User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: “False Alarm” By Bjorn Lomborg

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,705x in 54,607 Posts
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mamooth View Post
    When you start doing the pouting thing, everyone correctly takes that as your admission of surrender. And you always end up doing it.

Damn, I'm good. Not that you're any challenge. You can troll, you can deflect, you can cry about how mean I am, you can do Gish Gallops and Argument from Authority, but you never debate.

Saying you lie is pouting and crying? That's whacked. Face it, you ad homed Lomborg and you got no argument. This is your white flag. Let me know when you have a rational argument with what Lomborg says.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Sunsettommy (08-27-2020)

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    But he didn't say anything. That's the point. He did a cut-and-paste and declared it was correct. A Gish Gallop and Argument from Authority. I destroyed that.

The same challenge I made goes out to you. Find a point by Lormborg you think it good. State it in your own words. Back it up.

Rather than accept the challenge to debate, Chris cut and ran. Are you going to do the same?

Collateral Damage is saying the same thing I said, that you failed to address any of Lomborg's message. Those points are found in the OP. And btw I'm still here and you're still lying.
    Last edited by Chris; 08-27-2020 at 08:56 PM.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (08-28-2020),Sunsettommy (08-27-2020)

Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Sunsettommy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 915x in 540 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Collateral Damage is saying the same thing I said, that you failed to address any of Lomborg's message. Those points are found in the OP. And btw I'm still here and you're still lying.

He never will post a counterpoint to a BOOK REVIEW or watch the video, his bigotry gets in the way, that is why he writes that way.

LOL
    "Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again." Ronald Reagan

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 513
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,781x in 4,146 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But he didn't say anything. That's the point. He did a cut-and-paste and declared it was correct. A Gish Gallop and Argument from Authority. I destroyed that.
    The same challenge I made goes out to you. Find a point by Lormborg you think it good. State it in your own words. Back it up.
    Rather than accept the challenge to debate, Chris cut and ran. Are you going to do the same?
    So saying nothing, is some how a viable response?

Wow, thinking you 'destroyed' something when you did not even address it must be a 'thing' now.

When I find something worth my time to provide, I will do so, and not at your 'command'.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

Sunsettommy (08-28-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did refute him. And, as usual, that resulted in you evading-through-insults. Remember, I am not obligated to refute every sentence in your Gish Gallop. I just have to point out the general problem with it, and I did. And you clearly couldn't respond.

Here's a thought. You can try to actually back up your BS. Pick one point from Lormborg that you think is especially good. Explain it in your own words, to show that you understand it. Back it up with evidence. You know, debate like an adult, like a liberal, like I do.

Tommy, you can join in too. I do understand that if you can't cut and paste long propaganda screeds, you're totally helpless, but give it a try.

I have waited for days for YOU to post this invisible "refutation" you claim you made, here is what YOU said, that YOU think is a refutation:

Economists agree with Lormborg, who isn't a scientist or an economist. He's just a guy who makes money selling his preordained conclusions to those who want justification for their preordained conclusions, which he reached mainly by cherrypicking. His next biggest sin is his blind faith that some new magical technology will create carbon-free energy, so there's no need to do any hard work with present green energy.
    This isn't a refutation, this is avoiding post one article content to push your usual argument from fallacies against him.

What YOU posted is an unsupported opinion.

Opinions are NOT refutations.

Where is your refutation?
    "Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again." Ronald Reagan

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 277
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mamooth's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,058x in 777 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunsettommy View Post
    What YOU posted is an unsupported opinion.
    In response to your totally unsupported opinions. That's what you're all crying about, me pointing out that everyone on your side here has jack. Obviously, you have no response to that.

I keep challenging all of you to debate the issues, over and over. In response, every single denier has run, crying about how mean I am to cover their tear-streaked retreat. So, same as always.

And obviously, I've always been able to post lots of stuff backing me up. You should have learned that about me by now. I was just waiting to see if anyone here had the guts to debate. You were all tested, and found wanting, as usual.

https://www.lse.ac.uk/granthaminstit...orgs-new-book/

https://sciencefeedback.co/evaluatio...treet-journal/

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php...erent-opinion/

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Bjørn_Lomborg

https://skepticalscience.com/Bjorn_Lomborg_blog.htm

So, by denier standards, I have more links than you, therefore I win. It must suck to have such dumb standards, deniers, but you chose them, not me, so you get to have them applied to you.

My challenge is still open. Pick one of his points that you think is good, state it in your own words, and we'll discuss it. But I know none of you will accept that challenge. You never have before, and you never will. You all don't debate, you regurgitate, and you're helpless if you can't regurgitate.
    Last edited by mamooth; 09-09-2020 at 08:36 PM.
    If a conservative makes an accusation, it's actually a confession.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    In response to your totally unsupported opinions. That's what you're all crying about, me pointing out that everyone on your side here has jack. Obviously, you have no response to that.

I keep challenging all of you to debate the issues, over and over. In response, every single denier has run, crying about how mean I am to cover their tear-streaked retreat. So, same as always.

And obviously, I've always been able to post lots of stuff backing me up. You should have learned that about me by now. I was just waiting to see if anyone here had the guts to debate. You were all tested, and found wanting, as usual.

https://www.lse.ac.uk/granthaminstit...orgs-new-book/

https://sciencefeedback.co/evaluatio...treet-journal/

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php...erent-opinion/

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Bjørn_Lomborg

https://skepticalscience.com/Bjorn_Lomborg_blog.htm

So, by denier standards, I have more links than you, therefore I win. It must suck to have such dumb standards, deniers, but you chose them, not me, so you get to have them applied to you.

My challenge is still open. Pick one of his points that you think is good, state it in your own words, and we'll discuss it. But I know none of you will accept that challenge. You never have before, and you never will. You all don't debate, you regurgitate, and you're helpless if you can't regurgitate.

What you posted is just more unsupported opinion.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you posted is just more unsupported opinion.
    Ha ha ha, he seems unable to realize that he NEVER addressed post one article content at all, just call him names, now he is bragging about a bunch of links, which doesn't discuss the content of post one article either.

His boasting is immature and useless here, but he doesn't seem to understand that.

Therefore post one article remains unchallenged.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunsettommy For This Useful Post:

Chris (09-09-2020)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,116x in 94,140 Posts
    Mentioned
    2547 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “False Alarm” By Bjorn Lomborg is a review of Lomberg's latest book.

Let us be clear here, Lomberg accepts climate change: "Lomborg is a 'lukewarmer'. He thinks global warming is real, man-made, and a serious problem, which can be and needs to be tackled." But he disagrees it's a crisis, disputes it's an existential risk.

Here's why in a nutshell:

Read more at link or watch video:

Interesting. I also consider myself a lukewarmist, although I think we are currently moving into a cooling period. What I would add to the text above is that scientific advances in fuels between now at 2100 will solve the problem. I have seen estimates that by 2100 at least 80% of the earth's energy needs will be provided by renewables.

And that doesn't even take into account the new and safe fission nuclear plants or the possibility that our current fusion tech will become commercially viable- yes, we have fusion reactors, but they currently need more energy than they produce. If they can fix that, it would be the Holy Grail of energy. Luckily there is currently a lot of new research into it for purposes of space travel.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Chris (09-10-2020)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,116x in 94,140 Posts
    Mentioned
    2547 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunsettommy View Post
    He is already hated by warmists the world over, his early book (2001) The Skeptical Environmentalists (I own the book) got him targeted by those who wants to consolidate power over the people.
    The Global Warming Alarmists actually hate the lukewarmists more than the "climate deniers" (stupid name).
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

+ Reply to Thread