Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,050x in 8,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Private Pickle View Post
    Humans should not interact with wild animals.
    - It increases the likelihood of animal attack on humans because animals familiar with humans often become aggressive.
    - It disturbs the natural surrounding ecosystem.
    - Human food is oftentimes not good for wildlife...or even humans...
    - Having that many animals in one place increases the likelihood of disease transmission either to humans or among other animals.
    This fellow has been feeding the raccoons for about 20 years and raccoons are particularly adaptable when it comes to food. While they do become rather bold, as you can see with this fellow, they are smart enough not to menace someone who is feeding them. Rabies is the only disease that would be a concern to humans but a rabid animal would be unlikely to be among a large group of raccoons since the disease affects the brain, making them disoriented and far more likely to be on their own. They also carry distemper, so it may not be a great idea if you have dogs or cats that spend time outdoors, who may encounter these visiting animals, although your pets certainly should be vaccinated if they are going to be outdoors.

That said, as an urban dweller, I am accustomed to seeing many raccoons living in the neighborhood. They are called trash pandas for a reason. Any issues regarding rabies or distemper apply whether you feed them or not. I wouldn't advise urban or suburban dwellers to feed raccoons because they can be such a nuisance and they are apt to become very bold with people who don't care to feed them. The fellow in the video appears to live in a more rural setting near the woods, so the raccoons specifically patronize his home and go back to the woods to live.

When I was a kid, we always used to feed the squirrels, especially during the winter. Some would even take food from your hand. There was never an issue. I think feeding wild geese is more of an issue - they can be really aggressive.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,257
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    It's always tempting to do what he's doing, and he's not caging them, so it's safer than if he did.

Females can get nasty when they're pregnant, or with young. Raccoons are a quite interesting, but I just trap them and relocate them when they come around. They can do a lot of damage to homes as they sneak their way into a structure for the winter.
    Raccoons nesting in the attics of homes is an issue in my area. They are amazingly adept at making holes, but then again, so are squirrels and they are even more likely to get into your attic. My area is full of both. Trapping would be a waste of time, there are so many of them around. Just lately we have had a skunk invasion for some reason. I had to keep closing the windows in the evening this past summer because the skunks were constantly spraying - probably the raccoons.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,257
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is where he lives:

Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,114x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    This fellow has been feeding the raccoons for about 20 years and raccoons are particularly adaptable when it comes to food. While they do become rather bold, as you can see with this fellow, they are smart enough not to menace someone who is feeding them. Rabies is the only disease that would be a concern to humans but a rabid animal would be unlikely to be among a large group of raccoons since the disease affects the brain, making them disoriented and far more likely to be on their own. They also carry distemper, so it may not be a great idea if you have dogs or cats that spend time outdoors, who may encounter these visiting animals, although your pets certainly should be vaccinated if they are going to be outdoors.

That said, as an urban dweller, I am accustomed to seeing many raccoons living in the neighborhood. They are called trash pandas for a reason. Any issues regarding rabies or distemper apply whether you feed them or not. I wouldn't advise urban or suburban dwellers to feed raccoons because they can be such a nuisance and they are apt to become very bold with people who don't care to feed them. The fellow in the video appears to live in a more rural setting near the woods, so the raccoons specifically patronize his home and go back to the woods to live.

When I was a kid, we always used to feed the squirrels, especially during the winter. Some would even take food from your hand. There was never an issue. I think feeding wild geese is more of an issue - they can be really aggressive.
    None of what you just said voids any of the points I've made.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

+ Reply to Thread