Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,497x in 1,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trump and Evangelicals

Trump has shown some amazing things about religion in America and particularly Evangelicals when it comes to political power. You would think Trump Christ-like. But I fail to remember Christ being in favor of caging children or breaking up families. Did I miss that? Two pieces below help, it isn't about being religious, is it? What then of religion? Has it lost its holiness, its goodness. Was it ever about being good....

'How the evangelical movement became Trump's "$#@!" — and yes, I know what that word signifies'

'As an evangelical myself, I can see how far the movement has sunk — even to betraying its own ideal of masculinity'

https://www.salon.com/2020/09/09/how...ord-signifies/

"His most notable advice for interacting with half the human population is "grab 'em by the $#@!". Who could have predicted such an alliance?"

Climate too. Why not pray away hurricanes floods and fires, poverty too while they are at it. Interesting how the mixture of politics and religion accomplishes so little good.

'Faith and politics mix to drive evangelical Christians’ climate change denial'

https://theconversation.com/faith-an...-denial-143145

'Climate science denial may stem more from politics than religion'

'Social scientist Dan Kahan rejects the idea of an automatic link between religiosity and any anti-science bias. He argues that religiosity only incidentally tracks science denial because some scientific findings have become “culturally antagonistic” to some identity groups.'

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money." Matthew 6:24
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,037x in 24,874 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who thinks Trump Christ-like? How many times do we have to tell you that we had two choices. Based on what Cankles said she'd do to the 2nd, the Courts etc, it was an easy choice.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    TheOneOnly2's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 213x in 161 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Who thinks Trump Christ-like? How many times do we have to tell you that we had two choices. Based on what Cankles said she'd do to the 2nd, the Courts etc, it was an easy choice.
    Trump has called himself The Chosen One hasnt he?

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,037x in 24,874 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneOnly2 View Post
    Trump has called himself The Chosen One hasnt he?
    No. That's Lebron.

si_cover_lebron-e1487176174981.jpg
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

TheOneOnly2 (09-17-2020)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    Trump has shown some amazing things about religion in America and particularly Evangelicals when it comes to political power. You would think Trump Christ-like. But I fail to remember Christ being in favor of caging children or breaking up families. Did I miss that? Two pieces below help, it isn't about being religious, is it? What then of religion? Has it lost its holiness, its goodness. Was it ever about being good....

'How the evangelical movement became Trump's "$#@!" — and yes, I know what that word signifies'

'As an evangelical myself, I can see how far the movement has sunk — even to betraying its own ideal of masculinity'

https://www.salon.com/2020/09/09/how...ord-signifies/

"His most notable advice for interacting with half the human population is "grab 'em by the $#@!". Who could have predicted such an alliance?"

Climate too. Why not pray away hurricanes floods and fires, poverty too while they are at it. Interesting how the mixture of politics and religion accomplishes so little good.

'Faith and politics mix to drive evangelical Christians’ climate change denial'

https://theconversation.com/faith-an...-denial-143145

'Climate science denial may stem more from politics than religion'

'Social scientist Dan Kahan rejects the idea of an automatic link between religiosity and any anti-science bias. He argues that religiosity only incidentally tracks science denial because some scientific findings have become “culturally antagonistic” to some identity groups.'

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money." Matthew 6:24
    What an amazingly hyperbolic OP.

The policy of separating children from families started long before Trump took office, and the original proponent was Diane Feinstein, but who cares about facts, right? You'd like to see those children languish in detention centers with their parents? Fascinating.

Then, you launch one of the biggest rants against evangelicals that I've ever seen, but it's an impotent rant because you miss the mark on virtually every issue.

Trump may have the support of evangelicals for whatever reason, but he also has the support of people of liberal denominations, and even those of no religious affiliation, such as myself.

Yes, Trump is flawed. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. How often must we admit that? It's just that all his flaws put together don't come near to reaching the flaws inherent in today's Democratic Party.

Clean up your party first and then you might be worth listening to.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Calypso Jones (09-17-2020)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,539x in 94,396 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul the Apostille was a prolific persecutor of early Jesus followers, yet God chose this man to write 13 of the 27 books of the New Testament.

Hum.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Calypso Jones (09-17-2020),DGUtley (09-17-2020)

Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,999
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteranRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience Points
    Calypso Jones's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,860x in 6,374 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always have to laugh when i hear many liberals reference the bible, God, religion. LOLOL

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Calypso Jones For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (09-17-2020)

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 798
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,497x in 1,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not much relevant commentary on what Trump is actually doing to children and America. Shooting the messenger is as old as time and still irrelevant. For the thoughtful religious see OP. For the apologists and followers of hate and evil carry on.

"It’s a very sad, dark chapter of our history,” says Jacob Soboroff, who was among the first journalists to report on the Trump administration’s family separation policy."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/23/b...-soboroff.html

'Separated: Inside An American Tragedy'

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/49604006-separated

'How Trump’s Policies Hurt Children - Tear Gas, Metal Cages, Lead Poisoning; Welcome to Mr. Trump’s Neighborhood'

https://www.citizen.org/news/how-tru...hurt-children/

"If the concept of God has any validity or any use, it can only be to make us larger, freer, and more loving. If God cannot do this, then it is time we got rid of Him." James Baldwin, 'The Fire Next Time'

"Evil when we are in its power is not felt as evil, but as necessity." Simone Weil
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

+ Reply to Thread