Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,088x in 12,283 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Marvel Phase Four

I decided to post this in the Geek Out Zone rather than in Sights and Sounds, because...well, even though the subject is movies and t.v. and threads about those things are normally posted in the latter, this thread is about superhero movies and since not everyone is interested in such things - and even fewer will admit to it on a political message board - I'm putting it here, for my fellow fanboys (and fangirls) to hopefully enjoy and participate in.

By the way, if your planned "contribution" is to inform everyone that you "don't care about superhero movies", please save everyone from having to be embarrassed for you and just don't do it.

I've been filling in some at-home-far-more-than-usual time by re-watching most of the big ensemble movies from the first three phases - CA:WS and the four Avengers films, and I've started to look more closely at the projected (and delayed) Phase Four projects. To be very honest - and I started this thread mainly to see whether anyone agrees with me on this - I'm not really seeing all that much to get excited about.

Yeah, it's always great watching Black Widow kick ass, but the fact that we know it's a flashback movie and we also know what's going to happen to her in Endgame sort of puts a damper on the whole thing...am I wrong? The Eternals and Shang-Chi? Eh. Aren't these the cinematic equivalent of the comics Marvel puts out that get scrapped after a few issues because no one is buying them?

I'm a little more jazzed about the Spiderman and Thor sequels - probably because I like both characters and Thor is one of the few original film Avengers not to be dead or a hundred years old. Hopefully the Thor film will be a light-hearted entry like Ragnarok and not a dimly lit, soporific like Dark World.

I love Cumberbatch, but I'm not a big fan of magic and mysticism in movies, as opposed to fireworks and butt-kicking, so my anticipation for Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness is mainly because of the concept of the Multiverse being, one would presume, being introduced into the Marvel Cinematic Universe by this film. Now that Marvel/Disney own the Fantastic Four and X-Men franchises, rumor has it that those two super-groups will be revealed to be active in alternate Earths. Doctor Doom, the FF's main villain of course, is rumored to be an element in the planned Black Panther 2, and some are suggesting that Wolverine - not Hugh Jackman, of course - may pop up in the Falcon and the Winter Soldier series at some point.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (07-24-2020)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 2,023
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I thought I read that Natalie Portman is the next Thor (or something?) and is coming back in the next movie. That could be interesting, but it could also be over-engineered even if it was in the original comics. I did not like Captain Marvel and it was disappointing because it was a big moment for women in the genre.

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    I thought I read that Natalie Portman is the next Thor (or something?) and is coming back in the next movie. That could be interesting, but it could also be over-engineered even if it was in the original comics. I did not like Captain Marvel and it was disappointing because it was a big moment for women in the genre.
    Yes, Thor: Love and Thunder is reported to follow the comics storyline of Jane Foster assuming the mantle (and hammer) of Thor.

What didn't you like about Captain Marvel?
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,536x in 26,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not that I don't care about them. I watch most of them. It's just that they're becoming increasingly formulaic, silly, and vacuous.

Which is unfortunate since I really liked some of the early entries in the superhero genre, like Ironman and Thor.

For me, the best superhero movies will always be the movies that contain complexity, nuance, and humanity. I find the evolution of movies in general to be upsetting. Less and less emphasis is being put on art with more and more emphasis on profits or political messaging. So many writers and directors today confuse preaching at their audience with art. I really do not need Hollywood to tell me that racism is bad or that homosexuals deserve equality. I already know that. I've known it for a LONG time. Most of society knows this. It's no longer subversive or original or courageous to preach these things. It's just boring.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Trish's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,754x in 2,330 Posts
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really haven't gotten into the Marvel movies but I used to love to read the marvel comics.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,536x in 26,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite comic-based characters have always been the antihero types like Batman and Spawn, although the Spawn movie was pretty underwhelming. The HBO animated series of Spawn, however... sublime.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My grand-kids drag me to them. I've learned to like most of them.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 2,023
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Yes, Thor: Love and Thunder is reported to follow the comics storyline of Jane Foster assuming the mantle (and hammer) of Thor.

What didn't you like about Captain Marvel?
    Honestly? I absolutely loathe the actress, but I also think the character is kind of empty compared to others in the MCU. I did not get an impression of depth, and I find the character lacking in the charisma that generally makes you like many of the other heroes. Her back story also seems to be lacking. I think Wonder Woman came out around the same time? Captain Marvel was a genuine disappointment in comparison. I got about 2/3 of the way through, turned it off, and then had to turn it back on because I rented it and didn't want to waste $3.99 or whatever it was.

Guardians of the Galaxy and the Thor movies (along with the first two Ironman movies) were great because they had kind of a natural sense of humor and it makes you want to like the characters. They were all well cast, well-written.

It sort of felt like someone decided they needed a standalone female and just picked one out of obscurity. Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe I should rewatch it. I don't really want to, haha.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Honestly? I absolutely loathe the actress, but I also think the character is kind of empty compared to others in the MCU. I did not get an impression of depth, and I find the character lacking in the charisma that generally makes you like many of the other heroes. Her back story also seems to be lacking. I think Wonder Woman came out around the same time? Captain Marvel was a genuine disappointment in comparison. I got about 2/3 of the way through, turned it off, and then had to turn it back on because I rented it and didn't want to waste $3.99 or whatever it was.

Guardians of the Galaxy and the Thor movies (along with the first two Ironman movies) were great because they had kind of a natural sense of humor and it makes you want to like the characters. They were all well cast, well-written.

It sort of felt like someone decided they needed a standalone female and just picked one out of obscurity. Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe I should rewatch it. I don't really want to, haha.
    Captain Marvel was far from obscure, though. She has been around the MU for some time and has done well in the comics. Like practically all female characters in the comics, she's been drawn to maximize the drool factor with the adolescent contingent, but I'm afraid there's no way around that happening. I kind of feel like she may someday lead her own team in a film.

I'll admit I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with a live action She-Hulk.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    It's not that I don't care about them. I watch most of them. It's just that they're becoming increasingly formulaic, silly, and vacuous.

Which is unfortunate since I really liked some of the early entries in the superhero genre, like Ironman and Thor.

For me, the best superhero movies will always be the movies that contain complexity, nuance, and humanity. I find the evolution of movies in general to be upsetting. Less and less emphasis is being put on art with more and more emphasis on profits or political messaging. So many writers and directors today confuse preaching at their audience with art. I really do not need Hollywood to tell me that racism is bad or that homosexuals deserve equality. I already know that. I've known it for a LONG time. Most of society knows this. It's no longer subversive or original or courageous to preach these things. It's just boring.
    I very recently re-watched Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame, and I have to say I think there was enough complexity, nuance and humanity in those two films to satisfy anyone looking for those things. Just as one small example, Thanos wants to destroy half of humanity in order to create what he imagines will be a paradise on Earth for the survivors. He is not only absolutely committed to the idea, he's willing to die for it, and in places you almost find yourself feeling sympathy and understanding for someone who wants to murder trillions of sentient beings.

+ Reply to Thread