Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 924x in 547 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fall Gardening

Getting ready to protect part of your garden from frost to get the full harvest?

Try making a schedule 40 Grey PVC based pole set up (last for many years), using 90 degree sweeps to make the roofs, this is the SAFE and STRONG way to make the walls and the roof support, there is no tension built on it, which is why "Hoop" style greenhouse are dangerous, amazed that "experts" push this type of short lived hazard.

I have a couple of raised 4 feet wide by 25 long garden beds, with Bean and peas starting their blooming phase, since the average frost is only 3 weeks away, it means it will be very cool at night long before that happens, which would stunt the beans growth, therefore I will make a set up when completed, will be 3 feet tall, 4 feet wide. Will sink the 1 foot long 1" or 1 1/4" Grey schedule 40 PVC pipe into the ground OUTSIDE of the garden boards. to accommodate the 3/4" grey PVC pipe insertion.

Here is a photo of simple set up, but they make it dangerous and uses the wrong kind of PVC pipe, it is for visual effect only, to show what it would look like having one set up using far better material, using sweeps to eliminate the built up tension of severely bending pipe, which is crazy thing to do.

No pipe cement is needed, just some duck tape instead, that way you can take the while thing down without cutting or breaking anything, cover the inground pope with end caps to keep dirt and water out.

Tee and 4 way tees connects pipes for the roofline and the walls between the "hoops" for strength and wind resistance, just push measured pipes and sweeps together, then some duck tape to prevent them from separating over time.
    Last edited by Sunsettommy; 09-15-2020 at 11:04 AM.
    "Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again." Ronald Reagan

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sunsettommy For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (09-15-2020),Collateral Damage (09-15-2020),donttread (09-19-2020),Peter1469 (09-15-2020)

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 428
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,800x in 4,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunsettommy View Post
    Getting ready to protect part of your garden from frost to get the full harvest?
    Try making a schedule 40 Grey PVC based pole set up (last for many years), using 90 degree sweeps to make the roofs, this is the SAFE and STRONG way to make the walls and the roof support, there is no tension built on it, which is why "Hoop" style greenhouse are dangerous, amazed that "experts" push this type of short lived hazard.

I have a couple of raised 4 feet wide by 25 long garden beds, with Bean and peas starting their blooming phase, since the average frost is only 3 weeks away, it means it will be very cool at night long before that happens, which would stunt the beans growth, therefore I will make a set up when completed, will be 3 feet tall, 4 feet wide. Will sink the 1 foot long 1" or 1 1/4" Grey schedule 40 PVC pipe into the ground OUTSIDE of the garden boards. to accommodate the 3/4" grey PVC pipe insertion.
    Here is a photo of simple set up, but they make it dangerous and uses the wrong kind of PVC pipe, it is for visual effect only, to show what it would look like having one set up using far better material, using sweeps to eliminate the built up tension of severely bending pipe, which is crazy thing to do.

No pipe cement is needed, just some duck tape instead, that way you can take the while thing down without cutting or breaking anything, cover the inground pope with end caps to keep dirt and water out.

Tee and 4 way tees connects pipes for the roofline and the walls between the "hoops" for strength and wind resistance, just push measured pipes and sweeps together, then some duck tape to prevent them from separating over time.
    I've been using hoops with row cover for a number of years, spring and fall.

I use a black pipe (for gas I believe), which flexes well enough, use spikes inserted (pre drilled holes) into the 2x4 upper frame of the raised beds to slip the pipe over to make the hoop. Row cover is laid over and held in place with spring clamps. The hoops are also used to temporarily protect seedlings from the deer with netting until we get the fence built.
    Beds1.jpg
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,885
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,657x in 28,246 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why the Grey PVC? Gray is generally for electrical. Because it is stiffer? Lasts longer in the sun?

I'm doing this before Thanksgiving to replace my old Aluminum frame greenhouse that has seen too many hurricanes.

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Sunsettommy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    Why the Grey PVC? Gray is generally for electrical. Because it is stiffer? Lasts longer in the sun?

I'm doing this before Thanksgiving to replace my old Aluminum frame greenhouse that has seen too many hurricanes.

Grey PVC last a LOT longer in the sun, Electricians use it because it is REQUIRED for electrical wiring installations, better to use Schedule 40 as it is much stiffer than 200 class pipe.

I was a city Maintenance Irrigator for 18 years, know a bit about Irrigation, Pipes, timers and so on. Know a bit about gardening too, was the City gardener before I was promoted.
    Last edited by Sunsettommy; 09-15-2020 at 12:59 PM.
    "Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again." Ronald Reagan

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,974x in 55,601 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We went south for the winter, but I planted garlic and onions. I read where they grow well over our Pacific North West winters I’ll find out in April.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    We went south for the winter, but I planted garlic and onions. I read where they grow well over our Pacific North West winters I’ll find out in April.
    NOT in Eastern Washington!

I would pull them, hang them in a cool place.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,579x in 94,412 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should grow fine without you there to tend to them.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    NOT in Eastern Washington!

I would pull them, hang them in a cool place.
    No. I’m from the Olympic peninsula area.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. I’m from the Olympic peninsula area.
    OK, that is a warmer area.

In my area it can go below zero, which can make them get mushy from freezing damage.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK, that is a warmer area.

In my area it can go below zero, which can make them get mushy from freezing damage.
    Eastern Washington is hotter than hades during the summer, but very cold winters. I would call it a severe climate.

My area is fairly mild all year long.

+ Reply to Thread