Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    I really haven't gotten into the Marvel movies but I used to love to read the marvel comics.
    I've consigned and sold a lot of my collection over the years, but I still have an almost-complete run of the Avengers (including a copy of #1 that I bought off one of those squeaky revolving comic racks in the supermarket for 12 cents in 1963) and several hundred Captain America issues. I also collect and enjoy a lot of those oddball, non-DC non-Marvel comics from the '60s, like T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents, The Mighty Crusaders and Solar, Man of the Atom. Or Nemesis and Magicman from IGC. Superheroes were so big in the '60s, they even tried making The Shadow and Dracula into spandex-clad characters for awhile. And if you were into underground comics at all...anyone else remember Wonder Warthog?
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dislike super hero movies, Ive watched a few and was underwhelmed...
    The comic books many decades ago when I read them were far more entertaining.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 284
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Metal God's Avatar Post Review / PM Disabled
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 67x in 58 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every movie is same thing. Save the day and what not. That’s why I like The Joker. It was refreshing. I think MCU’s Golden age is over honestly. I’ve heard they’re rebooting fantastic four again. That could definitely be big enough to fill the shoes of the avengers. Galactus as he is in the comics would be cool to see. In the last movie they just made him into like a storm. It was stupid.

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    PaulyWalnuts's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 283x in 181 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in the movie business for a while. We specialized in more serious content for local theaters when I was coming up. My job was to find the female talent and make the pitch for them to enter the business.

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 879
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A few weeks ago I finally got around to watching the two latest MCU films, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings and The Eternals, and I can't say I'd recommend either of them. Both had fun moments, but they were literally just moments. Shang-Chi was essentially just a very expensive Hong Kong-style kung fu movie, and Eternals, while I liked the idea of a group of super-powered aliens living on Earth for thousands of years and giving rise to many of mankind's legends of gods and heroes, between the scope of the film, in terms of time and geography, and the huge cast that had me doing a mental inventory every twenty minutes to remember who was still alive and who was or wasn't a good guy, the filmmakers sort of forgot to make me care about any of them. (They saved the world? Great. What were their names again?)

One small (and very obscure) little Easter egg in Eternals involves the seemingly normal, unpowered boyfriend of one of the female Eternals, who turns out to be one of the oldest, and at the same time most obscure Marvel heroes in the comics.

As expected, the latest Spiderman movie was really great. I guess by this time everyone (who cares) knows that they brought in the two actors who portrayed Spiderman in the two earlier film franchises, Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield, to play the Spider-men from other universes, along with many of their respective villains - all played by the original actors, like Willem Dafoe, Alfred Molina and Thomas Haden Church. (Tobey Maguire is looking a bit long-in-the-tooth these days, or maybe it's just in contrast to how we remember him back in the day.) The real surprise, for me anyway, was the brief appearance of Charley Cox as blind attorney Matt Murdock a/k/a Daredevil - the highlight of the late, largely lamented Marvel Television Universe, or whatever they called it. And Marvel has announced that Charley will be their big screen Daredevil.

That actually prompted me to go back and watch all those Marvel t.v. shows on Netflix before they left that network on March 1st. Three seasons of 'Daredevil' + 'Jessica Jones', 'Luke Cage', 'The Punisher', 'Iron Fist' and 'The Defenders'. They're all reportedly on Disney+ in Canada now, and should be on Disney+ in the U.S. shortly. How much of their content will be considered canonical to the main MCU and how much will be considered to be the stuff of the multiverse remains to be seen...but we know that Daredevil is definitely the same guy (or at least the same actor) and DD's main nemesis in the t.v. show, Kingpin, played by Vincent D'onofrio, popped up on the season finale of the Disney+ show 'Hawkeye'.

A week or two ago the guest host on 'SNL' was an actor named Oscar Isaac, and I have to confess I couldn't place him at all. Apparently he played a character called Poe Dameron in some of the Star Wars movies I never saw, and was one of the principle actors in last year's Dune. He will star in the latest Disney+ series/miniseries 'Moon Knight'. I remember the character from the '70s. Definitely one of Marvel's more obscure ones, but it could be good. They're really putting some good writing and production values into those Disney+ shows. 'The Falcon and the Winter Soldier' was first-rate.
    Last edited by Standing Wolf; 03-26-2022 at 12:56 PM.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

+ Reply to Thread