Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
Nova Scotia woman trying to stop husband from medically assisted death, denied stay motion - CBC

I opted to place this in here because it seems more of an ethical and philosophical discussion. Let's try to have a civil discussion. Please read the article.

Under Canadian law (legislation stemming from a Supreme Court ruling based on Constitution), medically assisted in dying (MAID) is the man's constitutional right. He expressed it. His wife is saying she is morally opposed and fighting to keep him from being able to do it. The longer she fights, the more he loses his cognitive functions and it reduces his ability to make an informed decision. It seems he has COPD and made the decision prior to a decline in cognitive function? Seems unclear.

That bothers me because she is his spouse and I would think she should respect his wishes, regardless of what her morals are - it's his death, his body, and his decision.
The man is in his 80's and in failing health. He obviously feels that he would rather pick the time of his own departure, rather than helplessly slowly expire in a hospital bed struggling to breathe. If his wife truly loves and respects him, she shouldn't be trying to prevent him, even if he's anxious and delusional. His illness is probably contributing to his failing faculties. Let him go with some dignity.