User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nehemiah: A Study

Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,999
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteranRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience Points
    Calypso Jones's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,860x in 6,374 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nehemiah: A Study

Nehemiah 1
    New International Version

Nehemiah’s Prayer

1 The words of Nehemiah son of Hakaliah:
    In the month of Kislev in the twentieth year, while I was in the citadel of Susa,

2 Hanani, one of my brothers, came from Judah with some other men, and I questioned them about the Jewish remnant that had survived the exile, and also about Jerusalem.

3 They said to me, “Those who survived the exile and are back in the province are in great trouble and disgrace. The wall of Jerusalem is broken down, and its gates have been burned with fire.”

4 When I heard these things, I sat down and wept. For some days I mourned and fasted and prayed before the God of heaven.

5 Then I said: “Lord, the God of heaven, the great and awesome God, who keeps his covenant of love with those who love him and keep his commandments,

6 let your ear be attentive and your eyes open to hear the prayer your servant is praying before you day and night for your servants, the people of Israel. I confess the sins we Israelites, including myself and my father’s family, have committed against you.

7 We have acted very wickedly toward you. We have not obeyed the commands, decrees and laws you gave your servant Moses.

8 “Remember the instruction you gave your servant Moses, saying, ‘If you are unfaithful, I will scatter you among the nations,

9 but if you return to me and obey my commands, then even if your exiled people are at the farthest horizon, I will gather them from there and bring them to the place I have chosen as a dwelling for my Name.’

10 “They are your servants and your people, whom you redeemed by your great strength and your mighty hand.

11 Lord, let your ear be attentive to the prayer of this your servant and to the prayer of your servants who delight in revering your name. Give your servant success today by granting him favor in the presence of this man.”
    I was cupbearer to the king.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Calypso Jones For This Useful Post:

Jen (08-25-2020)

Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteranRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time Line of Daniel, Ezra and Nehemiah.

Nehemiah's story is more concerned with his return to Jerusalem. Nehemiah was taken into captivity as a young man and like Daniel and many other judites he was eunuchized for the king's service. It was the practice at the time. Like Daniel, Nehemiah did not go back to Jerusalem (3rd return) probably because of his 'condition'.

http://muncherian.com/ChronologyofEz...miahEsther.pdf

Finally his brother, actual brother came to him to tell him of the situation in Jerusalem.

http://truthmagazine.com/archives/vo...GOT028063.html
    Last edited by Calypso Jones; 08-27-2020 at 11:21 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Calypso Jones For This Useful Post:

Jen (08-27-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nehemiah was born during the time of the Babylonian Exile. Babylon had invaded Judah and taken Jews captive. Most notably were four young men named Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego. But it was many years—and battles—later before Nehemiah came on the scene. Daniel lived through the Babylonian reign and into the reign of the Persians. He was thrown into the lion’s den during the reign of Darius, king of Persia. During Daniel’s time, Jerusalem was invaded and destroyed. This sets the stage for the events of Nehemiah.Nehemiah worked for the Persian king name Artaxerxes. Nehemiah’s job was as the king’s cupbearer. This meant that he would test the food and drink for poison before it was served to the king. Nehemiah was essentially a bodyguard that spent much time with the king. Nehemiah and the king had such a personal relationship that the king knew when Nehemiah’s heart was troubled for the city of Jerusalem and for the safety of his people—the nation of Israel.

Read more: https://www.whatchristianswanttoknow...#ixzz6WTZvrl3g

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Calypso Jones For This Useful Post:

Jen (09-01-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Written @445 -432BC, Nehemiah although he had never seen Israel was very concerned about his homeland, the home of his ancestors, Jerusalem. This book begins with a little information regarding Nehemiah...his father Hacaliah/Hakaliah. His brother Hanani had come to visit him to tell him of the state of Jerusalem. The returning exiles had not rebuilt the temple, had not set up the walls. The walls were very important to these ancient cities. The wall meant security, safety, strength, protection. Nehemiah was very upset to hear this. Like Daniel, he was a praying man.

Like Daniel also, and other exiles, God had told them to be loyal to their masters who had conquered them. Do right by their conquerors and by the new country they were living in. Perhaps because of this obedience to God's instructions, they were successful.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Calypso Jones For This Useful Post:

Jen (09-01-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The important part of this book is Nehemiah's role in returning to Jerusalem and the rebuilding of the walls.

Nehemiah's brother, Hanani, comes to Susa..the Persian stronghold, one of the homes of the Persian kings..in this case...Artaxerxes 1, The son of Xerxes. THE Xerxes in the book of Esther. (Esther is not the mother of Artaxerxes) THE Xerxes that fought the Spartans for control of Greece and he was soundly defeated.

The news that Hanani brought to Nehemiah was very disturbing. The jewish remnant left in jerusalem after the 3 captivities, AND the returned exiles under the reign of Cyrus, HAD NOT rebuilt the walls around Jerusalem, nor the gates that had been burned by fire.
    Last edited by Calypso Jones; 09-01-2020 at 11:27 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Calypso Jones For This Useful Post:

Jen (09-01-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerusalem was in a state of shambles. Nehemiah spent much time in thought and prayer. His prayer is written in that first chapter of Nehemiah in case you missed it. I think it is awesome that the bible contains the prayers of these saints. It also contains the pronouncements of some kings...Cyrus for one, and Nebuchadnezzer.

Nehemiah's prayer:

Lord, the God of heaven, the great and awesome God, who keeps his covenant of love with those who love him and keep his commandments,

6 let your ear be attentive and your eyes open to hear the prayer your servant is praying before you day and night for your servants, the people of Israel. I confess the sins we Israelites, including myself and my father’s family, have committed against you. See this? We have all sinned in our own ways and that is why OUR NATION is in the trouble it is in. We have sinned along with popular opinion, we have ignored sin, our own sin. We have allowed evil people to take over this government and pass abominable laws. We are all guilty.

7 We have acted very wickedly toward you. We have not obeyed the commands, decrees and laws you gave your servant Moses.

8 “Remember the instruction you gave your servant Moses, saying, ‘If you are unfaithful, I will scatter you among the nations,

9 but if you return to me and obey my commands, then even if your exiled people are at the farthest horizon, I will gather them from there and bring them to the place I have chosen as a dwelling for my Name.’

10 “They are your servants and your people, whom you redeemed by your great strength and your mighty hand.

11 Lord, let your ear be attentive to the prayer of this your servant and to the prayer of your servants who delight in revering your name. Give your servant success today by granting him favor in the presence of this man.” Here also, Asking God to grant Nehemiah favor in the eyes of the king.

Nehemiah spent valuable time in prayer...the first thing that we should do in time of trouble. THEN he looked for ways that he could make the walls and gates happen.
    Last edited by Calypso Jones; 09-02-2020 at 10:12 AM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last sentence in chapter one says.
    'I was cupbearer to the king'. There were a number of cupbearers mentioned in the Bible.

What is a cupbearer??

Historically, a cupbearer was a high-ranking official in charge of serving the king. It was primarily the responsibility of a cupbearer to serve the wine to the royal table. Since kings were concerned about plots to poison them, cupbearers had to guard the cup carefully and would sometimes taste the drink before serving it to ensure it was safe. Due to the responsibilities of the position, a cupbearer had to be trustworthy and loyal. A cupbearer had the king’s confidence and because of his character was able to exert influence in the royal court.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1Now in the month of Nisan,a in the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes, when wine was set before him, I took the wine and gave it to the king. I had never been sad in his presence,

2so the king said to me, “Why is your face sad, though you are not ill? This could only be sadness of the heart.”
    I was overwhelmed with fear (their relationship was so good that the king noticed that Nehemiah was not his usual self. )

3and replied to the king, “May the king live forever! Why should I not be sad when the city where my fathers are buried lies in ruins, and its gates have been destroyed by fire?”
    4“What is your request?” replied the king.So I prayed to the God of heaven

5and answered the king, “If it pleases the king, and if your servant has found favor in your sight, I ask that you send me to Judah, to the city where my fathers are buried, so that I may rebuild it.”

6Then the king, with the queen seated beside him, asked me, “How long will your journey take, and when will you return?” So it pleased the king to send me, and I set a time.

7I also said to him, “If it pleases the king, may letters be given to me for the governors west of the Euphrates,b so that they will grant me safe passage until I reach Judah.

8And may I have a letter to Asaph, keeper of the king’s forest, so that he will give me timber to make beams for the gates of the citadel to the temple, for the city wall, and for the house I will occupy.”
    And because the gracious hand of my God was upon me, the king granted my requests.

9Then I went to the governors west of the Euphrates and gave them the king’s letters. The king had also sent army officers and cavalry with me.

10But when Sanballat the Horonite and Tobiah the Ammonite official heard about this, they were deeply disturbed that someone had come to seek the well-being of the Israelites. (It took Nehemiah and his company 4 months to travel to Jerusalem from Susa)
    11After I had arrived in Jerusalem and had been there three days,

12I set out at night with a few men. I did not tell anyone what my God had laid on my heart to do for Jerusalem. The only animal with me was the one on which I was riding.

13So I went out at night through the Valley Gate toward the Well of the Serpentc and the Dung Gate, and I inspected the walls of Jerusalem that had been broken down and the gates that had been destroyed by fire.

14Then I went on to the Fountain Gate and the King’s Pool, but there was no room for the animal under me to get through;

15so I went up the valley by night and inspected the wall. Then I headed back and reentered through the Valley Gate.

16The officials did not know where I had gone or what I was doing, for I had not yet told the Jews or priests or nobles or officials or any other workers.

17Then I said to them, “You see the trouble we are in. Jerusalem lies in ruins, and its gates have been burned down. Come, let us rebuild the wall of Jerusalem, so that we will no longer be a disgrace.”

18I also told them about the gracious hand of my God upon me, and what the king had said to me.“Let us start rebuilding,” they replied, and they set their hands to this good work.

19But when Sanballat the Horonite, Tobiah the Ammonite official, and Geshem the Arab heard about this, they mocked us and ridiculed us, saying, “What is this you are doing? Are you rebelling against the king?”

20So I answered them and said, “The God of heaven is the One who will grant us success. We, His servants, will start rebuilding, but you have no portion, right, or claim in Jerusalem. (Note he did not tell them that the king had given him permission to rebuild) (note also the italicized and larger font)

Footnotes:

1 a Nisan  is the first month of the Hebrew lunar calendar, usually occurring within the months of March and April.
    Last edited by Calypso Jones; 09-02-2020 at 10:20 AM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back up a second here. After the death of Solomon which ended the 120 Golden Age of Israel, Rehoboam, Solomon's son became king.

Solomon had forgotten to listen to God, he forgot to honor his vows to God, so God raised up a problem for Solomon by the name of Jeroboam, who finally had to flee to Egypt to escape Solomon's wrath.

At Rehoboam's ascension to the throne, Jeroboam returned and the people stood before Rehoboam and said in effect, 'Ease up on us unlike your father and we will follow you as our King'. Rehoboam eschewed the advice of his elder advisors and listened to the advice of the young men he grew up with. Rehoboam said, in effect, 'my father ruled you with whips, i will rule you with scorpions'.

And so the people said, 'Then go home and tend to your own home and we will do the same.'

Rehoboam made a hasty retreat back to jerusalem in what became known as Judah. Two tribes Judah and Benjamin. The other ten tribes became Israel. Israel in the North, Judah in the south. Israel had mostly wicked kings from that point on and fell before Judah. The jews were called Jews because they were from JUdah.

First time the Jews returned under Zarubabbel in the time of Daniel. Then Ezra, Then Nehemiah.

Zerubbabel led the people in the reigns of the Persian kings Cyrus and Darius.

Ezra and Nehemiah were leaders in the reign of Artaxerxes.

The return of the exiles to Judah, and the rebuilding of Jerusalem, was accomplished in three main stages.
    • The first and main party returns with Zerubbabel 538 BC.
      They rebuild the temple.
    • A second party returns with Ezra about 80 years later.
      They make spiritual and religious restoration and reform.
    • A third wave returns with Nehemiah in 445 BC.
      They rebuild the city walls and gates but not many houses.
    When Zerubbabel led the first party of exiles back to Jerusalem, the first thing they rebuilt was the altar so that worship and sacrifice could begin again. They also managed to lay the foundations for a new temple.

There were mixed feelings. Some sang for joy at this beginning, but the old men who had seen the former temple wept loudly. ( I think perhaps they were crying because they remembered the splendor of the
    former temple.)
    Last edited by Calypso Jones; 09-07-2020 at 02:16 PM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chapter 2. Nehemiah was serving the king and queen their wine. The king noticed the sad face of nehemiah and questioned him about his countenance. NOTE that Nehemiah made a quick, silent, spontaneous prayer....and probably not one that anyone could hear and so fast that no one would probably have noticed.

He prayed BETWEEN the king asking him what his request was and Nehemiah's answer.

+ Reply to Thread