Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 213x in 161 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I agree 100% with what Peter and Cletus wrote. If you found out your kid was going out shooting stray cats and dogs in the neighborhood, would you praise him - tell him what a noble pastime it was and how proud you were of him? The only difference is the size of the hunter and the species of the hunted.

Peter, you mentioned responsible wildlife management - and if what the agencies responsible for ensuring that in many states was doing and calling "wildlife management" served an actual good purpose that would be great; unfortunately it's not.

https://www.centerforwildlifeethics....ling-for-funds
    Well where I live kangaroos are seen as pests for the most part because they eat farmers crops and they also cause a lot of motor vehicle accidents. And hunting with dogs is quite common. So as a kid at the time I didnt feel as though I was participating in anything too bad. All of the parents of these kids knew exactly why they owned the dogs and what they were doing with them. I had a friend thats father bred staghounds. For hunting.

But yeah - kangaroos are culled around here - they are pests and their numbers get out of hand. The legal way to do it a farmer calls in a culler and the culler has tags issued to him by the state and can only kill as many kangaroos as he has tags. You need a license for it. The kangaroo culler sells the meat or skins. But mostly a farmer will just shoot kangaroos themselves - or allow shooters onto their property to kill roos.

Sometimes we did 'rooing' on a farm and we would all ride motorbikes and a few would have four wheelers with the dogs on the back. Its a bit different to doing it on foot because there is no stealth - its about chance and speed. We used to ride dirtbikes out at The Common but never for rooing - it wasnt a large enough area. But on a large farm you can do it with bikes. The best way is on foot though like I described above.

So since kangaroos are pests what we were doing was wildlife management.

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    TheOneOnly2's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    Most folks around here who hunt do it to fill the freezer. A bull Elk will provide around 200 lbs of meat.

I have no use for trophy hunters.
    Nobody hunts for trophies where I live. Its all about killing for fun. But a lot of people will take what they kill for animal food.

Then again - there are pigging magazines and guys send in photos of big boars they have killed. Pigs are seen as a pest here more so than kangaroos and it is legal in some parts of the country to hunt pigs with dogs. Not kangaroos though.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,579x in 94,412 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do people eat kangaroo meat?
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I personally find the idea of hunting repugnant, however I won't impose my personal beliefs in that respect on others. That said, people have a right to hunt for food. They shouldn't have a right to simply kill for fun or trophies, which in IMHO is reflective of a depraved mind, if not a sign of a predilection to kill anything for fun, including people.
    I have thought about the bloodlust I felt when rooing and I think it is linked to the fact that people liked to see death at gladiator fights or how public executions used to be popular. Humans are predators but we have been domesticated over time - but its still in us. When people watch degenerate tv shows and get excited about someone getting voted off at the end of Survivor or The Bachelor I think there is a link from that to our original love of killing.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post

Not really. You can get it at some butchers though. Mostly the cullers want the skins. There is a market for them. I know a guy that used to work with a culler and apparently they are looking to make head shots so they dont put a hole in the skin. Licensed kangaroo shooters are generally the best shooters.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TheOneOnly2 For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (09-18-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    One of the jobs of the guy I know who worked as an offsider for a kangaroo shooter was to kill a wounded kangaroo with a club. If a head shot wasnt made the kangaroo may still be alive so you hit it on the head with a club. So this guy grew up in the city - he said that the first time he had to club a wounded kangaroo he clubbed it in the head as hard as he could and the head exploded and blood went all over him. And the shooter laughed at him and told him kangaroos dont have strong skulls and he only had to give the head a decent tap. Kangaroos dont have much of a skull.

Shooters dont want to waste bullets.

+ Reply to Thread