Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,639x in 3,469 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CCitizen View Post
    I can kind of relate to him. I would not give anyone any advice.

Maybe he is also very sensitive.

Fortunately I have no dependents.
    dont breed its good for you and good for the rest of us.

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CCitizen's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,244x in 949 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
    dont breed its good for you and good for the rest of us.
    Your abusive language is uncalled for. Yes, I can not be a producer -- thus I did not take on responsibilities I can not handle.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 2,012
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,450x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    I have a son in law who’s a professional athlete. The name will remain anonymous.

He pisses me off. He’s basically a man child. Talking to him is like talking to a high school kid and he’s 35 years old.

He’s never had a job outside of his sport. He’s so immature and childish it’s infuriating. I’m having a hard time dealing with his childishness.

It’s as if he’s the only person on the planet. Nobody other than him knows anything about nutrition or Physical fitness or anything else for that matter.

I have two grandchildren with this guy. Every five minutes he’s threatening to spank them about doing things that little two and three year old kids normally do.

I start getting pissed off and my wife sees it and calmly walks up to me and says “calm down, remember your daughter”. I could break this guy’s neck in 3.5 seconds.

I’m really having a difficult time dealing with him. I just want to to beat some sense and adult maturity into the guy.

I am sorry that you are unhappy with the situation - it does sound like maybe he's a byproduct of permissive parenting (you mentioned he was/is doted upon) and probably never developed a healthy concept of parenting. I would imagine that is why he thinks spanking for normal behavior is acceptable, because if he was never disciplined and thinks he is God's gift to the planet? Well... permissive parenting can cause as many problems as authoritarian (ideal is authoritative). Individuals learn how to be parents from our own parents first by watching, hearing and experiencing their methods.
    FYIWDWYTM

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,368x in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has nothing to do with me. He acts the same 24/7 with everyone.

I know his parents. They weren’t abusive. In fact it was just the opposite. They doted over him. They still treat him like he’s a teenager.

That being said, your opinion is worthless because I think you’re a clown.
    You just proved my point.

Good luck.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 77,017x in 55,630 Posts
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    I am sorry that you are unhappy with the situation - it does sound like maybe he's a byproduct of permissive parenting (you mentioned he was/is doted upon) and probably never developed a healthy concept of parenting. I would imagine that is why he thinks spanking for normal behavior is acceptable, because if he was never disciplined and thinks he is God's gift to the planet? Well... permissive parenting can cause as many problems as authoritarian (ideal is authoritative). Individuals learn how to be parents from our own parents first by watching, hearing and experiencing their methods.
    Yes, he is a product of permissive parenting and like a child he is extremely self centered.

Tonight I think I may have taken care of part of the problem.

My wife and I are staying on our RV in a local RV park. My son in law’s parents are here too, but they are staying with my daughter and their son at their house.

Tonight my wife and my daughter went to Papa Murphy’s to buy a few pizzas for dinner. All of us were going to have dinner and share a few bottles of wine.

When my wife and daughter came back from Papa Murphey’s with the pizza’s my son in law threw a childish hissy fit. He told my daughter that he cant eat pizza because he’s training tomorrow and the cheese will screw him up. Then he demanded that she goes to go get him a certain submarine sandwich right now.

I looked at my wife and said “that’s it. I’ve had enough” I said “joe, let’s go out on the deck I want to tell you something”. We went out on their deck and I said “ I understand that you’re my daughter’s husband and the father of two of my grandchildren, but I’m her father and if you ever talk to my daughter like that in front of me again, I’ll kick your ass up to your shoulders. Do you understand me”? He stood there mute. I scared him. He could tell I was pissed off and not just irritated.

His father heard this. He didn’t object. In fact he was shocked by his son’s attitude because he loves my daughter as if she was his daughter.
    I guess I must have been louder than I thought because when we went back inside the house no one spoke for a few minutes. I think I made a point. I hope it made an impact.

I don’t like doing something like that, but I don’t like having a need to do something like that even more.

This has been building for five or six years. My wife told me tonight that she was surprised it took me this long to erupt.

I have a great relationship with my other son in law. He treats my youngest daughter like she’s a queen. In fact I’ve told him that he’s spoiling her and he says “yeah I know. She’s the best part of my life” I can’t argue with that.
    Last edited by Tahuyaman; 09-26-2020 at 10:48 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

Perianne (09-27-2020),Peter1469 (09-27-2020)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    You just proved my point.

Good luck.
    You have no point. Go away.

The mood I’m now, I’d beat into a mud puddle and walk away laughing about it.
    Last edited by Tahuyaman; 09-27-2020 at 01:15 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (09-26-2020)

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CCitizen's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,244x in 949 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully everything works out, no one gets hurt, and the family stays intact.

I can not advice anyone here. Fortunately I did not take upon myself responsibility beyond my ability.

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 2,036
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Booman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,708x in 17,899 Posts
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a son in law who’s a professional athlete. The name will remain anonymous.

He pisses me off. He’s basically a man child. Talking to him is like talking to a high school kid and he’s 35 years old.

He’s never had a job outside of his sport. He’s so immature and childish it’s infuriating. I’m having a hard time dealing with his childishness.

It’s as if he’s the only person on the planet. Nobody other than him knows anything about nutrition or Physical fitness or anything else for that matter.

I have two grandchildren with this guy. Every five minutes he’s threatening to spank them about doing things that little two and three year old kids normally do.

I start getting pissed off and my wife sees it and calmly walks up to me and says “calm down, remember your daughter”. I could break this guy’s neck in 3.5 seconds.

I’m really having a difficult time dealing with him. I just want to to beat some sense and adult maturity into the guy.
    Well if I were to give you my two penneth I would tell you to let it go. As your wife said "remember your daughter". She's your daughter and they are your grandchildren. However your life is separate from theirs. You have to let them live it how they want. With that said you are not an idiot so why not pick your battles wisely? he might be a man child but he is still an adult. There is no reason why you cannot give him your opinion on certain things regardless of how he feels on the subject. I'm sure your daughter knows you and loves you so if you hurt his feelings she will know you did not mean to. Basically over time you could turn him into a mature adult. Just be subtle but firm.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to The Booman For This Useful Post:

Tahuyaman (09-26-2020)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Is he supporting your daughter and grandchildren (even if they are both working)?
    Is your daughter happy with this man?
    Is he abusing your daughter or grandchildren?
    Those are good questions. He hasn’t earned a cent this year because his events have all been cancelled because of the virus. My daughter earns a good living and she’s basically the lone supporter of her family right now. All he does now is train. He does have a minor income from a shoe contract and dietary supplement endorsements.

My daughter loves him, but she’s not happy with his selfishness and immaturity. Seriously, talking to him is like talking to a teenager and he’s 35 years old. I warned her about this before they got married, but she didn’t seem to care.

I’m not raising their children. That’s their job, but it irritates me that he’s constantly using the threat of a spanking to get my two year old grandson to mind or do the things you ask him to do.

Like tonight. My grandson didn’t want to eat all of his dinner. That’s not unusual for a two year old. My son in law addressed it by saying “are you going to eat or do you want a spanking”. A two year old for crying out loud. They have a beautiful six month old little girl. He doesn’t give her much attention.

We are supposed to leave Colorado Monday morning. I don’t know that I can last another day here without busting his nose. My wife can see I’m ready to explode and that concerns her. That would be ugly and it would hurt my daughter as well. I’m really trying to maintain calamity, but it’s difficult.

I‘m venting.
    Last edited by Tahuyaman; 09-26-2020 at 11:15 PM.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Just find a way to deal with him. There are a couple of people in my family (not related by blood) that I have learned how to deal with over the years and it's fine. Meet them where they are. Speak to that. Never go outside the box that they can understand.
    I’ve really tried. It seems that the older he gets the more childlike he becomes.

+ Reply to Thread