Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 213x in 161 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you play Risk?

When I was 18 or 19 I was kind of friends with this guy and one day he tells me that he bought a second hand Risk board game at this market thing they used to have at a park on weekends where I was living at the time. I had never heard of the game and he described it by saying that rich guys like Donald Trump play it. Which is funny. I think I had seen the Seinfeld episode where Kramer and Newman are playing it but I had never seen the game or played it and didnt remember it was called Risk. So we used to play it pretty regularly for a while and he beat me a couple of times but mostly I would kick the %$%$ out of him. I was pretty good at Risk right away. And I really liked the game.

So years later I bought the Risk video game on Steam and I played it a bit but the computer AI on expert is an idiot so its really not worth playing because its too easy. Years after that I found the online Risk game on Google Play and that was when I really enjoyed Risk the most because I could play against worthy opponents. It wasnt until I played Risk online that I got to know how much strategy a game can involve and how important every turn can be. Its easy to throw a game away on one stupid mistake if you are playing against good competition. And you can feel like a real idiot if you make a stupid mistake - especially if you make that stupid mistake late in a very long game.

So I got myself to the rank of Grandmaster on the Google Play Risk which is actually not that hard. But at the same time I would say that I am a pretty good Risk player at this point.

You can get a lot of interesting storylines play out in a game of Risk online. For example you often get a scenario where one player is in a dominant position and there are two other players left - and if you have or form an alliance with that player you could work together to defeat the dominant player but to do so you may have to leave yourself open to an attack by your ally. And your ally may choose to attack you due to the fact that the top two players get rank points from the game so your ally may decide to double cross you and go for second place. You should never trust an ally in Risk - especially at expert and grandmaster level - double crossing your ally at the right point is all part of the game after all - but at the same time scenarios do arise where a player can choose between making a move that one could consider to be honourable or dishonourable in my opinion. The way I see it there isnt a lot of honour in double crossing an ally to secure second place.

I prefer fixed cards rather than progressive and I like to play the classic map the most. And I really like to play with blizzard mode on and fog of war with no alliances if I host a game. I also really like to play Capital Risk.

Anyway - any of you guys play Risk? How do you like to play? Progressive or fixed? What maps do you like? Fog or war fans?

If you are wanting to get into Risk or even if you play it already this guy ChampionEver has a good Risk channel on youtube and he has videos worth watching. He is good. He is pretty funny too -

Last edited by TheOneOnly2; 10-23-2020 at 05:57 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheOneOnly2 For This Useful Post:

Docthehun (10-26-2020),Lummy (10-23-2020),OGIS (12-14-2020)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never played it, but it sounds like foreign relations.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lummy For This Useful Post:

TheOneOnly2 (10-23-2020)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,583x in 94,415 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I played Risk a lot growing up. I think I still have a board set here.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (11-28-2020),TheOneOnly2 (10-23-2020)

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,113x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You get Australia or South America in the first turn or two and you win.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 425
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,800x in 4,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has been decades since I played that.

It does teach one strategy, at least if you want to win....
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 426
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Casey Jones's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 298x in 164 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brother got a game-set for his birthday, when we were kids. I was 9 and a bit young to understand the concept of Geopolitics.

I played a few rounds with his friends on weekend winter nights...I remember little of it, except that your arms strength and vaguries of war involved a lot of chance, also how you played the odds.

What I remember most was that strange nation I'd never heard of - Ukraine. I'd heard most of the others, but never that one. I thought it was made up. Asked my father, I don't remember his answer, except to learn that it was part of the Soviet Union...

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,758
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    montana's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,147x in 3,093 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't play RISK but take them every day.

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,139
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cthulhu's Avatar Senior Member
    The spaces between cognitive thought and passive nightmares
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 8,079x in 5,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the game, okay with my kids occasionally around the table.
    "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

Ephesians 6:12

Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 549
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Docthehun's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,497x in 2,935 Posts
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneOnly2 View Post
    When I was 18 or 19 I was kind of friends with this guy and one day he tells me that he bought a second hand Risk board game at this market thing they used to have at a park on weekends where I was living at the time. I had never heard of the game and he described it by saying that rich guys like Donald Trump play it. Which is funny. I think I had seen the Seinfeld episode where Kramer and Newman are playing it but I had never seen the game or played it and didnt remember it was called Risk. So we used to play it pretty regularly for a while and he beat me a couple of times but mostly I would kick the %$%$ out of him. I was pretty good at Risk right away. And I really liked the game.

So years later I bought the Risk video game on Steam and I played it a bit but the computer AI on expert is an idiot so its really not worth playing because its too easy. Years after that I found the online Risk game on Google Play and that was when I really enjoyed Risk the most because I could play against worthy opponents. It wasnt until I played Risk online that I got to know how much strategy a game can involve and how important every turn can be. Its easy to throw a game away on one stupid mistake if you are playing against good competition. And you can feel like a real idiot if you make a stupid mistake - especially if you make that stupid mistake late in a very long game.

So I got myself to the rank of Grandmaster on the Google Play Risk which is actually not that hard. But at the same time I would say that I am a pretty good Risk player at this point.

You can get a lot of interesting storylines play out in a game of Risk online. For example you often get a scenario where one player is in a dominant position and there are two other players left - and if you have or form an alliance with that player you could work together to defeat the dominant player but to do so you may have to leave yourself open to an attack by your ally. And your ally may choose to attack you due to the fact that the top two players get rank points from the game so your ally may decide to double cross you and go for second place. You should never trust an ally in Risk - especially at expert and grandmaster level - double crossing your ally at the right point is all part of the game after all - but at the same time scenarios do arise where a player can choose between making a move that one could consider to be honourable or dishonourable in my opinion. The way I see it there isnt a lot of honour in double crossing an ally to secure second place.

I prefer fixed cards rather than progressive and I like to play the classic map the most. And I really like to play with blizzard mode on and fog of war with no alliances if I host a game. I also really like to play Capital Risk.

Anyway - any of you guys play Risk? How do you like to play? Progressive or fixed? What maps do you like? Fog or war fans?

If you are wanting to get into Risk or even if you play it already this guy ChampionEver has a good Risk channel on youtube and he has videos worth watching. He is good. He is pretty funny too -

Excellent board game, way too easy on-line. Get North America off the bat and you can win 90% of the games. Same strategy hold true with friends. I suppose it was designed that way (USA #1)

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    TheOneOnly2's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 213x in 161 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)