Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 213x in 161 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time Top 100 Fantasy Novels Controversy

Time Magazine has made a list of what it says are 'The 100 Best Fantasy Books of All Time' and it seems that nobody is happy about it. I heard about it the other day because I follow this hot blue stocking chick that is a fantasy book aficionado on youtube and she was really annoyed about the list - and since watching her video I keep getting youtube suggestions from other book nerds and every one of them is outraged.

I dont read a lot of fantasy because I hate the modern fandom associated with it. For example I despise adult Harry Potter fans. I also cannot stand the Lord of the Rings fandom ( and their stupid LOTRO game ). People that watched Game of Thrones make me want to vomit. And in general I hate the modern fad of fantasy novel fandom because I feel as though it is rooted in degeneracy and its also quite elitist which is utterly ridiculous since these pathetic fools are reading about %$%$ing wizards and elfs and whatnot. I also do not understand the term 'adult fantasy'. Obviously 'adult fantasy' contains adult themes and focuses on degeneracy - sex, rape, adultery, murder etc - like Game of Thrones - but its still. At the end of the day these people are reading books about wizards and elves so I think its a bit silly that they are so elitist and look down on others. Another thing is that most of these 'adult fantasy' fans spend a lot of time reading young adult fantasy which is also pretty degenerate and has a focus on sex like the Twilight series for example - young adult fantasy has a focus on teen sex rather than adult sex is the only real difference. Plus most of these people love Harry Potter and that is why they are the way they are - it never ended for them. They never grew up.

Its not as though I am against traditional fantasy though - one of my best friends when I was a kid was always reading the Terry Pratchett Discworld books and while I havent read a lot of them I have read some and I liked them - my favourite Terry Pratchett book that I have read is Equal Rites which is about a little girl called Esk that is a wizard. I have never read a Harry Potter book but I dont understand why there isnt more love for Esk - she is a great character and the book Equal Rites is perfect for modern times. Esk is way better than Harry Potter. But yeah my favourite fantasy writer is Terry Brooks. When I was a kid I loved the Magic Kingdom series - its a great series. I actually remember asking for a getting The Black Unicorn which is the second book in the Magic Kingdom series for Xmas when I was 12 or 13 and being really happy about it so I guess I was kind of a nerd. Ha.

The thing about Pratchett and Brooks is that their books are good wholesome fun and in my opinion that is what fantasy should be. Sure their books contain some adults themes but nothing degenerate.

So everyone seems to have some kind of problem with Times stupid list and mine is that unless I missed it there are no Terry Brooks books on the list and this is an outrage. Terry Brooks is influential as %$%$ when it comes to the fantasy genre. How the %$%$ do you make a list of the top 100 fantasy books and not have any Terry Brooks books on there? I am probably the only one that feels this way because the elitist freaks of modern fantasy fandom dont seem to have a high opinion of Terry Brooks. Many of these modern fantasy freaks seem to fancy themselves as budding fantasy writers and someone has told them that Terry Brooks is not a good writer. There are all these %$%$ing rules for writing a book apparently and according to these freaks Terry Brooks has not followed them. They claim that his books are poorly written. Apparently when you sit down to write a book you need to use some kind of %$%$ing template that some book professors at some university came up with and you follow that template and if you do the result will be a well written book.. I cant stand this kind of thinking. One of my favourite authors is Jack London and even I would admit that he probably isnt the best writer in the world but that doesnt means he couldnt write a good book. But I guess with Jack London his target audience wasnt a bunch of gate keeping elitist book %$%$wits that were going to judge his books based on some %$%$ing template devised by some %$%$ing book professors at some %$%$ing university so his books sold and the people that read them enjoyed them. Jack London was writing for us - not those %$%$ing idiots.

But yeah - no Terry Brooks. You have got to be %$%$ing kidding me. When I was a kid the big two fantasy guys were Pratchett and Brooks. He has to be on the list. I mean %$%$ - MTV made a tv show based on his The Shannara Chronicles series and sure that probably came about because of the fact that modern fantasy fandom is so big but clearly when MTV was looking for a way to cash in on this they had the sense to try to use an author that was influential in the genre. Terry %$%$ing Brooks. There has also been talk of a movie based on the Terry Brooks Magic Kingdom series for a few years now and I really hope that gets made because it would make a great movie that you could actually watch with your kids.

So Time justifies this propaganda list by having it selected by a panel which included N.K. Jemisin, Neil Gaiman, Sabaa Tahir, Tomi Adeyemi, Diana Gabaldon, George R.R. Martin, Cassandra Clare and Marlon James. Now I couldnt give a %$%$ about any of these people but as hot blue stocking youtuber chick Elliot Brooks points out the list it totally biased by having these modern fantasy %$%$wits on the panel. I guess the best thing about this Time list is that is has encouraged the modern fantasy fandom to turn on these degenerate authors. I am enjoying seeing the fat degenerate %$%$ George R.R. Martin getting some hate from his own. So that is one good thing to come of this list.

Anyway - my favourite book that is on the list is The Arabian Nights. I do not think that The Arabian Nights is a very good book but I like it because it is hilarious. I certainly wouldnt read it to a child. Its funny to me that people think that The Arabian Nights is suitable for children. The beginning for goodness sake.. Cuckoldry, murder, wife beating... How is this appropriate for children? Tame by George R.R. Martin standards to be sure but that fat disgusting gluttonous %$%$ isnt writing books for children at least. I was also happy to see some Roald Dahl on the list because I had pretty much all of his books as a young kid and it was him and Australian author Paul Jennings that got me into reading. I was never a great fan of James and the Giant Peach though. The BFG was ok I guess. How about The Witches?

So how about you guys? Are you as outraged as the rest of us about this ridiculous Time Magazine 'The Best Fantasy Books of All Time' list? Is your favourite fantasy author or book missing from this list? What is your favourite book that is on the list?

Here is the Elliot Brooks youtube video on this -

And this guy is hilarious -

https://time.com/collection/100-best-fantasy-books/

Last edited by TheOneOnly2; 10-18-2020 at 08:05 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TheOneOnly2 For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (10-18-2020)

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 793
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,092x in 12,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mervyn Peake's 'Gormenghast' trilogy puts every other fantasy story I've ever read to shame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gormenghast_(series)
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

TheOneOnly2 (10-19-2020)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like sci fi, at least it has some potential for being true at some point. I don't understand the appeal of "fantasy" novels where anything that the writer wants to happen can happen because they want it to happen.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

TheOneOnly2 (10-19-2020)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,590x in 94,419 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed fantasy in the past. Lord of the Rings was simply brilliant.

Not I like military sci fi, and SHTF fiction especially the military type.

Galaxy Edge , On Silver Wings, and Ark Royal are great examples of the former. Arisen and The Remaining are two series that are great examples of the latter.
    Last edited by Peter1469; 10-19-2020 at 11:55 AM.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

TheOneOnly2 (10-19-2020)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,135
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,380x in 15,849 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vaguely recall back in the 70s/early 80s reading the First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. It was two separate trilogies. I just found out a few minutes ago that the series ran all the way into 2013 and actually consisted of 10 books. I don't really recall that much about them other than the main character was a Leper and there was a group of characters called the Bloodguard that I found pretty impressive.

The author was Stephen Donaldson. I have read very little fiction in the last 35 years or so.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

TheOneOnly2 (10-19-2020)

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    TheOneOnly2's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I enjoyed fantasy in the past. Lord of the Rings was simply brilliant.

Not I like military sci fi, and SHTF fiction especially the military type.

Galaxy Edge , On Silver Wings, and Ark Royal are great examples of the former. Arisen and The Remaining are two series that are great examples of the latter.
    My favourite military sci fi story is probably The Defenders by Phillip K Dick. Second Variety is also pretty good.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,590x in 94,419 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneOnly2 View Post
    My favourite military sci fi story is probably The Defenders by Phillip K Dick. Second Variety is also pretty good.
    I'll have to check those out.

And of course Starship Troopers- the book. The movie (first one) was entertaining, but the book is amazing.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

nathanbforrest45 (10-19-2020),TheOneOnly2 (10-19-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And of course Starship Troopers- the book. The movie (first one) was entertaining, but the book is amazing.
    Another one by Heinlein that is quite good is "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress"

I was a huge Heinlein fan, having read "The Rolling Stones" while in the 4th grade. In the 70's when he became a deviate I lost interest in him.

I later discovered I was a fan before I read The Rolling Stones, since one of my favorite TV programs as a child was "Tom Corbett, Space Cadet" which was written by him.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (10-19-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only movie I have seen based on his books that was actually based on his books was "The Puppet Masters". It did follow the book very closely. Starship Troopers was a Heinlein creation in name only.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111003/

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    TheOneOnly2's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a movie called Screamers (1995 ) that is based on Second Variety. It stars Peter Weller. It is not exactly a masterpiece but its also not as bad as most people say.

+ Reply to Thread