Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,800x in 4,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    We went south for the winter, but I planted garlic and onions. I read where they grow well over our Pacific North West winters I’ll find out in April.
    hardneck or softneck? Hardneck does better up there I believe.

I'm also giving garlic a go this year (again) but trying hardneck this year, Red Chesnok. This area is better for softneck, but it rotted for some reason when I planted it about 5 years ago.

seeds are in for carrots, radishes, lettuce, spinach, Australian brown onions. This weekend green bunching onions will go in.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,964x in 55,592 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    hardneck or softneck? Hardneck does better up there I believe.

I'm also giving garlic a go this year (again) but trying hardneck this year, Red Chesnok. This area is better for softneck, but it rotted for some reason when I planted it about 5 years ago.

seeds are in for carrots, radishes, lettuce, spinach, Australian brown onions. This weekend green bunching onions will go in.
    I have no idea what strain of garlic. It was something I bought at Lowe’s.

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,515x in 14,777 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunsettommy View Post
    Getting ready to protect part of your garden from frost to get the full harvest?

Try making a schedule 40 Grey PVC based pole set up (last for many years), using 90 degree sweeps to make the roofs, this is the SAFE and STRONG way to make the walls and the roof support, there is no tension built on it, which is why "Hoop" style greenhouse are dangerous, amazed that "experts" push this type of short lived hazard.

I have a couple of raised 4 feet wide by 25 long garden beds, with Bean and peas starting their blooming phase, since the average frost is only 3 weeks away, it means it will be very cool at night long before that happens, which would stunt the beans growth, therefore I will make a set up when completed, will be 3 feet tall, 4 feet wide. Will sink the 1 foot long 1" or 1 1/4" Grey schedule 40 PVC pipe into the ground OUTSIDE of the garden boards. to accommodate the 3/4" grey PVC pipe insertion.

Here is a photo of simple set up, but they make it dangerous and uses the wrong kind of PVC pipe, it is for visual effect only, to show what it would look like having one set up using far better material, using sweeps to eliminate the built up tension of severely bending pipe, which is crazy thing to do.

No pipe cement is needed, just some duck tape instead, that way you can take the while thing down without cutting or breaking anything, cover the inground pope with end caps to keep dirt and water out.

Tee and 4 way tees connects pipes for the roofline and the walls between the "hoops" for strength and wind resistance, just push measured pipes and sweeps together, then some duck tape to prevent them from separating over time.

Fantastic information, I'll look into this next year. Pretty well wrapped up for this season which is unusal

+ Reply to Thread