate to see John Galt leave based on some sort of disagreement. The one part in which I find this forum to be a bit lacking, is the fact that it is very heavily right-wing in terms of the number of right-wing versus left-wing posters.

I'd assume that the dominant majority here wouldn't enjoy it if all left-wing posters left. What's the fun in a sounding board, in talking to oneself in front of a mirror?

There are already too few left-wing posters. They should be seen as a commodity. Everybody should treat them well in order to preserve a space where ideas can be actually debated.

What's the fun in this?

Member G) "Yep."
    Member H) "Yep."
    Member I) "Yep."

------

As for moderation, I was once a moderator in a large Politics forum. for a long time. Oh boy. Lots of (unpaid) work, lots of people whining, lots of frivolous reports, and CONSTANT complaints from the left-wingers that moderators were too heavy-handed on them because the moderators were certainly right-wingers themselves, AND... CONSTANT complaints from the right-wingers that moderators were too heavy-handed on them because the moderators were certainly left-wingers... Members were always displeased. Can't win.

At one point I got fed up and quit. Never went to that place again. So I don't envy the work of the moderators.

I also own a forum. It's 100% unrelated to Politics. Actually in the bylaws, I specifically forbid two topics: Politics, and Religion, because I wanted a civil place where people could be friends and share their passion for a common interest (the topic of that forum) and I knew that Politics and Religion talks would ruin those friendships.

Also, it's probably one of the heaviest moderated places in the entire internet, because the rule there is pretty simple: members are summarily banned, permanently, if they are not civil. Period. Full stop. It's a "three strikes and you're out" thing. We (my moderators and I, the Admin) give members two opportunities to shape up. The third time they do it again despite moderation action, they are gone forever. No thread bans, no temporary bans, no purgatory... just gone, never to be allowed back.

So my forum got a reputation for that... and while this stance did decrease the overall number of members (I don't care; it's not for profit, and it is self-sufficient in terms of the advertising income paying for all the software and web-hosting), those who join know what to expect, and are civil... or else they're gone.

I've been told a few times that my forum is the most pleasant/friendly and civil place in the whole Internet... I guess that's a bit of a hyperbole... but I like to keep it this way.

This means, I have to be a member somewhere else to discuss politics... which is why I'm here, LOL.

I think what you have here is a thread that burnt out and just a group of peopel bantering about their pets. If you came to answer the subject of the OP then I think it died a few pages ago.

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 455
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,512x in 16,036 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CenterField View Post
    Gee, lots of drama.

What's the fun in this?

Member G) "Yep."
    Member H) "Yep."
    Member I) "Yep."

------

I talk to myself in the mirror quite often

I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cotton1 For This Useful Post:

Leanne778 (07-22-2020)

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,118
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Retirednsmilin308's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,826x in 3,490 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    Men having a cat as a pet is weird. It’s more weird if they have multiple cats.
    ...multiple cats...wearing leg warmers in winter in their man cave...sipping traditional women's drinks...and listening to Enya sometimes.

There is definitely something wrong with those goofy bastids.

My wife, the VA, and my psychiatrist would agree.

...but I am the one getting the checks for being so freakin' weird, so who is the crazy one after all?
    When it is not allowed to be questioned, it is not science, it is PROPAGANDA

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Retirednsmilin308 For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (07-24-2020),John Galt (07-20-2020),Tahuyaman (07-18-2020)

+ Reply to Thread