User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California's anti-independent contractor law is now affecting other states

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,542x in 94,964 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

California's anti-independent contractor law is now affecting other states

I have posted about this before. The law that kills off independent contractors has murdered 1 million jobs in California. Other states are jumping on this bad economic policy. And Joe says he will make it federal law if he wins.

A lot of these losers are independent journalists. I wonder if they have woken up from their self-induced liberal haze.

California’s job-killing AB-5 law, which has already shuttered jobs for as many as 1 million state residents, is influencing other states to weaponize similar regulatory laws against independent contractors.

I live in Indiana, and I'm already losing work with major clients. After being commissioned to write a story for Good Housekeeping Magazine, I began working on it — scheduling interviews and sketching an outline. Days later, I received an email informing me that Hearst, the magazine empire that owns Good Housekeeping and 25 other prominent titles, no longer hires writers from the state of Indiana. My first thought was that they had to be mistaken. After consulting with their legal team and the Indiana Speaker’s House, I discovered that Hearst was spooked by Indiana’s version of the lousy labor law California has adopted. Apparently, it's contagious.

The law in question is the ABC Test, which defines whether a person is an independent contractor or an employee. The ABC Test was written back in the 1930s for factory workers; there have since been many evolutions in the economy and the way Americans work, which is why we have the much more modern IRS Test that leaves true independent contractors alone. The ABC test has just three parts, all of which must be satisfied. A is that the contractor controls his own time and working arrangements; B is that she is doing a service that is outside the company’s line of business; and C is that the person regularly performs the same type of service for other businesses.

Specialized professionals have failed to pass B in more than 300 professions identified in California so far. At least 33 states have some sort of ABC Test and the way things are going, companies are going to take notice just as Hearst did with me. The workers in these professions are our nation’s consultants, our subject-matter experts, the people who earn a better living working for themselves because so many companies in their field want to pay for a piece of their valuable time. I couldn’t pass B because, as a writer, I was in the same line of business as the magazine: publishing. Outside of creating a fraudulent out-of-state address for eligibility, I was out of luck as an Indiana resident. I’ve met several others who experienced the same rejection after accepting commissioned pieces at O Magazine and Good Housekeeping.

Already, businesses in ABC-test states face dire consequences for not complying: potentially thousands of dollars in back taxes, penalties, fines and even jail time. Legal departments don’t want to take that risk, so they have simply stopped working with independent contractors from ABC test states. This type of law spooks employers nationwide. If the PRO Act, a federalized version of AB-5 passes into law, there will be no wiggle room.

What we are experiencing in these handful of states is just a bitter taste of what’s to come if Joe Biden wins the White House and the Democrats take control of Congress, and push the PRO Act — which has already passed the House — through. Biden supports this measure, which will force companies to recognize independent contractors as employees eligible for benefits, or to stop working with them altogether, completely eliminating their income overnight. The latter scenario is what has played out since AB-5 went into effect January 1st in California. Given that the federal government says 55 million Americans are doing independent contractor work, Biden is campaigning on a pledge to outlaw millions of people’s income in the middle of an economic recession.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (09-23-2020),MMC (09-22-2020)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,167x in 27,728 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep Biden said he he would make it a federal law. Costing the country even more jobs.

Of course next week he will forget he said that.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MMC For This Useful Post:

Bigdog (09-22-2020),Collateral Damage (09-23-2020),Peter1469 (09-22-2020)

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 210
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Bigdog's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,635x in 1,030 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Yep Biden said he he would make it a federal law. Costing the country even more jobs.

Of course next week he will forget he said that.
    Lol next week, more like 5 seconds after saying it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigdog For This Useful Post:

MMC (09-22-2020)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,368x in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post

I have posted about this before. The law that kills off independent contractors has murdered 1 million jobs in California. Other states are jumping on this bad economic policy. And Joe says he will make it federal law if he wins.

A lot of these losers are independent journalists. I wonder if they have woken up from their self-induced liberal haze.
    More later, but it's NOT an anti independent law.

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    barb012's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,459x in 906 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The proof of the Dems real goals are piling up every day.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to barb012 For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (09-22-2020)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    More later, but it's NOT an anti independent law.
    It appears to be.

The law in question is the ABC Test, which defines whether a person is an independent contractor or an employee. The ABC Test was written back in the 1930s for factory workers; there have since been many evolutions in the economy and the way Americans work, which is why we have the much more modern IRS Test that leaves true independent contractors alone. The ABC test has just three parts, all of which must be satisfied. A is that the contractor controls his own time and working arrangements; B is that she is doing a service that is outside the company’s line of business; and C is that the person regularly performs the same type of service for other businesses.

Specialized professionals have failed to pass B in more than 300 professions identified in California so far. At least 33 states have some sort of ABC Test and the way things are going, companies are going to take notice just as Hearst did with me. The workers in these professions are our nation’s consultants, our subject-matter experts, the people who earn a better living working for themselves because so many companies in their field want to pay for a piece of their valuable time. I couldn’t pass B because, as a writer, I was in the same line of business as the magazine: publishing. Outside of creating a fraudulent out-of-state address for eligibility, I was out of luck as an Indiana resident. I’ve met several others who experienced the same rejection after accepting commissioned pieces at O Magazine and Good Housekeeping.
    They want these people to either be employers or employees getting benefits.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

MMC (09-22-2020)

Achievements:
    jet57's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It appears to be.

They want these people to either be employers or employees getting benefits.
    Okay, here's the deal. You're talking about California's Proposition 22. This prop was paid for by Uber, Lyft, and delivery Apps like Door Dash. Their hired lawyers wrote it.

I know that Uber; from friends that worked for them, only paid, then $10 and hour to their divers: but only while there was a fare in the car. My two friends quit after just a couple of weeks.

Uber et al want to keep from becoming "employers" and having to pay living wages with benies. They have stolen the independent contractor designation in order to maximize their profits. They and Lyft have almost killed the taxi industry in the SF Bay Area.

People's ignorance is being preyed upon with respect to independent trucking as well: owner operators (small businesses). They are trying to convince people that by not passing prop 22 all theses "independent contractors will suddenly be out of work"; that is nonsense: why?

Owner Operators used to farm their own work with shippers, get their own contracts and build their own relationships based on performance and rates. But now, "Brokers" have taken over the independent industry. The brokers send out their sales people who farm the work and get the contracts from the shippers. The broker dispatches the drivers and pays the driver a percentage, which the drivers used to get themselves. It is The Brokers, like Uber and Lyft who will become the employers and have to pay out benefits.

An independent contract is nor more your employee (something that Uber et al are pushing) than the guy who comes to paint your house. So independent contractors are never going away: prop 22 only applies to uber, lyft and Doordash type of work.

These types of drivers are not now, nor will they ever be employers. They should be employees because these are taxi companies that they drive for.

I hope that irons it out for you: I'm voting against it, because I know what's been goin on and what these companies want and it'll only open up a whole Pandora's box as time goes on.
    Last edited by jet57; 09-22-2020 at 07:59 PM.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, here's the deal. You're talking about California's Proposition 22. This prop was paid for by Uber, Lyft, and delivery Apps like Door Dash. Their hired lawyers wrote it.

I know that Uber; from friends that worked for them, only paid, then $10 and hour to their divers: but only while there was a fare in the car. My two friends quit after just a couple of weeks.

Uber et al want to keep from becoming "employers" and having to pay living wages with benies. They have stolen the independent contractor designation in order to maximize their profits. They and Lyft have almost killed the taxi industry in the SF Bay Area.

People's ignorance is being preyed upon with respect to independent trucking as well: owner operators (small businesses). They are trying to convince people that by not passing prop 22 all theses "independent contractors will suddenly be out of work"; that is nonsense: why?

Owner Operators used to farm their own work with shippers, get their own contracts and build their own relationships based on performance and rates. But now, "Brokers" have taken over the independent industry. The brokers send out their sales people who farm the work and get the contracts from the shippers. The broker dispatches the drivers and pays the driver a percentage, which the drivers used to get themselves. It is The Brokers, like Uber and Lyft who will become the employers and have to pay out benefits.

An independent contract is nor more your employee (something that Uber et al are pushing) than the guy who comes to paint your house. So independent contractors are never going away: prop 22 only applies to uber, lyft and Doordash type of work.

These types of drivers are not now, nor will they ever be employers. They should be employees because these are taxi companies that they drive for.

I hope that irons it out for you: I'm voting against it, because I know what's been goin on and what these companies want and it'll only open up a whole Pandora's box as time goes on.
    It most certainly does not iron out anything. First you aren't voting for this, you already did and it is law. AB-5.

Cali claimed the law was targeting Uber and Lift in order to sell it. It targets almost all independent contractors. Independent journalists are limited to ~35 articles per year. They can't live off that. Same for photographers.

And Uber and Lyft's business model does not include employees. It should not be California's business. As for the drivers, if they want to be an employee apply for a job where you are an employee and not an independent contractor. Don't become an independent contractor and then sue to destroy your boss's business model. The owners of Uber and Lyft should sue these independent contractors for the damages done to their businesses. Put liens on everything they own and earn to include tax refunds. Break those little $#@!s for life.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (09-23-2020),MMC (09-23-2020)

Achievements:
    jet57's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It most certainly does not iron out anything. First you aren't voting for this, you already did and it is law. AB-5.

Cali claimed the law was targeting Uber and Lift in order to sell it. It targets almost all independent contractors. Independent journalists are limited to ~35 articles per year. They can't live off that. Same for photographers.

And Uber and Lyft's business model does not include employees. It should not be California's business. As for the drivers, if they want to be an employee apply for a job where you are an employee and not an independent contractor. Don't become an independent contractor and then sue to destroy your boss's business model. The owners of Uber and Lyft should sue these independent contractors for the damages done to their businesses. Put liens on everything they own and earn to include tax refunds. Break those little $#@!s for life.
    Yes and they’re trying overturn AB5 as it applies to them only in 22.

I don’t think it’s going to pass based on the reasons I stated. It’s a bad business model because it keeps everybody broke, which is why AB5 got passed to begin with.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes and they’re trying overturn AB5 as it applies to them only in 22.

I don’t think it’s going to pass based on the reasons I stated. It’s a bad business model because it keeps everybody broke, which is why AB5 got passed to begin with.
    If it was such a bad business model it would fail on its own. No need for the heavy hand of the State to do it for them.

But too many people demand cradle to grave government assistance.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

+ Reply to Thread