Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,650x in 28,240 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    I have had two wolf dogs. Asia passed a few years back due to old age. She was constantly challenging the wife for the number two position in our "pack" but never challenged me.
    I read up and studied about wolves before I got her. I understood the rules of "packing" and their social ordering.
    Now, we have Boomer who is 17% wolf. It is the borderline for "domesticating" behavior. He is house broken and listens. He was actually easier to house break.
    Never hit a wolf dog. A male voice has more control over them because of the deep male tones. If I am displeased with him, I simply ignore him until he comes around and "apologizes." If I am really pissed, I growl and give that "look" to quit. He reads my face very well and that would be the dog part of him, and he translates it to his wolf side. He is vey well behaved until strangers show up, then all he wants to do is take their measure by trying to play with them. Neither of my wolves ever bit anyone, but have gotten ugly when a stray dog wanders too close to his/the pack's territory. He is timber wolf and Husky mix.
    You cannot exhibit fear, but dominance. And he is an inside animal. To him, this is normal pack behavior and he accepts it.
    Since we live in the country, he spends a great deal of time outside. (We have a Petsafe Wireless fence and he wont leave the yard even when we take the collar off) This is his home, and he knows it.
    Now for the real treat. The local coyote wont wander near the house because they fear wolves.
    We've had lots of dogs, but the older wolf (now passed) and now this one, will curl up around my feet. The others favored the wife.
    I have to laugh when my wife tries to instruct the dog. She complained that she (the dog) only listens to me. So when she now instructs her, she does it in this deep satanic like voice. I expect my wife to start floating off the ground when I hear her do this.
    It's really embarrassing when she does it in the golf cart to keep our dog from getting aggressive with other dogs, on the side of the road that she randomly chooses not to like.

But it works and she was a Cesar fan so I assume that is where she learned it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

Perianne (09-07-2020),stjames1_53 (09-07-2020)

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Manny Decker's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 289x in 195 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    They know when we are sick, scared, sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    I have to laugh when my wife tries to instruct the dog. She complained that she (the dog) only listens to me. So when she now instructs her, she does it in this deep satanic like voice. I expect my wife to start floating off the ground when I hear her do this.
    It's really embarrassing when she does it in the golf cart to keep our dog from getting aggressive with other dogs, on the side of the road that she randomly chooses not to like.

But it works and she was a Cesar fan so I assume that is where she learned it.
    Yes that’s exactly what my wife does, my dogs enjoy playing raggy together on knotted nylon rope, when she sees they have had enough but too stubborn to let go she shouts “LEAVE” in the same style as I do... a deep “LEAVE” it works, they stop playing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Manny Decker For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (09-07-2020)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Here's my dog. Found him on the side of the road. He's a little bitey, but fine otherwise. Tried to find his owner but never did. I'm sure he will settle down any day now.

Looks like a coyote.

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial10000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class
    Jen's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,729x in 1,399 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    Looks like a coyote.
    It is. No wonder he's a tad feral, huh.
    WWG1WGA

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jen For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (09-07-2020)

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 879
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I sometimes see coyotes trotting along the sidewalk in my neighborhood, acting casual. I swear they've even got the traffic lights figured out. I believe they think that WE think they're just dogs if they act like they belong here and know what they're doing.

+ Reply to Thread