User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Inauthenticity Behind Black Lives Matter

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,532x in 55,048 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The Inauthenticity Behind Black Lives Matter

Shelby Steele explores The Inauthenticity Behind Black Lives Matter

...The old began in what might be called America’s Great Confession. In passing the 1964 Civil Rights Act, America effectively confessed to a long and terrible collusion with the evil of racism.... This triggered nothing less than a crisis of moral authority that threatened the very legitimacy of American democracy.

...In the culture, whites and American institutions are effectively mandated by this confession to prove their innocence of racism as a condition of moral legitimacy. Blacks, in turn, are mandated to honor their new freedom by developing into educational and economic parity with whites. If whites achieve racial innocence and blacks develop into parity with whites, then America will have overcome its original sin. Democracy will have become manifest.

This was America’s post-confession bargain between the races—innocence on the white hand, development on the black.... But there is a problem with these mandates: To achieve their ends, they both need blacks to be victims. Whites need blacks they can save to prove their innocence of racism. Blacks must put themselves forward as victims the better to make their case for entitlements.

...Yet there is an elephant in the room. It is simply that we blacks aren’t much victimized any more. Today we are free to build a life that won’t be stunted by racial persecution. Today we are far more likely to encounter racial preferences than racial discrimination. Moreover, we live in a society that generally shows us goodwill—a society that has isolated racism as its most unforgivable sin.

This lack of victimization amounts to an “absence of malice” that profoundly threatens the victim-focused black identity. Who are we without the malice of racism? Can we be black without being victims? The great diminishment (not eradication) of racism since the ’60s means that our victim-focused identity has become an anachronism....

...Thus, for many blacks today—especially the young—there is a feeling of inauthenticity, that one is only thinly black because one isn’t racially persecuted. “Systemic racism” is a term that tries to recover authenticity for a less and less convincing black identity. This racism is really more compensatory than systemic. It was invented to make up for the increasing absence of the real thing....
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (11-24-2020),FindersKeepers (11-24-2020),HawkTheSlayer (11-24-2020),MMC (11-24-2020)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post

Those who need to read this and internalize it will be the ones who shun it at all costs. Because, they simply have no intention of being strong and independent. They prefer their victimology.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (11-24-2020),Chris (11-24-2020),MMC (11-24-2020)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,167x in 27,728 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hoover Fellow: The Black Lives Matter Movement Is Deeply Unserious......

Shelby Steele, a senior fellow at Stanford University’s Hoover Institution said Friday that the contemporary civil rights movement under the banner of “Black Lives Matter” was deeply unserious, catering to an old form of victimization that has accomplished nothing to lift up black people.

“There’s a pathos here. It’s like we’ve done this too many times. We’ve been here too many times, we’ve seen this kind of thing and there’s a big hallabaloo and then it sort of fades away and this is already beginning I think to fade. What was it all about? What was the point? What did these various groups, what did they want?” Steele asked on Fox News’ Special Report with Bret Baier.

I don’t take Al Sharpton seriously. I know him, he’s a nice person. I will take his message here seriously when he stands before a congregation like that, a black people in America over a tragic event and says what black Americans can do to get out of the situation that we’re in. No one from the president on down anywhere says what role, what’s going on with black America? Why are they so dependent on white America, on the government. That all they can think of is themselves as victims which of course deflates themselves as human beings, undermines their best energies, their best intentions, and so after 50, 60 years now past the civil rights bill, we’re worse off than many socioeconomic categories than we were.

Steele went on to explain that this African-American dependency emerged out of white Americans desperately seeking to prove themselves as non-racist.

“White Americans live under this accusation that they’re not racist. They need to prove that they’re not racist. In order to prove that you’re not racist, you need to take over the fate of black people and say, go with us, we’ll engineer you into the future. We’ll engineer you into equality,” Steele said. “Life doesn’t work like that. We have to engineer ourselves. Period. There is no other way.”

Baier pushed back on Steele’s assertion about an absence of demands from today’s Black Lives Matter movement, including the destruction of law enforcement and reparation payments to African-American communities.

“I will take those things seriously when I also hear from Sharpton and others the argument that we need within the black community to work on the institution of marriage,” Steele said, citing the fact that 75 percent of black children are born out of wedlock with no father.

“I don’t care how many social programs you have. You’re not going to overcome that.”.....snip~

Hoover Fellow: The Black Lives Matter Movement Is Deeply Unserious (thefederalist.com)
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MMC For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (11-24-2020),Chris (11-24-2020),FindersKeepers (11-24-2020)

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,498x in 1,842 Posts
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That writing and opinion was like entering the twilight zone, it made no f-ing sense to a conscious person living in the America, one would need to live deep in a cave of denial.

"To be a Ne-gro in this country and to be relatively conscious is to be in a rage almost all the time." James A. Baldwin

James Baldwin: ‘I Can’t Accept Western Values Because They Don’t Accept Me’

https://lithub.com/james-baldwin-i-c...ont-accept-me/

'What it means to be anti-racist"

https://www.vox.com/2020/6/3/2127824...ces-antiracism
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    HawkTheSlayer's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,602x in 5,184 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    That writing and opinion was like entering the twilight zone, it made no f-ing sense to a conscious person living in the America, one would need to live deep in a cave of denial.

"To be a Ne-gro in this country and to be relatively conscious is to be in a rage almost all the time." James A. Baldwin

If he can't accept western values, no one is stopping him from seeking happiness in a third world dictatorship.
    Last edited by HawkTheSlayer; 11-24-2020 at 03:08 PM.
    Today we live. Tomorrow we die
    Evil is da Devil minus da D.

"Evil is powerless if the good aren’t afraid"- Ronald Reagan

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HawkTheSlayer For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (11-24-2020),Peter1469 (11-25-2020),RMNIXON (11-24-2020)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,167x in 27,728 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shelby Steele Understands Current Racial Issues

https://www.lifezette.com/2020/11/shelby-steele...
    20 hours ago · If you haven’t read Shelby Steele you’re doing yourself an intellectual disservice. Along with Thomas Sowell, he is perhaps our best analyst on the racial strife afflicting America today.

No wonder you couldnt comprehend reality.

Tom Jones said it was not Unusual for you!
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MMC For This Useful Post:

HawkTheSlayer (11-24-2020)

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Throughout the essay Steele speaks of the "old racial order" which Baldwin belonged to, in contrast to the new unserious, inauthentic one.

You really don't say anything to rebut Steele's opinions.

Anti-racism comes from CRT.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

HawkTheSlayer (11-24-2020)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    More on anti-racism: Post-George Floyd, a Wave of 'Anti-Racist' Teaching Sweeps K-12 Schools Targeting 'Whiteness'

...In dramatic, urgent language, K-12 schools across the country – both public and private – professed solidarity with Black Lives Matter and vowed to dismantle white supremacy, as they scrambled to introduce anti-racist courses and remake themselves into racism-free zones.

Fabienne Doucet, a New York University professor of early childhood education and urban education, said this momentum has been building for decades and the culture now appears primed to understand race in America from the moral perspective of the Black Lives Matter movement.

“What’s really different now – and this has been decades in coming – is talking explicitly about whiteness,” Doucet said, citing a term that academics and activists use to critique the cultural, political and economic dominance exercised by Europeans and their descendants.

Doucet, who’s on leave from NYU and working as a program officer at the William T. Grant Foundation in New York, acknowledged that some of the content of anti-racist pedagogy may seem militant to those hearing it for the first time. But, she said, it serves an important purpose: chronicling the nation’s history from all perspectives, even if those perspectives conflict with one another.

...The rapid and radical changes in public and private schools have triggered a backlash among some parents who find the anti-racist message to be anti-white and anti-American, and those who say it’s historically inaccurate, inflammatory and divisive....

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

RMNIXON (11-24-2020)

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 1,138
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,962x in 18,196 Posts
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had BLM figured out a long time ago, before the current wave of Riots over George Floyd and others.....

There was a black man and criminal suspect killed by some local police that resulted in a constant wave of protests at local city council meetings long before any investigation was completed. At one point they had to end a meeting in the interests of public safety because the increased security could not handle the BLM crowds bent on threats and public disruptions.

I watched video of some of these incidents and more than a few of the worst offenders were actually white BLM radicals of the Marxist kind. They made it clear while shouting that the police were not the only problem in their minds, our entire civil society had to be taken down!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to RMNIXON For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (11-25-2020)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    I had BLM figured out a long time ago, before the current wave of Riots over George Floyd and others.....

There was a black man and criminal suspect killed by some local police that resulted in a constant wave of protests at local city council meetings long before any investigation was completed. At one point they had to end a meeting in the interests of public safety because the increased security could not handle the BLM crowds bent on threats and public disruptions.

I watched video of some of these incidents and more than a few of the worst offenders were actually white BLM radicals of the Marxist kind. They made it clear while shouting that the police were not the only problem in their minds, our entire civil society had to be taken down!
    White liberals are worse than BLM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (11-24-2020)

+ Reply to Thread