User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are the Big Bang and Genesis Actually the Same Story?

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 553
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,420x in 20,391 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    When did I ever reject God?
    How could we confuse you with a Christian by the way you post in here?
    How do you even explain God in the same manner in which you constantly attack those of Christian faith with your not-so-Christian comments?
    But let's ask the big question: Do you have faith or facts? How was the universe formed?
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,999
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteranRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience Points
    Calypso Jones's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,860x in 6,374 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    How'd it mess up the two stories?
    \

i meant and mean no disrespect to you. This particular instance...these are not two stories...it is one story. It is a well know Jewish technique of going back to spend more time on a particular issue. The story given in Chapter one and then in chapter 2 it goes back to expound on the creation of man. I'd expect the jewish writer of that piece to know that but ha'aretz i've never found to be particularly concerned with God in any positive way.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 98.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,391x in 54,973 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    \

i meant and mean no disrespect to you. This particular instance...these are not two stories...it is one story. It is a well know Jewish technique of going back to spend more time on a particular issue. The story given in Chapter one and then in chapter 2 it goes back to expound on the creation of man. I'd expect the jewish writer of that piece to know that but ha'aretz i've never found to be particularly concerned with God in any positive way.

OK, well, normally I would read them as two stories, told at different times by different authors with different events and themes in mind, but the author of the piece in the OP is looking at them as the same story, one focused on creation of the universe and the other on man.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    barb012's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,459x in 906 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw the connection between science and Genesis is when I was studying the Human Genome, Microbiology and virology. The words in Genesis that stand out are separate and divide which those words are commonly used to describe cell activity. The burning Bush to me means photosynthesis.

What I could not find anywhere is if the Genesis story during its entire history of translation, did any of the words to describe it was changed at any point in the past.

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barb012 View Post
    I saw the connection between science and Genesis is when I was studying the Human Genome, Microbiology and virology. The words in Genesis that stand out are separate and divide which those words are commonly used to describe cell activity. The burning Bush to me means photosynthesis.

What I could not find anywhere is if the Genesis story during its entire history of translation, did any of the words to describe it was changed at any point in the past.
    Or lost in translation?
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

jet57 (10-21-2020)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,368x in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barb012 View Post

Intriguing; how does the burning bush translate to photosynthesis?

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 553
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,420x in 20,391 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Intriguing; how does the burning bush translate to photosynthesis?
    If you actually believed in God, you would know that question is irrelevant.
    God is everywhere and in everything. He assumes whatever form he needs.
    Question: How did God talk to Moses?
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,999
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteranRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience Points
    Calypso Jones's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,860x in 6,374 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the funny thing about recopying the bible texts was that the writing were considered so holy that even the mistakes were put aside but saved. There is no document...if i may use that term that has survived intact the way that the bible has to this modern day. NOT SAYING that there have been attempts TO mistranslate but God says that he protects his word...and he has.

God says he will preserve his word:

Psalm 12:7 6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. 7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever. (Psalm 12:6-7, KJV)

Isaiah 55:10–11 says, “As the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, . . . So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void” (KJV). void in this case means 'empty'.
    Last edited by Calypso Jones; 10-21-2020 at 03:05 PM.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    the funny thing about recopying the bible texts was that the writing were considered so holy that even the mistakes were put aside but saved. There is no document...if i may use that term that has survived intact the way that the bible has to this modern day. NOT SAYING that there have been attempts TO mistranslate but God says that he protects his word...and he has.

God says he will preserve his word:

Psalm 12:7 6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. 7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever. (Psalm 12:6-7, KJV)

Isaiah 55:10–11 says, “As the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, . . . So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void” (KJV). void in this case means 'empty'.

God can but man cannot flawed as he is.

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever happened -- however it happened -- was so long ago that even the memory of it is lost to the immagination.

A big bang?

Who's really to say?

I'm more of the mind that it started quite small rather than booming ferociously into existance. Pre-creation means pre-space, pre-stars, pre-planets, pre-solar dust.

I'm more of the mind that in the vast nothingness there came a thought. And then the thought, thought, which created another thought, and so on, and so on...

But, that was eons before any primordial soup manifested.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

+ Reply to Thread