mamooth's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,058x in 777 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Economists agree with Lormborg, who isn't a scientist or an economist. He's just a guy who makes money selling his preordained conclusions to those who want justification for their preordained conclusions, which he reached mainly by cherrypicking. His next biggest sin is his blind faith that some new magical technology will create carbon-free energy, so there's no need to do any hard work with present green energy.
    If a conservative makes an accusation, it's actually a confession.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,707x in 54,607 Posts
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mamooth View Post
    Economists agree with Lormborg, who isn't a scientist or an economist. He's just a guy who makes money selling his preordained conclusions to those who want justification for their preordained conclusions, which he reached mainly by cherrypicking. His next biggest sin is his blind faith that some new magical technology will create carbon-free energy, so there's no need to do any hard work with present green energy.

If you can't refute him, ad hom him. Yea, that's the ticket.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Sunsettommy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 915x in 540 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    That is his usual response, here is why Mr. Lomborg is credible:

Wikipedia

Education

Lomborg was an undergraduate at the University of Georgia, earned an M.A. degree in political science at the University of Aarhus in 1991, and a PhD degree in political science at the University of Copenhagen in 1994.

Career

Lomborg lectured in statistics in the Department of Political Science at the University of Aarhus as an assistant professor (1994–1996) and associate professor (1997–2005). He left the university in February 2005 and in May of that year became an adjunct professor in Policy-making, Scientific Knowledge and the Role of Experts at the Department of Management, Politics and Philosophy, Copenhagen Business School.[6]

Early in his career, his professional areas of interest lay in the simulation of strategies in collective action dilemmas, simulation of party behavior in proportional voting systems, and the use of surveys in public administration. In 1996, Lomborg's paper, "Nucleus and Shield: Evolution of Social Structure in the Iterated Prisoner's Dilemma", was published in the academic journal, American Sociological Review.[7]

Later, Lomborg's interests shifted to the use of statistics in the environmental arena. In 1998, Lomborg published four essays about the state of the environment in the leading Danish newspaper Politiken, which according to him "resulted in a firestorm debate spanning over 400 articles in major metropolitan newspapers."[8] This led to the Skeptical Environmentalist, whose English translation was published as a work in environmental economics by Cambridge University Press in 2001. He later edited Global Crises, Global Solutions, which presented the first conclusions of the Copenhagen Consensus, published in 2004 by the Cambridge University Press. In 2007, he authored a book entitled Cool It: The Skeptical Environmentalist's Guide to Global Warming.

In March 2002, the newly elected center-right prime minister, Anders Fogh Rasmussen, appointed Lomborg to run Denmark's new Environmental Assessment Institute (EAI). On 22 June 2004, Lomborg announced his decision to resign from this post to go back to the University of Aarhus,[9] saying his work at the Institute was done and that he could better serve the public debate from the academic sector.
    "Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again." Ronald Reagan

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunsettommy For This Useful Post:

Chris (08-27-2020)

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunsettommy View Post
    That is his usual response, here is why Mr. Lomborg is credible:

Wikipedia

Education

Lomborg was an undergraduate at the University of Georgia, earned an M.A. degree in political science at the University of Aarhus in 1991, and a PhD degree in political science at the University of Copenhagen in 1994.

Career

Lomborg lectured in statistics in the Department of Political Science at the University of Aarhus as an assistant professor (1994–1996) and associate professor (1997–2005). He left the university in February 2005 and in May of that year became an adjunct professor in Policy-making, Scientific Knowledge and the Role of Experts at the Department of Management, Politics and Philosophy, Copenhagen Business School.[6]

Early in his career, his professional areas of interest lay in the simulation of strategies in collective action dilemmas, simulation of party behavior in proportional voting systems, and the use of surveys in public administration. In 1996, Lomborg's paper, "Nucleus and Shield: Evolution of Social Structure in the Iterated Prisoner's Dilemma", was published in the academic journal, American Sociological Review.[7]

Later, Lomborg's interests shifted to the use of statistics in the environmental arena. In 1998, Lomborg published four essays about the state of the environment in the leading Danish newspaper Politiken, which according to him "resulted in a firestorm debate spanning over 400 articles in major metropolitan newspapers."[8] This led to the Skeptical Environmentalist, whose English translation was published as a work in environmental economics by Cambridge University Press in 2001. He later edited Global Crises, Global Solutions, which presented the first conclusions of the Copenhagen Consensus, published in 2004 by the Cambridge University Press. In 2007, he authored a book entitled Cool It: The Skeptical Environmentalist's Guide to Global Warming.

In March 2002, the newly elected center-right prime minister, Anders Fogh Rasmussen, appointed Lomborg to run Denmark's new Environmental Assessment Institute (EAI). On 22 June 2004, Lomborg announced his decision to resign from this post to go back to the University of Aarhus,[9] saying his work at the Institute was done and that he could better serve the public debate from the academic sector.

He's credible because his arguments are credible.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Sunsettommy (08-27-2020)

Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Sunsettommy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 915x in 540 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yawnnnnn, Zzzzz.....

Try a refutation instead of attacking the writer nonsense, you might have a case......?

But knowing YOU, it will not happen.
    "Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again." Ronald Reagan

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 277
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did refute him. And, as usual, that resulted in you evading-through-insults. Remember, I am not obligated to refute every sentence in your Gish Gallop. I just have to point out the general problem with it, and I did. And you clearly couldn't respond.

Here's a thought. You can try to actually back up your BS. Pick one point from Lormborg that you think is especially good. Explain it in your own words, to show that you understand it. Back it up with evidence. You know, debate like an adult, like a liberal, like I do.

Tommy, you can join in too. I do understand that if you can't cut and paste long propaganda screeds, you're totally helpless, but give it a try.

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 513
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,781x in 4,146 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did refute him. And, as usual, that resulted in you evading-through-insults. Remember, I am not obligated to refute every sentence in your Gish Gallop. I just have to point out the general problem with it, and I did. And you clearly couldn't respond.

Here's a thought. You can try to actually back up your BS. Pick one point from Lormborg that you think is especially good. Explain it in your own words, to show that you understand it. Back it up with evidence. You know, debate like an adult, like a liberal, like I do.

Tommy, you can join in too. I do understand that if you can't cut and paste long propaganda screeds, you're totally helpless, but give it a try.
    No, you didn't refute a single thing. You attempted to discount him, which was half-assed at best. You didn't prove a single thing he said was incorrect.

You can do better.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

Chris (08-27-2020),Sunsettommy (08-27-2020)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

You lie. Let me know when you post something rational.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (09-10-2020),Sunsettommy (08-27-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    No, you didn't refute a single thing. You attempted to discount him, which was half-assed at best. You didn't prove a single thing he said was incorrect.
    But he didn't say anything. That's the point. He did a cut-and-paste and declared it was correct. A Gish Gallop and Argument from Authority. I destroyed that.

The same challenge I made goes out to you. Find a point by Lormborg you think it good. State it in your own words. Back it up.

Rather than accept the challenge to debate, Chris cut and ran. Are you going to do the same?
    Last edited by mamooth; 08-27-2020 at 08:40 PM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You lie. Let me know when you post something rational.

When you start doing the pouting thing, everyone correctly takes that as your admission of surrender. And you always end up doing it.

Damn, I'm good. Not that you're any challenge. You can troll, you can deflect, you can cry about how mean I am, you can do Gish Gallops and Argument from Authority, but you never debate.

+ Reply to Thread