User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: How Can Peace Finally Come to Afghanistan?

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 2,929
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,646x in 28,237 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Really. The exact mirror of US policy on Sept 10, 2001 is the Peter1469, 2020 return to Afghanistan's internal realities are of no interest to the US.

Oh but. Yes it was indeed our problem. "Before 9-11", al-Qaeda brazenly bombed US embassies. Before 9-11, the USS Cole was attacked by al-Qaeda. These operations being planned, facilitated, funded, and managed from a Taliban harbored al-Qaeda in Afghanistan. Likewise Sudan.

Correct. On Sept 10th, 2001, few considered Jihadism a threat, had never heard of Afghanistan. On Sept 11, 2001, few indeed weren't standing there with their jaw on the floor watching our nation so violently attacked, few not shocked at this 'Jihadism threat' you allude to. Our own aircraft used against us, suicided into our twin towers in NY and into our Pentagon in Washington DC. Few that morning didn't realize that we had ignored the internal affairs of Afghanistan...and it was to our own peril. Especially given the many attacks managed from Afghanistan itself "before 9-11."

I've read more than a few opinions on that topic Pete. Read media accounts, brought military opinion to the table. Opined on more than a few threads on the local forum, I've never seen a person, much less "people" who are even discussing the 'micromanagement of Afghan internal affairs.' I can certainly understand a debate discussing the internal affairs of Iraq, but even Bush's War and then Obama's surge never attempted to micromanage in Afghanistan.
    Are you sure about that? I'm not.
    OBL was found in Pakistan. He was there for at least years. There is also no doubt in my mind that the Pakistani government knew about his being there.
    We actually do not know that he was not in Pakistan the entire time. He knew we were looking in Afghanistan.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (10-24-2020)

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,781
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ransom's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 15,009x in 10,721 Posts
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree Pakistan was involved and harbored Bin Laden as well. But the training camps, their bases of operations for the most part, were in Taliban protected Afghanistan. Not to exclude the equally influential realities in Sudan and Middle East.

Observers here speak only to what was considered our problems, from the US perspective. But what are al-Qaeda's problems, look from their perspectives? Why launch this Jihad against America, our embassies, ships, and homeland? Where was the hatred coming from, who had really attacked us and why.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @donttread would know. Happy Fall, donttread, I hope you and yours are well.

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I don't let the US government decide who my enemies are.
    Yea, you do.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,520x in 94,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Destroying transnational terrorists inside Afghanistan is completely different from nation-building inside Afghanistan. One is easy. The other impossible.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Red Lily (10-25-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Destroying transnational terrorists inside Afghanistan is completely different from nation-building inside Afghanistan. One is easy. The other impossible.
    Preventing the Taliban from governing Afghanistan not a micromanagement policy. Understanding the internal affairs in Afghanistan are absolutely in every national security interests of the United States is far from an attempt to nation build. One cannot ignore Afghanistan nor tolerate a Taliban government. That government would destabilize nuclear Pakistan, a governing Taliban would harbor and facilitate Jihadists and would present a threat to our national security....like they were on September 10, 2001.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:

bulletbob (10-24-2020)

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,493
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    PJL's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 982x in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Preventing the Taliban from governing Afghanistan not a micromanagement policy. Understanding the internal affairs in Afghanistan are absolutely in every national security interests of the United States is far from an attempt to nation build. One cannot ignore Afghanistan nor tolerate a Taliban government. That government would destabilize nuclear Pakistan, a governing Taliban would harbor and facilitate Jihadists and would present a threat to our national security....like they were on September 10, 2001.
    I have yet to hear any believable reason why America is in Afghanistan at all....let alone have a conversation with itself about how they should get out . The War on Terror has been about as effective as the War on Drugs , and both have achieved the exact opposite of their supposed intentions . America seems destined to sow the seeds of it's own destruction from both within and without ,and all the while living under the delusion that it is "exceptional" .

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,619
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bulletbob's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,639x in 3,469 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PJL View Post
    I have yet to hear any believable reason why America is in Afghanistan at all....let alone have a conversation with itself about how they should get out . The War on Terror has been about as effective as the War on Drugs , and both have achieved the exact opposite of their supposed intentions . America seems destined to sow the seeds of it's own destruction from both within and without ,and all the while living under the delusion that it is "exceptional" .
    The war on terrorism has been effective plo yoir just to dense to see it aka stupid.
    Especially with Iran and isis . we have denutted Irans money flow which effects their ability to fund terrorist.
    As for why we are 8n Afghanistan it has to do with a guy named Osama bin Laden maybe you have heard of him.
    Daaaaaaaa your so snart .
    The ? Taliban we're supporting him and helping him and hiding him dimwit .
    We would like to see the people there be free from radical terrorist control .

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bulletbob For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (10-25-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PJL View Post
    I have yet to hear any believable reason why America is in Afghanistan at all....let alone have a conversation with itself about how they should get out .
    I just explained this to you.

The War on Terror has been about as effective as the War on Drugs , and both have achieved the exact opposite of their supposed intentions . America seems destined to sow the seeds of it's own destruction from both within and without ,and all the while living under the delusion that it is "exceptional" .
    The War on Terror indeed extremely effective when using correct policies, the US a Republic thus its' Commander in Chief and policies change somewhat. And America does sow its' own seeds of destruction and you're correct again, from within. However, a China-virus currently our most deadly adversary, one that has killed more than Islamic Terrorism. A virus you're absolutely blind to.

And I assure you, PJL...…..you've so much to learn on this Terrorism/Afghanistan/Iraq topic, I'm not sure you want to go down this avenue. Perhaps cars, fishing, some sport we are both fans of......this topic isn't what Austin Powers would call 'your bag, Baby.' Let's talk autumn, religion, garden, or cooking talents. You're in way over your head at the moment.
    Last edited by Ransom; 10-25-2020 at 05:05 AM.

+ Reply to Thread