26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Peter 1469

@ Peter1469

http://thepoliticalforums.com/thread...=1#post2920328

In your thread, you made this suggestion to me:

Use a PM to question Mod action.

In the past members would get a 24 hour ban for that.

Also if others are doing the same thing, and nothing happens use the report feature. Most Mod action is based of reports.

Thanks for the suggestion. First...I never have, and never will report a post. You guys are used to running a board like a religious organization. I don't care to. I'm fully aware of the difference between a heavily moderated board, vs. a lightly moderated board. I've been on both, and I notice that Right leaning boards tend to have the most heavy handed brand of moderation. I'm also acutely aware that all message boards run on a 'take it or don't' model. If someone doesn't like the way a board is run, they are free to leave. Myself included. I'm perfectly willing to walk away from this board and never look back, if my wisdom isn't welcome here.

In this instance, I'm still trying to discern the ever contradictory parameters of the moderation here. Especially in the tPF threads. A week or so I learned (I think) that the OP can have any member removed from their thread for any reason. Said member will be removed without debate over a rules violation. It's solely up to the OP. Maybe I misunderstood the explanation?

In the thread I linked, that would mean that you would have asked a mod to give me a warning for a comment I made, that was actually a direct quote of a comment that was made earlier by another member.

http://thepoliticalforums.com/thread...=1#post2919779

Now, I suppose I could thank you or Common for being so lenient, while not being lenient with another member.

On the other hand, I would ask you why you opted to ignore the infractions of other members when you were requesting actions?

Again...I'm trying to discern the rules/regs here. I find it odd that mods are so sensitive, that there is no public question of their actions. I have never seen that on any other heavily moderated board.

Am I accurate thus far? Did you start the wheels in motion for the imbalanced moderation in your thread? Do mods take no action unless they are contacted? In this instance alone, it seemed amusing, as I was warned for a comment that was an exact copy of a comment made earlier in the thread.
    Maybe it had nothing to do with your input.

My comment broke no rules, but I know rules don't matter in tPF threads
    Maybe this belongs in the one on one debate forum. I'm not sure.

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 793
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,094x in 12,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    @ Peter1469

Thanks for the suggestion. First...I never have, and never will report a post. You guys are used to running a board like a religious organization. I don't care to. I'm fully aware of the difference between a heavily moderated board, vs. a lightly moderated board. I've been on both, and I notice that Right leaning boards tend to have the most heavy handed brand of moderation. I'm also acutely aware that all message boards run on a 'take it or don't' model. If someone doesn't like the way a board is run, they are free to leave. Myself included. I'm perfectly willing to walk away from this board and never look back, if my wisdom isn't welcome here.

In this instance, I'm still trying to discern the ever contradictory parameters of the moderation here. Especially in the tPF threads. A week or so I learned (I think) that the OP can have any member removed from their thread for any reason. Said member will be removed without debate over a rules violation. It's solely up to the OP. Maybe I misunderstood the explanation?

In the thread I linked, that would mean that you would have asked a mod to give me a warning for a comment I made, that was actually a direct quote of a comment that was made earlier by another member.

Now, I suppose I could thank you or Common for being so lenient, while not being lenient with another member.

On the other hand, I would ask you why you opted to ignore the infractions of other members when you were requesting actions?

Again...I'm trying to discern the rules/regs here. I find it odd that mods are so sensitive, that there is no public question of their actions. I have never seen that on any other heavily moderated board.

Am I accurate thus far? Did you start the wheels in motion for the imbalanced moderation in your thread? Do mods take no action unless they are contacted? In this instance alone, it seemed amusing, as I was warned for a comment that was an exact copy of a comment made earlier in the thread.

First, I hope you don't get sanctioned for posting a "call out thread", or have the thread dropped into the Inferno, or whatever it's called. That usually happens when a member has their name put into a thread title, but I don't personally think that your intention in this case was to insult or embarrass Peter.

I've only ever, in the five years I've been posting here, begun one tPF thread, and I did it the other day because I wanted to see a serious discussion of an important topic, and thanks to some folks that can be a challenge. I did not go into it expecting, let alone wanting any other member to be thread-banned. I was actually having what promised to be a good exchange with one of the two members whom I eventually did have to TB, but that went sideways relatively quickly. It's my understanding that in a tPF situation a thread creator can TB anyone for any reason and no specific rules violation needs to be cited; that has happened to me at least twice that I can remember.

In the case of my own tPF thread, I thread-banned one member for personal insults, dragging in an unrelated argument from another thread and bad faith posting, and the second member for further disrupting the thread by doubling-down on the first guy's comments and making me, rather than the topic, the object of the discussion. The thread had promise, I believed, and might have gone on with more members participating, but the constant effort to keep the discussion on topic, made necessary by those two members who were bent on getting in digs on me, bringing in extraneous b.s. from other threads and trying to be cute, managed to kill the thread. After a couple of pages of that sort of thing, most people lose interest in a thread, and who can blame them?
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

John Galt (07-17-2020),pjohns (07-21-2020)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,475x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Captdon (07-16-2020),carolina73 (07-17-2020),Chris (07-16-2020),Cotton1 (07-17-2020),Tahuyaman (07-22-2020)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,594x in 94,422 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Peter1469

I don't see it as a call out thread.

I understand that some people don't use the report feature. My advise to them is to not complain about "uneven" moderation in that case. Reports get acted on. Mods don't hunt for violations.

I am not a mod and have no opinion on the linked posts and mod responses.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

bdtex (07-23-2020)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Peter1469

Good grief.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lummy For This Useful Post:

Chris (07-16-2020),Mister D (07-16-2020),Tahuyaman (07-22-2020)

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,853
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,935x in 8,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Peter1469

It's quite simple. With regard to tPF designated threads, the thread starter (OP) can have anyone they so choose thread banned. While the normal forum rules still apply to the thread and moderation for transgressions of same, if the OP so chooses, for any reason, to have a member removed from the thread, a Moderator will remove that member. If a member is being thread banned by request of the OP, it will be so indicated in the announced thread ban, so as to distinguish it from a thread ban initiated by moderation.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Captdon (07-16-2020),pjohns (07-21-2020)

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 154
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mamooth's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,071x in 788 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Reports get acted on.
    Not in my experience.
    If a conservative makes an accusation, it's actually a confession.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,594x in 94,422 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mamooth View Post
    Not in my experience.
    I should say they are investigated.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    John Galt's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,137x in 1,724 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses, and thanks to staff for not closing this thread...yet.

So I was correct. In tPF threads, there is no reason necessary for a TB. I have seen forums where you can ban any members when you start the thread. I see tPF is this board's version of same. It's meant to create a thread where you have a closed group of people who agree with the OP. I'll avoid all tPF threads in the future, unless I have confidence in the member who starts it.

But...given what was mentioned in this thread, if it was Peter who suggested that I get a warning in his thread, then it would have been included in the warning that a certain Mod gave me. Given that no notification was given, I now know that the OP didn't initiate it, and the Mod actually used selective moderation, as he/she ignored several other posts that were way over the line with respect to 'rules'.

I think my links in this OP make that very clear.

At least I've had a few questions clarified. I now know how to proceed if I intend to post on this board.

Thanks to (most of) all who posted responses.

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    John Galt's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,137x in 1,724 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I don't see it as a call out thread.

I understand that some people don't use the report feature. My advise to them is to not complain about "uneven" moderation in that case. Reports get acted on. Mods don't hunt for violations.

I am not a mod and have no opinion on the linked posts and mod responses.
    I understand, but quite often Mods are actually participating in the threads. No 'hunting' involved.

And no. This certainly wasn't a call out thread. I was shut out of the thread where you made the above referenced comment to me, so I was unable to ask you there.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to John Galt For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (07-17-2020)

+ Reply to Thread