Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Private Messages

I am formally requesting the the Private Message function hereby be eliminated. Once more we see a member making public a private message. If this is allowable the entire reason for this type of communication is null and void. Since its obvious some members cannot keep private messages as they were intended, private then perhaps it should be eliminated in its entirety.

I would make an exception to messages that were of a threatening nature. Saying you are a bigot and a big dope is not threatening.

Thats my opinion at any rate

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,406x in 54,982 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I always thought posting private messages publicly was against the rules here and dealt with severely.

You can and should report threatening PMs to the mods/Admin.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 2,301
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,046x in 8,894 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The PM (mentioned in another thread) was not posted but just referenced by the member who received it, who was publicly making it known that the message was hateful and that they want no further PMs from the member who sent it. I don't know that this can be construed as quoting or summarizing, since the contents of the message were not disclosed. It may fall under "shared" in a general sense.

Rule 13.

As implied in the name, PM's (Private Messages) must be kept private. They are not to be shared, quoted or summarized on the public forum. If it is believed that a PM, or series of PMs, is over the line (threats, harassment, name-calling, etc.), the PM should be reported and moderators will decide when or how to act. Questions regarding if a decision has been made may be brought to moderators through PM. Posting PMs on the open forum will lead to infractions.
    Reporting the PM or advising the sender not to send any further PMs in a reply has been the traditional approach to these issues.

I don't think that in general there has been a great deal of abuse of the PM function or incidents of making them public on the forum and certainly not enough to justify the elimination of the PM function. It might be useful if PMs from specific members could be blocked, but I don't know if such a modification is possible in vbulletin or in this version of vbulletin.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

jet57 (07-26-2020)

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,249x in 12,375 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As I noted in the thread where all this happened, my personal view is that naming the author, the subject and the character (vile and disgusting, or whatever the words were) of the PM does constitute summarization. Just my opinion.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Captdon (07-26-2020)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,571x in 36,510 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    I am formally requesting the the Private Message function hereby be eliminated. Once more we see a member making public a private message. If this is allowable the entire reason for this type of communication is null and void. Since its obvious some members cannot keep private messages as they were intended, private then perhaps it should be eliminated in its entirety.

I would make an exception to messages that were of a threatening nature. Saying you are a bigot and a big dope is not threatening.

Thats my opinion at any rate
    What happened?
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    As I noted in the thread where all this happened, my personal view is that naming the author, the subject and the character (vile and disgusting, or whatever the words were) of the PM does constitute summarization. Just my opinion.
    I don't agree that characterization constitutes summarization. For instance, were I to post (in reply to a member) - "stop sending me hate mail", would that violate the spirit of rule 13? If I told you about a movie, starring (name actor) and stated that it was a great SF movie with lots of action, aliens, suspense and a great plot line, would that constitute a summary?
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,406x in 54,982 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I don't agree that characterization constitutes summarization. For instance, were I to post (in reply to a member) - "stop sending me hate mail", would that violate the spirit of rule 13? If I told you about a movie, starring (name actor) and stated that it was a great SF movie with lots of action, aliens, suspense and a great plot line, would that constitute a summary?
    Yes, "characterization" is summary and violates the rules. IMO, as I'm not a mod.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Captdon (07-26-2020)

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,249x in 12,375 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    It could. Some summaries are more detailed and comprehensive than others. In the end, I guess it would be a judgment call on the part of the Mods, but in my view it's just a little too close to being a violation to totally ignore.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Captdon (07-26-2020),nathanbforrest45 (07-26-2020)

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    It could. Some summaries are more detailed and comprehensive than others. In the end, I guess it would be a judgment call on the part of the Mods, but in my view it's just a little too close to being a violation to totally ignore.
    I agree that it is thin ice territory, however IMO, the distinction rests in the difference between the meanings of description versus summary. The member used certain adjectives to describe the PM received. Since the member did so via the quote function, the other member's identity and topic were transparent. The response was then picked up by other members and discussed, but at no point did I notice any specific content being discussed.

Mahatma Gandhi

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Yes, "characterization" is summary and violates the rules. IMO, as I'm not a mod.
    Characterization, in the sense that it is being used in this discussion, means "a description of the distinctive nature or features of someone or something." A summary, on the other hand is: "A brief statement or account of the main points of something".

They do not have the same meaning.

Mahatma Gandhi

Closed Thread