Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,639x in 3,469 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need some advice

Class will be starting up for my step daughter for her second year of college , she will be living on campus again this year, I want to get her a tablet as a gift something she can use her phone with and a android . im looking at a lot of brands and was thinking ABOUT SAMSUNG . Any suggesting on other brands ? she will be traveling a good bit this year within the usa and needs it for movies social media etc

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,470
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Perianne's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,534x in 1,379 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am all about Apple, so I can't help you there.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Perianne For This Useful Post:

bulletbob (07-29-2020)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I bought a Samsung tablet 5 or 6 years ago and it's been great, no complaints. I bought a keyboard case for it for when I need to type a lot.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

bulletbob (07-29-2020)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 2,012
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I am about to buy the Microsoft Surface Pro for school. Based on what I have reviewed (a lot of reviews, ugh) the iPad Pro and Surface Pro are the two best, but there are more affordable options that lack some of the features. Acer and Lenovo both make their own version of the iPad Pro and Surface Pro, also. The Samsung tablet was listed in the top 5 of everything that I looked at, but I was looking specifically for a note-taking tablet (handwritten) that can double as a laptop, so my reviews might be slightly different.

With both a Mac OS and a Microsoft OS, you can transfer everything to and from the cloud to whatever device. If she has an apple phone, then you may want to go Apple because their products tend to work better together. I will be using One Note on my phone, a large laptop and on the Surface Pro.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

bulletbob (07-29-2020)

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,885
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,662x in 28,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
    Class will be starting up for my step daughter for her second year of college , she will be living on campus again this year, I want to get her a tablet as a gift something she can use her phone with and a android . im looking at a lot of brands and was thinking ABOUT SAMSUNG . Any suggesting on other brands ? she will be traveling a good bit this year within the usa and needs it for movies social media etc
    Phones Don't really work with with Tablets. You will have to connect the data through a cloud to share the data or swicth out micro SD cards which is a pain.

Verizon has tablets that actually will act like your phone but they tie into your data/phone plan and I don't think you want that.

Your niece is like your daughter to you:
    If she has an Apple phone then she will want an Apple Tablet which is going to cost you. You can get a refurbished one at lower cost. Apple is a status product but it also works so easily for people that do not want to play around.

Your only niece or she already uses Android:
    Samsung S6 will make her happy and okay with it not being Apple or already has Android.
    Going back in forth between formats of Android and Apple for media is a hassle and slow.

She just one of my nieces:
    Lenova Yoga Smart Tab is a good lower cost option. Make sure you put antivirus/Internet Security software on it since it is China made and owned. I know companies that bought large numbers of these that they had to have returned from the field for security issues. They took care of it through virus/Internet Security software. Apparently it was a publicized issue.

She might be a future Mary Trump:
    Samsung Tab A for under $100 but only has an 8" screen

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing you have to decide before you take brand recommendations is what your budget is.
    Some tablets can get to almost 700.00

Decide the most you want to spend, then search in that range, any name you know should be fine..

Samsung, Microsoft, Lenova, asus, acer

Theres a myriad of other names but I have no clue what the quality

Set a maximum amount in youre head first, then search from there...

When you search you can go to Amazon and Newegg and read reviews and see what others say

Keep in mind some tablets can cost as much as a Laptop on sale
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,583x in 94,415 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an HP spectre - it is a laptop that can be separated from the keyboard and used as a tablet. So if she also needs a laptop that is something to look at. I got it for a good price on black Friday a couple of years ago, but regular price is a bit over high end tablets.

But like I said it is a full laptop that can be also used as a tablet- not a tablet with an add on keyboard.

The one thing it doesn't do - you can't write on the screen with a stylus, although there may be a more expensive version of the Spectre that does that. I would never use such a feature.
    Last edited by Peter1469; 07-28-2020 at 03:01 AM.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
    I love my Samsung Galaxy Tab II. I've had a number of tablets, including a iPad and the Samsung is by far my favorite. It will connect to Wi-Fi and it has Bluetooth so it should have everything she needs.

But -- buy her a high-memory micro card. I added a 500g mini card and that's where I store all my documents and books. That way, they're safe if anything happens to my tablet.

You're right, a tablet is a great gift for a college student.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No reservations about shelling over yet another $300 to the Chinese?

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,885
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,662x in 28,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    I am about to buy the Microsoft Surface Pro for school. Based on what I have reviewed (a lot of reviews, ugh) the iPad Pro and Surface Pro are the two best, but there are more affordable options that lack some of the features. Acer and Lenovo both make their own version of the iPad Pro and Surface Pro, also. The Samsung tablet was listed in the top 5 of everything that I looked at, but I was looking specifically for a note-taking tablet (handwritten) that can double as a laptop, so my reviews might be slightly different.

With both a Mac OS and a Microsoft OS, you can transfer everything to and from the cloud to whatever device. If she has an apple phone, then you may want to go Apple because their products tend to work better together. I will be using One Note on my phone, a large laptop and on the Surface Pro.
    This isn't about Bulletbob's question but the one thing that the Surface Pro was missing when I looked was the ability to add a data plan. It took a long time to get a reason but finally it was explained the browsers for Microsoft systems used cookies. Which means a tremendous amount of data is consumed, so even if you hook it up to a hotspot then it can be slow and will eat your data plan. That may not matter to you but I was in a lot of customer facilities where they were not going to allow me to hook into their WiFi. It was the only thing that made me go Apple. The Surface Pro is a great tablet.

I am not sure if that is still true or if they fixed when they dumped IE for the new Microsoft Edge.

+ Reply to Thread