Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,261x in 12,384 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Simple Fix for an Ugly Skin Problem

A couple of months ago, my big white cat Storm began getting these really nasty little arrowpoint-shaped scabs on his back. They obviously itched and bothered him because he was always licking them, and in fact had licked one quarter-sized spot raw. When I realized that they were rapidly spreading and not clearing up, I took him to the vet. She told me that there were several possible causes, but that it was most likely some kind of allergic reaction and recommended a steroid shot. She said that if it was effective we could expect it to keep working for three or four months.

Within a couple of days Storm's skin began to clear up and within three or four days he was scab-free. A few weeks later I noticed it starting to come back in a couple of places, but then it was gone again almost immediately, so apparently the stuff is still in his system and working.
    “Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (11-09-2020)

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,870x in 4,195 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    A couple of months ago, my big white cat Storm began getting these really nasty little arrowpoint-shaped scabs on his back. They obviously itched and bothered him because he was always licking them, and in fact had licked one quarter-sized spot raw. When I realized that they were rapidly spreading and not clearing up, I took him to the vet. She told me that there were several possible causes, but that it was most likely some kind of allergic reaction and recommended a steroid shot. She said that if it was effective we could expect it to keep working for three or four months.

Within a couple of days Storm's skin began to clear up and within three or four days he was scab-free. A few weeks later I noticed it starting to come back in a couple of places, but then it was gone again almost immediately, so apparently the stuff is still in his system and working.
    Having been through just about every imaginable cat skin issue (exaggeration, but lots of them) the one it took the doctor a while to figure out was intestinal parasites.

Also a come-and-go issue, the pinhead sized scabs would show up in clusters, antibiotic shot cleared them up, for them to show back up somewhere else in a couple of months.

Just a thought.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

Standing Wolf (11-09-2020)

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 2,237
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    Having been through just about every imaginable cat skin issue (exaggeration, but lots of them) the one it took the doctor a while to figure out was intestinal parasites.

Also a come-and-go issue, the pinhead sized scabs would show up in clusters, antibiotic shot cleared them up, for them to show back up somewhere else in a couple of months.

Just a thought.
    That sounds like something entirely different, though. These "scabs" were much bigger than a pin-head and shaped like a spear point (not an arrow point, like I incorrectly wrote before) and the steroids did the trick. I've read that repeated steroids use in cats can cause some organ problems, so I'm hoping we don't have to repeat it too often, if at all.
    “Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use a general purpose antimicrobial skin treatment, bath or spray, once a day for seven days, and call a doctor if the problem persists. Cats are magnets for problematic microbes.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lummy For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 2,237
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    Use a general purpose antimicrobial skin treatment, bath or spray, once a day for seven days, and call a doctor if the problem persists. Cats are magnets for problematic microbes.
    I will probably try something like that if it starts to come back, just to avoid having to resort to the steroid treatment and the potential for liver and other organ problems that it might cause if he gets it too often.

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there are over-the-counter treatments with which your vet or even your pet store would be quite familiar.

Also, your cat's diet is very important in preventing these problems. I don't know much about this area, but I know that much.
    Last edited by Lummy; 11-09-2020 at 12:41 PM.

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,272
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,049x in 8,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post

Can they do allergy testing? It's possible that it's something in his food or environment that's causing the allergic reaction, in which case changing his food or eliminating the environmental allergen might resolve the problem. I know someone whose golden lab developed a terrible allergy issue and they eventually figured out that some variety of very tiny insect like weevils or mites that were present in the dry dog food were causing the allergic reaction. Since these bugs are in almost all dry dog food, the solution was to stop feeding him dry dog food.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread