User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheist Group Shutdowns Kansas School “Operation Christmas Child” Participation

Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassSocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    EvilCat Breath's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 965x in 637 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    It happened because many Atheists are part of the always offended activist crowd. They don't want separation as much as elimination or in the very least out of sight.
    They want elimination.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to EvilCat Breath For This Useful Post:

Sybil Ludington (11-16-2020)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    The Constitution does not prohibit religious display or plays. If the school board chose to terminate the play because somebody complained and said it was a violation of the Constitution, they are a bunch of cowards who should immediately be removed from any position of authority.

I am an atheist. I think the whole religion thing is superstition, BUT I also understand the importance of religion in the lives of many people and my feeling on it is if it brings strength, comfort and guidance in life and harms no one else, it is a good thing. I don't need to share in your beliefs to respect them.

These "activist" atheist groups need to just grow up and stop trying to force their will on others. At the same time, religious groups need to stop rolling over and start standing up for themselves. There is a lot of stupid on both sides.
    As an atheist I agree 100%.

The so-called separation of church and state was/is aimed at protecting the church from the state and not the other way around as progressives see it.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Cletus (11-16-2020),Cthulhu (11-20-2020),FindersKeepers (11-18-2020),Peter1469 (11-17-2020)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,135
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,380x in 15,849 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sybil Ludington View Post
    Rice bowl? I've never heard that term before...
    It's an Army thing. It kind of means area of responsibility. If something is in your "rice bowl", it is your responsibility.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (11-16-2020),Private Pickle (11-16-2020),Sybil Ludington (11-16-2020)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,427
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RichardMZhlubb's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,562x in 3,590 Posts
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sybil Ludington View Post
    And...Operation Christmas Child‘ is a bad thing because........................?
    No one said that it’s a bad thing. But, it is clearly a religious program and public schools are prohibited from sponsoring religious programs like that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RichardMZhlubb For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (11-17-2020)

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardMZhlubb View Post
    No one said that it’s a bad thing. But, it is clearly a religious program and public schools are prohibited from sponsoring religious programs like that.
    Prohibited by what, exactly?

It is not the Constitution. I don't believe there is anything in the US Code that prohibits it. What prohibits schools from sponsoring a religious themed children's play?

Please be specific and include a citation if you can.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (11-16-2020)

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crepitus View Post
    “Vice Principal Ron Hill has been using his position to promote and endorse his personal religious beliefs to students.”
    Would you still be ok with it if he was a muslim?

Here's my take on that. If it was something religious taught in the classroom I would say no probably, be it Judaism, Christianity, Islam, or any other religion. However, because this is an extracurricular activity, then I see no problem so long as it fits in with the community and its general beliefs. The OP case probably fits the community well and no academic should try to tear the community apart. Say something similar was done in a largely Muslim community in oh say Dearborn MI then I'd say it fits in well with the community and the school should serve the needs of that community, serve to bring them together as a community some secular academic notwithstanding.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Cletus (11-16-2020)

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,113x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prohibited by what, exactly?

It is not the Constitution. I don't believe there is anything in the US Code that prohibits it. What prohibits schools from sponsoring a religious themed children's play?

Please be specific and include a citation if you can.
    Well there are about 8 that I can think of but what is your take on McCollum v. Board of Education?
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Board of Education vs. Mergens, 88-1597, JANUARY 09, 1990.

“There is a crucial difference between government speech endorsing religion, which the Establishment Clause (of the First Amendment) forbids, and private speech endorsing religion,” said Justice Sandra Day O’Connor for the court. Allowing students to meet on campus and discuss religion is constitutional, O’Connor said, because it does not amount to “state sponsorship of religion.”

If a high school allows meetings of groups such as the chess or the stamp club, whose activities are “not directly related to” the curriculum, it must also allow religious groups to meet there, O’Connor said.

...Justice John Paul Stevens, the lone dissenter, said that the ruling “creates a constitutional obligation to allow student members of the Ku Klux Klan or the Communist Party to have access to school facilities.”

But O’Connor noted that the federal law allows school authorities to ban disruptive groups.
    https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...20for%20prayer.

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Here's my take on that. If it was something religious taught in the classroom I would say no probably, be it Judaism, Christianity, Islam, or any other religion. However, because this is an extracurricular activity, then I see no problem so long as it fits in with the community and its general beliefs. The OP case probably fits the community well and no academic should try to tear the community apart. Say something similar was done in a largely Muslim community in oh say Dearborn MI then I'd say it fits in well with the community and the school should serve the needs of that community, serve to bring them together as a community some secular academic notwithstanding.
    That makes sense, but give me your input here. What if it was a class about religion, but not advocating a particular religion? Say, a class that focused on comparing the basic tenets of various religions, their similarities, their differences, but did not tout any one as superior to any other.

Would you object to that?

I would kind of like to throw that question out to the general board, both those who support a particular religion and those who do not.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (11-16-2020)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That makes sense, but give me your input here. What if it was a class about religion, but not advocating a particular religion? Say, a class that focused on comparing the basic tenets of various religions, their similarities, their differences, but did not tout any one as superior to any other.

Would you object to that?

I would kind of like to throw that question out to the general board, both those who support a particular religion and those who do not.

No, I wouldn't object. How could you teach any history of the US without mention of Christianity and the big part it played. Would history would have to include other religions. Also any comparative religion class, as you say, not sure you'd find that until college but still that's fine. It's not establishing or exercising religion.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Cletus (11-21-2020)

+ Reply to Thread