Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,244x in 949 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Three Components of my Identity

In this nanoessay I present the three major components of my identity. Almost all my opinions and behaviors are based on these components.

My Ethnicity and Religion are Jewish. I am a Conservadox Jew by observance. An Orthodox Jew would not be part of rude arguments on Social Media. A Conservadox Jew can be on Social Media 24/6 but not 24/7 -- we observe Sabbath. In USA I have experienced almost no anti-Semitism. That was fashionable in much of Western World prior to the horrors of WWII, but now open racism is not accepted. Most racists are deservedly treated as Enemies of People.

My Gender is male. In Modern Western Society, discrimination against men is very severe and acceptable. Male victims of Domestic Violence are generally arrested even if they have severe injuries. That happens even when their female partner was the only one using force. Sometimes they are treated for their injuries in a jail infirmary. Men accused of Sexual Misconduct are presumed guilty. Their careers and lives are destroyed based on an uninvestigated tweeted accusation. In the Media men are portrayed as evil oppressors. It should be obvious that demonizing any birth group is evil. Unfortunately, Modern Western Society finds demonization of men not only acceptable but virtuous. Anyone who shows any empathy toward men as a class is ostracized by Society. Most women and even most men believe that discrimination against men is fair and acceptable. I am grateful to truly humane women who defend male victims of abuse and discrimination.

My Disability is Moderate Asperger's Syndrome and Moderate Depression. I am proud of my condition and it is a very important part of who I am. In USA there are 44 million people with Mental Disability including 10 million people with Severe Mental Disability. Many angry taxpayers oppose Welfare. They do not want to pay high taxes. They do not believe Millionaires and Billionaires should pay high taxes either. As a result, in USA, most people who can not support themselves get very little help. According to Wikipedia, 27 million people in USA have no health insurance, 43 million people in USA live in poverty, and 1.6 million people in USA are homeless. In USA, many people with Mental Disability are incarcerated. In 2012, US prisons and jails housed 356,268 inmates with Severe Mental Disability. Many people with Severe Depression or with physical ailments become addicted to drugs. In USA there are tens of thousands of drug overdose fatalities per year. Most of these tragedies could be averted if everyone had a right to food, housing, and medical treatment. In Canada and Scandinavia, people who need help are helped.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CCitizen For This Useful Post:

Jen (08-27-2020),midcan5 (08-27-2020),zelmo1234 (08-28-2020)

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    TheOneOnly2's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 213x in 161 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suffer with the invisible disability of dyslexia so even though I am disabled I am not accepted by the disability community which can be tough. As a disabled man I try very hard not to allow my disability to define me because I don't think its healthy to do so. I try to focus on what I can do despite my dyslexia. Do you really think that it is healthy for your disability to define you? To be proud of it?

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheOneOnly2 For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (08-27-2020),CCitizen (08-27-2020),DGUtley (08-27-2020),Jen (08-27-2020),midcan5 (08-27-2020)

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CCitizen's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneOnly2 View Post
    I suffer with the invisible disability of dyslexia so even though I am disabled I am not accepted by the disability community which can be tough. As a disabled man I try very hard not to allow my disability to define me because I don't think its healthy to do so. I try to focus on what I can do despite my dyslexia.
    Thank you for sharing. I have great respect for people who have overcome great difficulties and achieved success through extraordinary will power.

But I have Disability and ordinary will power.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CCitizen For This Useful Post:

TheOneOnly2 (08-27-2020)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,041x in 24,875 Posts
    Mentioned
    887 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CCitizen View Post
    . . . .My Disability is Moderate Asperger's Syndrome and Moderate Depression. I am proud of my condition and it is a very important part of who I am. In USA there are 44 million people with Mental Disability including 10 million people with Severe Mental Disability. Many angry taxpayers oppose Welfare. They do not want to pay high taxes. They do not believe Millionaires and Billionaires should pay high taxes either. As a result, in USA, most people who can not support themselves get very little help. According to Wikipedia, 27 million people in USA have no health insurance, 43 million people in USA live in poverty, and 1.6 million people in USA are homeless. In USA, many people with Mental Disability are incarcerated. In 2012, US prisons and jails housed 356,268 inmates with Severe Mental Disability. Many people with Severe Depression or with physical ailments become addicted to drugs. In USA there are tens of thousands of drug overdose fatalities per year. Most of these tragedies could be averted if everyone had a right to food, housing, and medical treatment. In Canada and Scandinavia, people who need help are helped.
    I don't think that taxpayers are angry and I don't think that many necessarily oppose Welfare for disabled. Yes, we don't want to pay high taxes - and why should we, the government wastes so much of our money. Millionaires and Billionaires already pay high taxes - why should they pay even more. The USA has a tremendous safety net but it's never enough. We have Medicaid for medical care. We have food and housing assistance. We have phone and technology assistance. Imagine, if you will, how much help you could get if we didn't give welfare to those that can support themselves but just won't. Personally, I think we have a moral obligation to help those that cannot help themselves. We also have a tremendous charitable network like Catholic Charities etc. I don't know whether you avail yourselves of these programs or not.

Playing devil's advocate only - let me ask you something: I work 65-70 hours a week 51 weeks out of the year. i don't sit in my basement playing video games. Why do you feel that you are entitled to a portion of my income? I'm only asking from a devil's advocate standpoint and because I'm curious. Again, remember, I believe we have a moral authority to provide it; but, I'm curious as to why you feel you are entitled to it.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

CCitizen (08-27-2020),Cotton1 (09-09-2020),Standing Wolf (08-28-2020),TheOneOnly2 (08-27-2020),zelmo1234 (08-28-2020)

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,885
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,663x in 28,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for sharing. I have great respect for people who have overcome great difficulties and achieved success through extraordinary will power.

We also only have your word for it. You could be in it for a free ride. As you get older you will see more and more people unwilling to join society for reasons ranging from fear to laziness.

So I do not have a reason to believe that you are being dishonest but have you considered what you can do to change your situation. (Example: Learn computer programming and contract out your services) I worked with a deaf programmer on a large program to computerize all our manufacturing data in the 1980s. He was legally deaf. He used his advantage to his advantage. After I told him what I wanted and walked away he would turn his hearing aid back on.

Your grandparents are unfortunately not going to be able to take care of you forever. What are you going to do when they cannot?

Your disability certainly does not seem to include your ability to think, write or contribute.
    Last edited by carolina73; 08-27-2020 at 03:53 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

John Galt (08-27-2020)

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    TheOneOnly2's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 213x in 161 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh I haven't achieved any success just yet but I have achieved some small things - like I managed to finish the book Moby Dick for example. You have no idea how long it took me to read that book due to my slow reading pace caused by my dyslexia.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TheOneOnly2 For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (09-09-2020)

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 798
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,497x in 1,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Components of my Identity

What matters. I was first born. Tall enough. Smart enough. Successful in life and work. No religion. Husband, Kids, grandkids, love the open road. Private. Do it yourselfer, bicyclist, great driver, reader, writer, technician, problem solver, photographer, manager, bad listener - shut up I heard you long ago. Patience I lack, my only fault? I'm sure I could add more and my wife of more years than most of you have lived would agree but that may sound like bragging. lol

As my wife just walked by I asked her: "compassionate, loyal, giving, thoughtful, ready to help, think of others." I missed charitable but my wife got it. Just thought of another, when I was in the military one soldier called me the critic. Fits I guess. As the First Lady says, 'be best'. Oh, does good looking count? Had to add that although time is....

My wife again, "interesting and I know a little about a lot, smart aleck"... Is that good....

Come on guys have fun stop whining and assuming..... tell us how you define yourself, be honest. Ask some one who knows you and listen.

"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are." Joseph Campbell
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midcan5 For This Useful Post:

CCitizen (08-27-2020),DGUtley (08-27-2020)

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    John Galt's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,137x in 1,724 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Canada and Scandinavia, people who need help are helped.
    What are their military budgets?

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,885
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,663x in 28,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    What are their military budgets?

And he probably has not been there if he believes that fairy tale. I lived in Europe. Scandinavia has over half of their population on anti-depressants. They have a permanent underclass of about 6% throughout Europe that the government has just given up on. They make a decent wage but the government takes a large amount of it back. They have private insurance for a reason in almost every EU country. In the UK you get it with every good job. If you live in FL, Texas and other tax free states then you keep more than your Scandinavian cousins.

Nothing is for free. The grass is always greener on the other side until you find out it was just spray painted.

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CCitizen's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    let me ask you something: I work 65-70 hours a week 51 weeks out of the year. i don't sit in my basement playing video games. Why do you feel that you are entitled to a portion of my income? I'm only asking from a devil's advocate standpoint and because I'm curious. Again, remember, I believe we have a moral authority to provide it; but, I'm curious as to why you feel you are entitled to it.
    I have great respect for people who really work. For me, working 8 hours per week is a norm, and 23 hours in one week is a record.

Unfortunately, in USA, hundreds of thousands of disabled people do die each year due to lack of support -- mainly medicine.

+ Reply to Thread