Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 227x in 184 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best Pet Products

I have found a few products that were surprisingly effective or successful.

1) The Furminator undercoat brush. WOW!!! Super effective. If you have a pet that is a real shedder this is what you want. They have them for dogs and cats and for different lengths of fur and hair.
    http://www.furminator.com/

2) Calming Collars. Again, WOW!!!! Not always effective, it seems to depend on the cat. But we had a serious problem cat who was so aggressive towards the other cats that he was going to have to go. But we [my x and I] put a calming collar on him and the effects were obvious in about a minute. In ten minutes he was a different cat. They have them for dogs and cats. But you want to be sure they are made from the synthesized hormone, and not herbal products.

They are particularly useful for short periods of time. If you move, or if there is some stress source like being alone, or just to help change the behavior of a problem cat, for any number of problems like peeing, destruction of property, attacking other cats... There is hope.

They have diffusers, as shown below, as well as collars [like a flea collar]. I recommend the collars.
    3) Glucosamine with chondroitin
    I have seen two animals brought back from near total incapacitation due to arthritis or joint injuries, back to a nearly normal life. My one cat is a prime example. She was limping very badly. But after a couple of months of glucosamine, the limp was almost completely gone.

4) Cat Grass - my cats LOVE it!!! They are indoor-only cats.

And now the two best toys I have ever discovered for cats.

5) Sheets of paper
    6) Small boxes.
    Yes, I buy a toy and they like the box better than the toy! LOL!
    Last edited by TrueAmerican; 08-30-2020 at 09:39 PM.
    I'm ditching tPF. This is nothing but a right wing crackpot troll farm.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TrueAmerican For This Useful Post:

pragmatic (08-30-2020)

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 2,237
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,261x in 12,384 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That brush looks like what my wife uses on our dog Gemma. Gemma is mostly AmStaff, but she's a quarter GSD, and those genes have given her a very thick coat which needs constant brushing to get the excess fur out. She really seems to enjoy the brushing; I think she'd stand still for it for an hour if someone were to do it that long.

We've tried various types and brands of cat grass and none of our cats shows any interest in it.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

TrueAmerican (08-31-2020)

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,275
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,049x in 8,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    That brush looks like what my wife uses on our dog Gemma. Gemma is mostly AmStaff, but she's a quarter GSD, and those genes have given her a very thick coat which needs constant brushing to get the excess fur out. She really seems to enjoy the brushing; I think she'd stand still for it for an hour if someone were to do it that long.

We've tried various types and brands of cat grass and none of our cats shows any interest in it.
    There is no such thing as "cat grass" - that's just a marketing ploy to sell you regular grass that hasn't been sprayed with pesticides, for more money. For probably less than what it costs to buy cat grass you can buy a small bag of mixed lawn seed, put soil in one of those millions of containers that you get meat, prepared foods or baked goods in from your grocers - or use a margarine container, add seeds, add water. Put in a sunny window and wait. Perhaps with mixed seeds, there may be a variety in the mix that your cat likes. If not, the seeds can be used on your lawn. Note: stick to mixtures that have softer grasses, since the tougher ones can bother their tongues.
    Last edited by Dr. Who; 08-31-2020 at 12:32 AM.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Standing Wolf (08-31-2020),TrueAmerican (08-31-2020)

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 350
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    pragmatic's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,755x in 1,200 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueAmerican View Post

1) The Furminator undercoat brush. WOW!!! Super effective. If you have a pet that is a real shedder this is what you want. They have them for dogs and cats and for different lengths of fur and hair.

2) Calming Collars. Again, WOW!!!! Not always effective, it seems to depend on the cat. But we had a serious problem cat who was so aggressive towards the other cats that he was going to have to go. But we [my x and I] put a calming collar on him and the effects were obvious in about a minute. In ten minutes he was a different cat. They have them for dogs and cats. But you want to be sure they are made from the synthesized hormone, and not herbal products.

They are particularly useful for short periods of time. If you move, or if there is some stress source like being alone, or just to help change the behavior of a problem cat, for any number of problems like peeing, destruction of property, attacking other cats... There is hope.

They have diffusers, as shown below, as well as collars [like a flea collar]. I recommend the collars.
    I have seen two animals brought back from near total incapacitation due to arthritis or joint injuries, back to a nearly normal life. My one cat is a prime example. She was limping very badly. But after a couple of months of glucosamine, the limp was almost completely gone.

5) Sheets of paper
    6) Small boxes.
    Those brushes are pretty wonderful. They do an amazing job.

Another dog item we have is the "ThunderShirt". Sort of clever whoever came up with the name. For some dogs it will calm them during thunderstorms. My dog (Lucy) is terrified of thunder...but unfortunately the thundershirt didn't do squat to settle her down any.

https://thundershirt.com/

Last edited by pragmatic; 08-30-2020 at 11:47 PM.

Volvo

“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pragmatic For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 503
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    TrueAmerican's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 227x in 184 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    There is no such thing as "cat grass" - that's just a marketing ploy to sell you regular grass that hasn't been sprayed with pesticides, for more money. For probably less than what it costs to buy cat grass you can buy a small bag of mixed lawn seed, put soil in one of those millions of containers that you get meat, prepared foods or baked goods in from your grocers - or use a margarine container, add seeds, add water. Put in a sunny window and wait. Perhaps with mixed seeds, there may be a variety in the mix that your cat likes. If not, the seeds can be used on your lawn.
    Yes, it is marked as wheatgrass right on the front. But it was easier to just buy and try it, than to mess with trying to grow my own for a test. But it says you can water it twice a week and it will continue to grow. So I'm hoping that with two I can just rotate back and forth. But boy, my one cat munched all the grass in a couple of days. She seems to crave it now.
    I'm ditching tPF. This is nothing but a right wing crackpot troll farm.

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,275
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,049x in 8,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it is marked as wheatgrass right on the front. But it was easier to just buy and try it, than to mess with trying to grow my own for a test. But it says you can water it twice a week and it will continue to grow. So I'm hoping that with two I can just rotate back and forth. But boy, my one cat munched all the grass in a couple of days. She seems to crave it now.
    Cats use grass as a digestive aid. She's probably got a hairball she's trying to get rid of if she's guzzling the grass. You could give her a little malt paste to help her pass that hairball, since she's probably constipated.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, it's usually wheatgrass and cats like it when it's young and tender--it's soft and supple.

I have two large Furminators for our dogs and I wouldn't use anything else! They are amazing!
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 722
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial10000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class
    Jen's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,982x in 1,512 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5) Sheets of paper
    6) Small boxes.

Another good cat toy: a paper bag.
    They always claim the Chewy box their stuff comes in.

This post was helpful. Thanks.
    WWG1WGA

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jen For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread