Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    I really like Elementary. Miller executed it just like a recovering junkie would behave...and DAMN!!! Lui has some fine leg
    She is a strange bird. She had a child entirely by artificial insemination. No partner involved and she is raising the child entirely on her own.

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 860
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    The two best Sherlock Holmes were Basil Rathbone and Jonny Lee Miller although they played them 180 degrees apart. Rathbone's Holmes was a urbane and sophisticated sleuth who used his wits to solve crimes. Miller was a totally unlikable persona who also used his superior intellect and research to solve crimes. I liked his quirkiness and his rather unusual wardrobe. Watson under Rathbone was almost a boob who was more of a foil then an assistant. Joan Watson was eventually close to Sherlock's intellect but to me came across as a transgender Asian!

Its hard to believe that Jonny Lee Miller was once married to Angelina Jolie.
    Miller's character was socially inept and (ironically) clueless almost to the point of being autistic. In my opinion the writers took Holmes' innate antisocial nature too far in that version.

Hugh Laurie's character in 'House' was really supposed to be Sherlock, and his best friend Wilson a stand-in for Watson.

If you haven't seen Jeremy Brett in any of the BBC episodes that he starred in, do try to find them. I believe his S.H. was just right.

J. L. Miller and Benedict Cumberbatch starred in a play based on 'Frankenstein' in which they played the Doctor and the Monster in alternating scenes. I've just recently learned that it was filmed in 2011, and I'm going to have to find a copy of that.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 1,054
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,263x in 20,294 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    She is a strange bird. She had a child entirely by artificial insemination. No partner involved and she is raising the child entirely on her own.
    Elementary was one of the few series that actually concluded. The writers did a good job with the way it ended. I watched it because Miller was actually pretty good.
    Lots of people are odd birds. But I didn't watch it because of her.......but it doesn't change the fact that that gal has nice legs. I suspect that is why she got hired
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There was a very popular writer of swashbucking adventure stories in the 1920s named Rafael Sabatini. Two of his bestselling novels were 'Captain Blood' and 'The Sea Hawk'.

'Captain Blood' became the star-making vehicle for a young Australian-born actor named Errol Flynn in 1935. (Flynn's ill-fated son Sean, who never really wanted to be an actor but who would occasionally agree to be in a movie in order to finance his other ventures and interests, starred in a Spanish-Italian film in 1962 called The Son of Captain Blood, and played Zorro the following year.)

'The Sea Hawk' was made into a silent film in 1924 starring a now-largely forgotten actor named Milton Sills, but a later version of the story, filmed in 1940, starred Errol Flynn. And of course Flynn was one of the screen's most memorable Robin Hoods.

Another of Sabatini's best selling novels was 'Scaramouche', made into a film in 1952 starring Stewart Granger. Granger also appeared in movies as H. Rider Haggard's hero Allan Quatermain in one of the many film versions of King Solomon's Mines, as Rudolf Rassendyll in The Prisoner of Zenda, and as Sherlock Holmes in a 1972 t.v. movie version of The Hound of the Baskervilles.

Which reminds me - Roger Moore, in addition to playing James Bond, also starred as Sherlock Holmes in a 1976 t.v. movie, Sherlock Holmes in New York, and much earlier in his career as Simon Templar, "The Saint", and as Ivanhoe.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Private Pickle (09-04-2020)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,268
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Hal Jordan's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,795x in 4,453 Posts
    Mentioned
    582 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Private Pickle View Post
    Hmmm. We can look at more recent actors and the superhero genre. There are tons of them.

Ben Afleck played DareDevil and Batman.

Chris Evans played the fire guy in Fantastic 4 and Captain America

Tommy Lee Jones played Two Face and MIB (Although that may be a stretch comparison)

Ryan Reynolds played DeadPool and The Green Lantern
    MiB shouldn't be considered a stretch. It is based on a comic book.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
    "For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'." John Greenleaf Whittier

"Our minds control our bodies. Our bodies control our enemies. Our enemies control jack shit by the time we're done with them." Stick

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal Jordan For This Useful Post:

Private Pickle (09-04-2020)

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    582 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Miller's character was socially inept and (ironically) clueless almost to the point of being autistic. In my opinion the writers took Holmes' innate antisocial nature too far in that version.

Hugh Laurie's character in 'House' was really supposed to be Sherlock, and his best friend Wilson a stand-in for Watson.

If you haven't seen Jeremy Brett in any of the BBC episodes that he starred in, do try to find them. I believe his S.H. was just right.

J. L. Miller and Benedict Cumberbatch starred in a play based on 'Frankenstein' in which they played the Doctor and the Monster in alternating scenes. I've just recently learned that it was filmed in 2011, and I'm going to have to find a copy of that.
    I'd say Wilson was only part of Watson there. The team was the rest of Watson.

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'." John Greenleaf Whittier

"Our minds control our bodies. Our bodies control our enemies. Our enemies control jack shit by the time we're done with them." Stick

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal Jordan For This Useful Post:

Standing Wolf (09-04-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal Jordan View Post
    I'd say Wilson was only part of Watson there. The team was the rest of Watson.
    True enough. With House it's also interesting that in a sense the character came full-circle from doctor to consulting detective and back to doctor, since as I'm sure you know Conan Doyle based the character, with his amazing ability to discern pertinent facts from seemingly insignificant things, on one of his instructors in medical school, Dr. Joseph Bell.

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    582 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    True enough. With House it's also interesting that in a sense the character came full-circle from doctor to consulting detective and back to doctor, since as I'm sure you know Conan Doyle based the character, with his amazing ability to discern pertinent facts from seemingly insignificant things, on one of his instructors in medical school, Dr. Joseph Bell.

Yes, I thought that interesting as well. Medical dramas don't typically interest me, but I've watched through House a couple of times. Hugh Laurie did a fantastic job.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, I thought that interesting as well. Medical dramas don't typically interest me, but I've watched through House a couple of times. Hugh Laurie did a fantastic job.
    When my son graduated from medical school I gave him the entire series on DVD and a portable player.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Hal Jordan (09-04-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    MiB shouldn't be considered a stretch. It is based on a comic book.
    There are so many t.v. series and films being made from comics these days - I've actually begun watching a couple of series without any idea that they were based on a comic. 'The Boys' and 'Umbrella Academy' come to mind. (What really came as a shock is when I realized that the actor playing The Homelander in 'The Boys', that super-powered homicidal psycho, was Antony Starr from my all-time second favorite show, 'Banshee'.)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Hal Jordan (09-04-2020)

+ Reply to Thread