User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Rare are False Accusations of Sexual Assault?

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CCitizen's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,244x in 949 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Rare are False Accusations of Sexual Assault?

It is Common Knowledge that 2% -- 10% of Sexual Assault allegations are false and >90% of allegations are true. Is there any data supporting such knowledge?

Some Feminists cite results published in ``False Allegations of Sexual Assault: An Analysis of Ten Years of Reported Cases" published in Violence Against Women in 2010. According to the study presented in the article, 5.9% of 136 rape allegations were determined to be false. On p. 1330 of the journal, the article sites eight studies. These studies show that 2% -- 11% of sexual assault allegations were determined to be false.

Anyone who has not studied the article could interpret the data as ``5.9% of allegations are false and 94.1% of allegations are true." The correct interpretation is ``5.9% of allegations are determined to be false, while the real percentage of false and true accusations remains unknown". According to the article p. 1319,
    The determination that a report of sexual assault is false can be made only if the evidence establishes that no crime was committed or attempted. This determination can be made only after a thorough investigation. This should not be confused with an investigation that fails to prove a sexual assault occurred...

``Evidence that the assault did not happen” might include, for example, physical evidence and/or statements from credible witnesses that contradict key aspects of a victim’s account.
    Other cases may be true or false. The standard of evidence used to show that an accusation is false in the aforementioned study is higher then the standard of evidence necessary for a rape conviction. Convictions have been obtained on accuser's testimony alone.

What percentage of rape cases have been proven true? Once again, different data sources give different answers. In USA 1992, 20% of all rape accusations have been proven beyond a reasonable doubt. In UK 2016, 7.5% of all rape accusations have been proven beyond a reasonable doubt. During the Fiscal Year 2015, there were 6,083 reports of Sexual Assault in US Military. Only 254 of these cases resulted in conviction, which is 4.2%.

Using the data for allegations which have been proven false, and those which have been proven true, we can determine the prevalence of false accusations of sexual assault to the best of our knowledge. According to available evidence, 2% to 10% of sexual assault allegations are determined false, 4% to 20% of sexual assault allegations are determined true, and in 70% to 94% of cases only the accuser and the accused know the truth. According to the Common Knowledge, 2% to 10% of sexual assault allegations are false, and the rest are true.

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 2,868
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,667x in 28,253 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How would you ever know that answer?

In the Kavannuagh hearing it was 100% false.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

CCitizen (09-30-2020),Lummy (09-29-2020),Peter1469 (09-30-2020)

Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,999
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteranRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience Points
    Calypso Jones's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,860x in 6,374 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nationally maybe those figures are correct. I don't know that what you claim is common knowledge. I rather doubt it. Where did you hide your link.

You must be leaving out the stats for democrat women claiming rape especially against republican men. Overwhelmingly false and then they disappear after the candidate is either destroyed or confirmed.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is one of those numbers that you will never know. Most cases are 1 persons word against the other when they know each other. So few are solved when they don't. It's also why one of the reasons that it goes unreported.

I was listening to the advertisement for the Class Action Law Suit against the Boy Scouts. As I heard it I wondered how many were after the money and how many would never come forward. As a man, I am not going to come forward and tell the public that I was raped. If they protect me then they are being unfair to anyone that I accuse.

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 798
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,497x in 1,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    How would you ever know that answer?

In the Kavannuagh hearing it was 100% false.

Many people confirmed Kavanaugh was a sexual abuser and bad drunk, but the right wing follows and believes. A weird un-American adherence to false information so long as it supports their idols and hurts another. It has become a trademark of the modern so called right wing conservative and republican. Sad how easily some are led.

https://www.factcheck.org/2018/11/fb...h-accusations/

Back on-topic, men do some stupid things when it comes to women, anyone who has worked in a major industry will have seen or know of these acts, most are macho stupidity but some go too far. Progress comes slowly to humanity, look at Trump and his assumption that he could grab women's privates. Wonder when he'll sue all his accusers? Anyone know? Now imagine Trump's comments and now watch him in debate? The man is like the spilled child screaming, I want my way and I'm gonna get it. What a child buffoon we have as president.
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,594x in 94,422 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the 2-10% number is correct, it represents a significant number of false claims.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

CCitizen (09-30-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    Many people confirmed Kavanaugh was a sexual abuser and bad drunk, but the right wing follows and believes. A weird un-American adherence to false information so long as it supports their idols and hurts another. It has become a trademark of the modern so called right wing conservative and republican. Sad how easily some are led.

Back on-topic, men do some stupid things when it comes to women, anyone who has worked in a major industry will have seen or know of these acts, most are macho stupidity but some go too far. Progress comes slowly to humanity, look at Trump and his assumption that he could grab women's privates. Wonder when he'll sue all his accusers? Anyone know? Now imagine Trump's comments and now watch him in debate? The man is like the spilled child screaming, I want my way and I'm gonna get it. What a child buffoon we have as president.
    No one did that. Your a propagandist.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (09-30-2020)

Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,999
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteranRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience Points
    Calypso Jones's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,860x in 6,374 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post

oh really. LOLOL

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Calypso Jones For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (09-30-2020)

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    barb012's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,459x in 906 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the woman has something to gain other then criminal charges by saying she was sexually assaulted, false claims would be high.

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 420
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,805x in 4,162 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CCitizen View Post
    It is Common Knowledge that 2% -- 10% of Sexual Assault allegations are false and >90% of allegations are true. Is there any data supporting such knowledge?
    Some Feminists cite results published in ``False Allegations of Sexual Assault: An Analysis of Ten Years of Reported Cases" published in Violence Against Women in 2010. According to the study presented in the article, 5.9% of 136 rape allegations were determined to be false. On p. 1330 of the journal, the article sites eight studies. These studies show that 2% -- 11% of sexual assault allegations were determined to be false.

Anyone who has not studied the article could interpret the data as ``5.9% of allegations are false and 94.1% of allegations are true." The correct interpretation is ``5.9% of allegations are determined to be false, while the real percentage of false and true accusations remains unknown". According to the article p. 1319,
    Other cases may be true or false. The standard of evidence used to show that an accusation is false in the aforementioned study is higher then the standard of evidence necessary for a rape conviction. Convictions have been obtained on accuser's testimony alone.

What percentage of rape cases have been proven true? Once again, different data sources give different answers. In USA 1992, 20% of all rape accusations have been proven beyond a reasonable doubt. In UK 2016, 7.5% of all rape accusations have been proven beyond a reasonable doubt. During the Fiscal Year 2015, there were 6,083 reports of Sexual Assault in US Military. Only 254 of these cases resulted in conviction, which is 4.2%.

Using the data for allegations which have been proven false, and those which have been proven true, we can determine the prevalence of false accusations of sexual assault to the best of our knowledge. According to available evidence, 2% to 10% of sexual assault allegations are determined false, 4% to 20% of sexual assault allegations are determined true, and in 70% to 94% of cases only the accuser and the accused know the truth. According to the Common Knowledge, 2% to 10% of sexual assault allegations are false, and the rest are true.
    Considering that 'sexual assault' has been reinterpreted to include things like an unrequested kiss or a touch to the arm or hand, and some even included verbal comments (some comments can be down right crude and insulting) but sexual assault?

While there are extremes on both ends of the subject, by definition assault is physical contact with intention to do harm. That is what so many people seem to have lost sight of.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

+ Reply to Thread